BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 3 Week Old 8700g - Is a System Upgrade Necessary?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys,

My 8700g is just shy of being 3 weeks old. I noticed on the TMO site that there's a download available for my device which they're calling a 'system upgrade'....

Desktop Manager Software 4.1.1.12
Handheld version 4.1.0.284

Do I need to run these? How do I tell what version my 8700g came with? I searched under the 'options' icon but couldn't find an OS version.

I'm wondering if I need to do this, as I haven't really experienced any issues with my BB - though I do want the latest firmware. What improvements can I expect?

Thanks in advance to all!
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just download this HANDHELD SOFTWARE and install it..It's the latest version for your device..

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...B999EC0D90D1FB
DELETE the VENDOR.XML file after you install the package onto your computer...and then run desktop manager and that will update your device..
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One
Posts: 811
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
Hi Guys,

My 8700g is just shy of being 3 weeks old. I noticed on the TMO site that there's a download available for my device which they're calling a 'system upgrade'....

Desktop Manager Software 4.1.1.12
Handheld version 4.1.0.284

Do I need to run these? How do I tell what version my 8700g came with? I searched under the 'options' icon but couldn't find an OS version.

I'm wondering if I need to do this, as I haven't really experienced any issues with my BB - though I do want the latest firmware. What improvements can I expect?

Thanks in advance to all!
your handheld version is the latest one for TMO.
However, i installed HK CSL OS to gain the ability of reading / sending chinese thru email / sms; but i still have not resolved the issue of not receing the chinese email correctly.
__________________
-- TMO Blackberry 8700g since 09/24/2006
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
just download this HANDHELD SOFTWARE and install it..It's the latest version for your device..

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...B999EC0D90D1FB
DELETE the VENDOR.XML file after you install the package onto your computer...and then run desktop manager and that will update your device..
Will I notice any improvements by doing so?

Forgive my 'newbieness', but how do I delete the file? I've never done anything like this (i.e. upgrading system). Thanks!
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
Will I notice any improvements by doing so?

Forgive my 'newbieness', but how do I delete the file? I've never done anything like this (i.e. upgrading system). Thanks!


that's the idea of firmware updates...They address problems and then fix them....

So yes, there are a multitude of improvements...Will you notice? I can' tell you that..I can say, it won't hurt..
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
that's the idea of firmware updates...They address problems and then fix them....

So yes, there are a multitude of improvements...Will you notice? I can' tell you that..I can say, it won't hurt..

Hmmm, I just figured out how to see what version I have currently on my BB and it is v4.1.0.284. I suppose I don't need the download then that's on the TMO site?

Your link to the BB site shows v4.1.0.466. Is this the one you recommend?
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
Hmmm, I just figured out how to see what version I have currently on my BB and it is v4.1.0.284. I suppose I don't need the download then that's on the TMO site?

Your link to the BB site shows v4.1.0.466. Is this the one you recommend?


correct...Tmo's version is VERY old...The one I directed you to is the latest version...

Good luck...
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
correct...Tmo's version is VERY old...The one I directed you to is the latest version...

Good luck...

Thanks again and forgive my confusion!
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One
Posts: 811
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
Hmmm, I just figured out how to see what version I have currently on my BB and it is v4.1.0.284. I suppose I don't need the download then that's on the TMO site?

Your link to the BB site shows v4.1.0.466. Is this the one you recommend?
the link is for Bharti Tele-Ventures provider. from what I read, it should be inter-changeable along with different wireless carrier thou.

As i mentioned, I have a 8700g and I loaded the CSL 8700g OS.
__________________
-- TMO Blackberry 8700g since 09/24/2006
Offline  
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
mymitsu3kgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Warwick, RI
Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 1,213
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

All the 8700g devices sold from TMobile will already have the most current OS version installed. V.4.1 is the newest available OS. The extra three digits are the versions selected by each carrier fine tuned to work the best with the specific service provider. They are interchangable but one is not neccessarily "newer" than the other, just slight changes like the radio code. I suggest staying with .284 because that is the version selected by TMobile. Once V.4.2 comes out for the 8700g, that's another story. Desktop Manager V.4.2 is out but it won't help much having the media center, just the Device swap would be handy if you have more than one BB.
__________________
T-Mobile Bold 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I disagree about staying with the latest carrier version. The original Cingular OS had bugs. Features were added at some point like support for Zen. You can always downgrade if you like. Not sure if there are improvements over the TM .284 but I thought it was .309 that fixed a Zen theme icon issue if I remember.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
mymitsu3kgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Warwick, RI
Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 1,213
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I agree, if there are bugs, then it would be beneficial to "upgrade" to something like .309. I, however, haven't noticed any bugs at all in .284 and I was able to unlock Zen theme.
__________________
T-Mobile Bold 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymitsu3kgt
I agree, if there are bugs, then it would be beneficial to "upgrade" to something like .309. I, however, haven't noticed any bugs at all in .284 and I was able to unlock Zen theme.
Thanks for the info. I for one haven't noticed any problems with .284, though I don't know what to look for. Guess it's a good sign I haven't 'noticed' any issues. Think I'll stick with it. I'd love to unlock the zen theme though.

Any chance you could provide SIMPLE instructions?
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
mymitsu3kgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Warwick, RI
Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 1,213
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

You need thorough instructions rather than simple. Just search "8700 Zen" or some variation of that.
__________________
T-Mobile Bold 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymitsu3kgt
You need thorough instructions rather than simple. Just search "8700 Zen" or some variation of that.

I was afraid of that I'll search, thanks.
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
I was afraid of that I'll search, thanks.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...tml#post191267

Feeling benevolent today.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: none
Posts: 83
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog

Thanks...clicked on the link but still unsure what to do. Since I have .284, do I just download the .alx download for the 8700 series? Will it be pretty straightforward from there? Would hate to mess anything up on my BB. As you can tell, this is my first and I'm still a newbie.
Offline  
Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hf1khal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA
Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T
Posts: 906
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
Thanks...clicked on the link but still unsure what to do. Since I have .284, do I just download the .alx download for the 8700 series? Will it be pretty straightforward from there? Would hate to mess anything up on my BB. As you can tell, this is my first and I'm still a newbie.
It is simple all I did is following the instructions. Delelt the vendor and replace the ALX (always make backup copies of the two just in case) and things will go very smooth. Once you run the new FW OS, Delete/replace the files, then run DTM and DTM will do all the rest. You can always go back by downloading the original and reinstalling it as it was. It should take any where between 20 to 30 mintues.
__________________
BB 8800c / 8100c / 8700c / iphone3G
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.