Originally Posted by infernox
My ORIGINAL 8700c has a defective keyboard button and is going to be traded in for another NEW 8700c. It's both BIS and BES activated. Here are some my questions.
1. I have a backup of all my contacts, calendar, apps, etc. When I restore my backups to my NEW unit, will all the info be restored to it? The ORIGINAL unit has a password protection. Any foreseeable problems with the PIN#, etc?
2. Can I remain using the original Desktop Manager software?
3. I also loaded the v188.8.131.524 Bharti upgrade from the Cingular software, will this transfer to my NEW unit?
I went through this a few days ago and have some suggestions:
- Install/upgrade to the 4.2 version of the Desktop software. It contains a "switch device wizard". Before you attach your new BB, take a backup of your old BB using this version. Then install the Bharti OS on the same desktop so you can upgrade the version on the new BB. If you dont upgrade, you may have to go through the backup/restore and enterprise activation manually.
- Now attach ur BB to desktop via USB and launch the switch device wizard. It will walk you through the process. There is one option where it says "provision device" - click yes. This basically does an enterprise activation on the new device. When the s/w is done backing up the old BB, you will need to put the SIM card into your new BB and then attach it to the PC and continue with the process. All your passwords and such will get moved over.
- When its done with all the steps, it will go thru the enterprise activation process and everything will get restored the way it was on ur old BB.
- At this point you can login to the BIS console and switch your BB PIN to the new one.
- Before you send the old BB back (if this is a warranty replacement), make sure you put back the Cingular OS and do a "wipe handheld" from the security tab so that you they don't void your warranty.