BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
DJJeffT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LaGrange IL (Chicago area)
Model: 9550
OS: 5.0.0.320
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 281
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Kinda cool, check it out. Looks kinda like a SideKick with BB technology!

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6820i/1,2803,,00.html

Jeff
__________________
NOW: 9550/Verizon
THEN: 9530, 8330, 8830, 8300, 8100, 8700, 7100t, 7230, Kyocera 7135 & 6035
Offline  
Old 09-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 232
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbluff
I have one and it is unlocked. It is being tested on another carrier. We are a large customer of over 3000 RIM devices deployed. But the carrier I am testing for has concluded they will not carry it since new phones like Nokia 6820i will have blackberry sofware, cameras, a full keyboard like the 6820i, etc.
That carrier is mad then, the 6820 is a horrible phone with a crappy camera, limited blackberry support and a keyboard that isn't very comfortable to use considering its size.

In the uk, the 6820 was very quickly reduced to free with a contract since nobody wanted it.
Offline  
Old 09-16-2004, 07:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 655
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skive
That carrier is mad then.....
LOL. :D
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 03:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atl, GA
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

7100 doesn't have a planned CDMA version. The 7100t is SPECIFICALLY for T-Mobile. The bundled IM software is a dead giveaway. It doesn't work for anyone else. Oz is our IM gateway/software provider. It only works through the WAP gateway, the same way that it does through T-Zones, our GPRS/WAP package. The 7100v is specifically for Vodafone.

As for the 6820i, well, I'm a firm believer that ANY Nokia device is subpar so long is doesn't run Series 60, at least (the 6800 series runs Series 40). I don't like the flip open keyboard on any of those devices. It's a matter of opinion. It will run Blackberry software, Blackberry Connect, which will allow it to hook up to a BES, and a BWC, and recieve 'push' e-mail.

Adam
T-mobile, USA
__________________
"Hey! My brain is hung like a horse!" - Brent Sienna
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 04:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 232
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoninTMO
As for the 6820i, well, I'm a firm believer that ANY Nokia device is subpar so long is doesn't run Series 60, at least (the 6800 series runs Series 40). I don't like the flip open keyboard on any of those devices. It's a matter of opinion. It will run Blackberry software, Blackberry Connect, which will allow it to hook up to a BES, and a BWC, and recieve 'push' e-mail.
I think thats a little unfair, nokia make plenty of good phones even with series 40, the problem is they make so many models that they are bound to release a number of dodgy ones and the 6820 happens to be one of them.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they were using the 6800 series as a way of getting used to the blackberry connect software, learn from their mistakes before the serious options show up and getting a bit of money in the process from their proof of concept.
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 05:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The \"T\" version may have designed for you but the 7100 was not. The one I am typing this on does not have your T on it nor your IM. It will be available from others as your limit on exclusivity is 60 days. To the issue on Nokia, the 9300 will blow away the 7100 from RIM. But having used it for a week now I can say it is a better phone than previous models and that\'s what RIM wanted to do. But now that RIM compromised the keyboard it will be compared against other phones with Blackberry support. And having compared it to early specs of those offers the 7100 will not be the phone of choice. Had RIM desgned it with what they know best like keeping the keyboard, support for all Bluetooth devices, WI-FI, etc it might have been a winner.

Posted from a mobile device
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 655
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbluff
The \"T\" version may have designed for you but the 7100 was not. The one I am typing this on does not have your T on it nor your IM. It will be available from others as your limit on exclusivity is 60 days. To the issue on Nokia, the 9300 will blow away the 7100 from RIM. But having used it for a week now I can say it is a better phone than previous models and that\'s what RIM wanted to do. But now that RIM compromised the keyboard it will be compared against other phones with Blackberry support. And having compared it to early specs of those offers the 7100 will not be the phone of choice. Had RIM desgned it with what they know best like keeping the keyboard, support for all Bluetooth devices, WI-FI, etc it might have been a winner.

Posted from a mobile device
Thanks for your opinion.
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 06:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 232
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
To the issue on Nokia, the 9300 will blow away the 7100 from RIM.
Different target markets, the 9300 is never going to be offered free by a carrier, which the 7100v is from launch on certain tariffs.

Quote:
But now that RIM compromised the keyboard it will be compared against other phones with Blackberry support. And having compared it to early specs of those offers the 7100 will not be the phone of choice.
Anything can look great in specs, even the 6820 doesn't sound so bad specwise, its how they work in reality thats the important thing.


Quote:
Had RIM desgned it with what they know best like keeping the keyboard, support for all Bluetooth devices, WI-FI, etc it might have been a winner.
Since when do rim know a lot about wifi or bluetooth, those are both new things and when companies with the resources of nokia don't have wifi showing up until the model after the 9300, i think thats a reasonable indication that putting it on a phone is non-trivial.

As far as rim sticking to their exisitng keyboard and adding bluetooth, they are, its called the 7290. :D
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhh
Does anyone actually have one?
They aren't supposed to be out until 9/30 but a store manager here in Chicago said they will get them in next week. I am hoping to take a look at one then.
Offline  
Old 09-17-2004, 10:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhh
Does anyone actually have one?
They aren't supposed to be out until 9/30 but a store manager here in Chicago said they will get them in next week. I am hoping to take a look at one then.
Offline  
Old 10-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Charm

My name is Denis Thomas, I am a Business Account Executive with T-Mobile. If anyone is interested in purchasing the new Charm or wants to ask specific questions feel free to contact me. Who better to ask than a rep from the company that helped develop it?

We have several individual and corporate plans available and we also lowered the unlimited Blackberry email add on.

The Charm, which is exclusive to T-Mobile through the end of the year , will have a $100 rebate till the end of October, then will cost the full $299. If you were thinking about getting one, now is the time. It is a powerful communication tool that pays for itself on average after the first three months. This tool will make you more productive!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.