BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/)
-   -   Wi-Fi : To be or not to be ?? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/50589-wi-fi-not.html)

bully 10-13-2006 12:27 AM

Wi-Fi : To be or not to be ??
 
Can Blackberry 8700g (f,c,etc) connect on hot spot city with Wi-Fi capability ? Works ?

plchan 10-13-2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bully
Can Blackberry 8700g (f,c,etc) connect on hot spot city with Wi-Fi capability ? Works ?

no. it cant because it does not have wifi capability.

jibi 10-13-2006 01:34 AM

...coming with the 8800. see that sub-forum for more details. we won't see this functionality on the 8700, though.

plchan 10-13-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi
...coming with the 8800. see that sub-forum for more details. we won't see this functionality on the 8700, though.

i think i would get the 8800 when it releases next yr :)

tsac 10-13-2006 09:34 PM

I wonder why a carrier would allow bypass to Wi-Fi?

NJBlackBerry 10-14-2006 07:15 AM

To allow for a better customer experience. T-Mobile showed me a phone that roamed onto WiFi from their network. Works great in your home (hint - get rid of that pesky land line) and will work really well as cities wire for WiFi. It was pretty neat. Called it a "UMA" phone. Not out yet.

Nickster248 10-14-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
To allow for a better customer experience. T-Mobile showed me a phone that roamed onto WiFi from their network. Works great in your home (hint - get rid of that pesky land line) and will work really well as cities wire for WiFi. It was pretty neat. Called it a "UMA" phone. Not out yet.

My problem at home is that our coverage is spotty there, but we have WiFi at home. So, if I am reading your post correctly, if I purchase a new BB that is UMA capable, it will automatically switch from Rogers to my WiFi network, and extend my coverage at home?

plchan 10-14-2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickster248
My problem at home is that our coverage is spotty there, but we have WiFi at home. So, if I am reading your post correctly, if I purchase a new BB that is UMA capable, it will automatically switch from Rogers to my WiFi network, and extend my coverage at home?

BB does not have UMA feature. It does not exist, yet.

NJBlackBerry 10-14-2006 10:52 PM

Correct; no BBs have UMA. I saw a prototype Windows Mobile phone that was a UMA device.

mymitsu3kgt 10-14-2006 10:57 PM

Isn't the 8800 suppose to have UMA next Spring?

NJBlackBerry 10-14-2006 11:03 PM

UMTS or UMA?

mymitsu3kgt 10-14-2006 11:07 PM

I thought Boy Genious said it looked like it was heading for Tmobile because it was going to have UMA and Tmobile is working on a UMA network.

kasperapd 10-14-2006 11:11 PM

According to the info on Boy Genius' new forum, the 8800 will have UMA.

plchan 10-15-2006 12:09 AM

interesting... BB 8800 with UMA... i can't wait to get it.
However, would BB 8800 able to surf on the net using WIFI speed thru UMA at all? if it is true, it can become a mini-laptop.

TreyS 10-16-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac
I wonder why a carrier would allow bypass to Wi-Fi?


For businees users with a WiFi VoIP/ SIP enabled campus or home users with a Vonage type account and a WiFi access point.



Check out this link and think of the 8800 everytime you see 7270:

http://www.avaya.com/master-usa/en-u.../lb2865%20.pdf


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.