BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Who is not running the newest Cing OS?

Please Login to Remove!

I just down-graded my 8700 to the Bharti os from the new Cing. os. I decided that I would rather have the Vodafone Today theme over having the "newest" os available. Anyone else not running the new cing os?
Offline  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
buggle_96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paola, KS
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 178
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes 4.2.0.54 ;)

I really liked running the latest 8707 software on my phone. It was .528 and seemed to run much better than the latest .529. It has a newer platform so maybe that helped a little.
Offline  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: Charm
OS: 2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,071
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have Bharti .351 on mine, probably won't bother updating that until 4.2 comes to the 8700.
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw3000
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have Bharti .351 on mine, probably won't bother updating that until 4.2 comes to the 8700.
That's the os I went back to from the new cing os. I can't tell any difference in performance but I now have the Vodafone Today theme that I like so much.
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggle_96
Yes 4.2.0.54 ;)

I really liked running the latest 8707 software on my phone. It was .528 and seemed to run much better than the latest .529. It has a newer platform so maybe that helped a little.


Same here...Need the Official 4.2 to be released, as this beta is quite buggy...
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Until a large amount of 8800"s are sold I wouldn't expect RIM to release 4.2 for the 8700. It would be counter-productive to them hitting their sales goals.
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8700
Carrier: stc
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i just go hold of a unlocked BB8700 ver 4.2.1.37/ its stable but only two themes are avalable for it and the zen theme is buggy
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso485
i just go hold of a unlocked BB8700 ver 4.2.1.37/ its stable but only two themes are avalable for it and the zen theme is buggy

Got link??
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
Until a large amount of 8800"s are sold I wouldn't expect RIM to release 4.2 for the 8700. It would be counter-productive to them hitting their sales goals.


I disagree....The major upgrades in 4.2 are not of much use on the 8700 as there is no expandable media...Pictures, video, music, etc....Also, GPS on the 8800...I don't see it as competition at all...
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If everyone with a 8700 (the target customer for the 8800) could upgrade their os to 4.2 around the same time that the 8800 was released you don't think it would have an adverse effect on sales of the 8800? Interesting theory buddy, very interesting.
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8700
Carrier: stc
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

gadgetfanatic,

i wish i did our local telco in saudi arabia brought the copy for us to test. the only major feature i am seing is arabic typing support+ a usless media player
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
If everyone with a 8700 (the target customer for the 8800) could upgrade their os to 4.2 around the same time that the 8800 was released you don't think it would have an adverse effect on sales of the 8800? Interesting theory buddy, very interesting.

Please don't call me buddy..No need to condescend to me.

The target customer is an 8700 user? That is where you are way off. the 8800 (both with the camera and without) is RIM's attempt at a multimedia device (just like the pearl)..RIM is not trying to convert 8700's...Upgrades definitely are part of their business model for the 8800, but the upgrades are the minority. Their BIG target is NEW USERS, users that would not go with a BB before because it lacked features.

We (the well educated, well versed blackberry aficionados) are in the minority, we represent about 3% of the ENTIRE blackberry market.
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Only time will tell who is right on this one. If 4.2 for the 8700 comes out b4 Cingulars exclusive is up on the 8800 you may just be right. If it comes out after T-Mo has had the 8800 for 90+ days then I may be right. Only time will tell.
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
...the 8800 (both with the camera and without) is RIM's attempt at a multimedia device (just like the pearl)..RIM is not trying to convert 8700's...Upgrades definitely are part of their business model for the 8800, but the upgrades are the minority. Their BIG target is NEW USERS, users that would not go with a BB before because it lacked features.

We (the well educated, well versed blackberry aficionados) are in the minority, we represent about 3% of the ENTIRE blackberry market.
Very good point. BB is starting to target more "home users" that do not use BES or Exchange. They want the BB to have the same appeal as the Sidekick does for the teen crowd. Yes, they are also at the same time making sure that the business crowd gets new features as well but they are aiming for more general users.

In terms of OS, it would not matter to me if the 8700 recieved 4.2 at all as most of the items relate to multimedia and the 8700 does not have the capability. I prefer stability over the latest OS
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
jetspeedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 592
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i have the latest cingular release OS and its working just fine... dont plan on upgrading till the official non buggy 4.2 is released if it is ever released.. and when it released i expect only minor improvements... the only one im looking forward to if it will work with the current 8700c hardware is the VAD but many say not possible.. we'll wait and see
Offline  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
jungleland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Model: BOLD
OS: 5.0.0.348
Carrier: At&t
Posts: 1,376
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz
i have the latest cingular release OS and its working just fine... dont plan on upgrading till the official non buggy 4.2 is released if it is ever released.. and when it released i expect only minor improvements... the only one im looking forward to if it will work with the current 8700c hardware is the VAD but many say not possible.. we'll wait and see

i have 4.2 on my 8700c and it DOES not have voice dialing..
Offline  
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
IceCreaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i put 4.2 on my microwave and it seems to crash when i select "popcorn" from the menu.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.