BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/)
-   -   How does the 8700 know it's in the holster? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/39321-how-does-8700-know-its-holster.html)

cdysthe 06-26-2006 12:12 PM

How does the 8700 know it's in the holster?
 
Hi,

The profiles on my 8700g has different ringer setting for it being in the holster or not. This may be a stupid question, but how does the BB know that it's in the holster? :)

/C

Seattle18 06-26-2006 12:13 PM

It has a magnet built into it, and there is another magnet in the holster, as well as third party cases, and when then two magnets are within range of each other they place the BB in Sleep mode.

XDS 06-26-2006 01:26 PM

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wonder if the BB's are "Magnet Resistant" do to this.

Most magnets don't play well with Hardware of anykind.

ebgreen 06-26-2006 01:36 PM

No, no...the engineers at RIM intentionally put a magnet into the device that will break the device.

NJBlackBerry 06-26-2006 01:50 PM

The front of the BB has a magnetic switch (I believe) which is activated when it comes into proximity with the magnet in the holster.

chrisnol 06-26-2006 02:17 PM

They say its a magnet. I believe the screen sensor (which controls the screen brightness) senses the total darkness of the holster. Then again it may be the pressure of the holster walls causing some pressure sensor to activate. Then again, it could be ... alright. I'll concede -- its the magnet.

toddest 06-26-2006 02:58 PM

My 8700 does not recognize when it is in the holster. Anyone have any idea's how to get this fixed?

thanks

WolfKeeper 06-26-2006 03:00 PM

Is it a third-party holster? Might be missing the magnet.

bjallen2880 06-26-2006 03:01 PM

Easy test -
 
Got an OEM Holster? Look for silver button on back of holster near the bottom.

Now place that silver dot over the 'B' key. Does the screen immediately turn off? Does it turn on when you move it away?

billclark 06-26-2006 04:03 PM

You guys and your magnets... you completely shot my "little elves living inside my Blackberry" theory to hell ;)

-B

johnfromphilly 06-26-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddest
My 8700 does not recognize when it is in the holster. Anyone have any idea's how to get this fixed?

thanks


You need to tell us what holster you are using.

Just a stab in the dark but if it is the OEM holster be aware that it has to be put in the holster with the face in. The screen should not face out.

Starz26 06-26-2006 08:48 PM

There was also a problem with some early OEM holsters that the BB did not seat properly and the magnet never got a change to put it to sleep.

gadgetfanatic 06-26-2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdysthe
Hi,

The profiles on my 8700g has different ringer setting for it being in the holster or not. This may be a stupid question, but how does the BB know that it's in the holster? :)

/C


Everyone knows that BlackBerrys are magic!!!

tprime 06-27-2006 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
Everyone knows that BlackBerrys are magic!!!

No really if your not looking at the blackberry it gets frustrated and goes asleep.:smile:

AlbertoM 06-27-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDS
Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wonder if the BB's are "Magnet Resistant" do to this.

Most magnets don't play well with Hardware of anykind.

Speakers have magnets.

AlbertoM 06-27-2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisnol
They say its a magnet. I believe the screen sensor (which controls the screen brightness) senses the total darkness of the holster. Then again it may be the pressure of the holster walls causing some pressure sensor to activate. Then again, it could be ... alright. I'll concede -- its the magnet.

No. Each individual BB is cursed by a mage.

PaulPoker 06-27-2006 09:50 AM

well with my 8700 BB if i press the ALT and ENTER yet at the same time it locks it the same way as if it's in the holster ;)

Plus my case (holster) does not look like it has a magnetic in it at all - its just the standard 8700 Ornage UK jobby. it's a nice black leather one with a metal clip on it.

ebgreen 06-27-2006 11:59 AM

You better hope it has a magnet. That is the only way that the BB knows to suspend in the holster.

blk n blu 06-27-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDS
Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wonder if the BB's are "Magnet Resistant" do to this.

Most magnets don't play well with Hardware of anykind.

REALLY???? Come on dude. Do you really think they would out it in there to make thier otherwise very reliable product break??!?!

toddest 06-27-2006 09:54 PM

Hi guys,

I have the original holster that came with the 8700c. It does not recognize when its in the holster. It works on occasion, but very rarely. I have tried a friends holster (Original too) and it still does the same thing?

anyone help?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.