Originally Posted by ramangill
How can I determine what version of firmware I am running. Is this under /options/About? If so I see currently v188.8.131.52 (Platform 184.108.40.206)
Good - you have the right information. 4.1 is the latest version of code for the 8700.
If I need to update the firmware, do I just download the latest Desktop Manager and connect my BB?
No - there are two components - Desktop Manager and the Handheld Operating System. You need BOTH pieces in order to upgrade your BB
Do I need to go to the phones provider website to get this upgrade. For example: My phone is 8700g (T-MOBILE), but I have it unlocked with Rogers-Canada in which case they use the 8700r.
RIM writes all of the code. The carriers test it and release it. But it is all written by RIM.
Check this thread - BlackBerryOS 4.x Download FAQ - UPGRADE DOWNLOADS
- on where to download the software from. Here are the basic steps:
1) Back up your BlackBerry using the Desktop Managers Backup utility.
2) Download the latest handheld OS for the 8700 and execute the downloaded program.
3) Locate and delete VENDOR.XML on your PCs C: drive
4) Connect the BB and start Desktop Manager. The load should start.