BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/)
-   -   Could There Be A Possible Recall of 8800s (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/66437-could-there-possible-recall-8800s.html)

tjstalcup 02-23-2007 08:17 PM

Could There Be A Possible Recall of 8800s
 
My company has had 5 8800s break over the past 2 days.

The problem, the curves of the side, near the bottom of the usb port provide no place to prevent the usb cable from bending back, unlike the nice flat padding surface of the 8700s.

Basically, with one device, it fell off the desk, landed on the usb cable, which bent back and broke the usb connector inside of the BB, which then fell off.

This has basically been the case w/ the other four, all though our Cingular store is more than happy to replace them, I fear that the salesmen, (some of the most technically in-ept and very tough on their BB's) will not last long with their 8800s, which makes me frustrated to know that I will be replacing BB's every week, and we only have 20 users.

Anyone else having this issue?

To see what i'm talking about, plug charger in your 8800, and you will see how flexible the connector is, don't wiggle the usb cord at all!!! It will break very easily.

archer6 02-23-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjstalcup
My company has had 5 8800s break over the past 2 days.

The problem, the curves of the side, near the bottom of the usb port provide no place to prevent the usb cable from bending back, unlike the nice flat padding surface of the 8700s.

Basically, with one device, it fell off the desk, landed on the usb cable, which bent back and broke the usb connector inside of the BB, which then fell off.

This has basically been the case w/ the other four, all though our Cingular store is more than happy to replace them, I fear that the salesmen, (some of the most technically in-ept and very tough on their BB's) will not last long with their 8800s, which makes me frustrated to know that I will be replacing BB's every week, and we only have 20 users.

Anyone else having this issue?

To see what i'm talking about, plug charger in your 8800, and you will see how flexible the connector is, don't wiggle the usb cord at all!!! It will break very easily.


Thanks for the heads up, I will have to check mine out.

wangta01 02-23-2007 09:35 PM

Hopefully we get that charger that uses those side metal things soon - then we won't to mess with the USB port!!

Brad00111 02-24-2007 09:18 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but just dont drop it off the desk and I don't think you will have a problem right? I doubt there will be a recall.

NJBlackBerry 02-24-2007 09:21 AM

When every new model comes out, the "Recall Thread" comes out shortly thereafter. I remember reading the 7100 recall thread when it came out. And that never happened either.

Brad gives good advice...

dtmfjunkie 02-24-2007 10:28 AM

Same thing happened on my Pearl.

TheBigNewt 02-24-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtmfjunkie
Same thing happened on my Pearl.

My Pearl has a silver metal housing that surrounds the inside of the usb port. The cord doesn't wiggle at all.

atuarre 02-24-2007 01:09 PM

I was just thinking that same thing (in response to the person who mentions about the recall thread coming out). There were a few of us who got our 8800's on Saturday/Sunday. Then they were widely available everywhere, and now somebody is finding a problem with something.

The USB port has a problem, or they couldn't figure out where to put the sim card and the micro sd card, etc, etc, etc.

NJBlackBerry 02-24-2007 01:12 PM

Actually, the people posting here with problems have found problems. No one knows what percentage of the total customer base there is.

Forums like this one tend to accentuate the negative and ignore the majority who have found no issues at all. Every technical forum I've been associated with (since the days of CompuServe) have been like that. Don't read too much into it...

AngelJo008 02-24-2007 01:27 PM

Ive had no troubles at all, but then again, I don't wiggle my cord after I plug it in either. I plug it in and set it on the table to charge....well far enough away from the edge so that it doesn't fall off ;)

archer6 02-24-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Actually, the people posting here with problems have found problems. No one knows what percentage of the total customer base there is.

Forums like this one tend to accentuate the negative and ignore the majority who have found no issues at all. Every technical forum I've been associated with (since the days of CompuServe) have been like that. Don't read too much into it...

Well Said!

As we both know, not only do people tend to accentuate the negative, but it's only negative according to their values and perception. Far from being a "fault" or "problem" or even "defective" it's just a matter of the personal opinion of the person writing the post.

Like any other complex product, BlackBerry's are a compromise. They have so many aspects to consider. Component cost, assembly procedure, repair access, consumer acceptance etc. Much like an automobile, it's always a balance of compromises which effect the final configuration, price and availability.

The result of which, during operation each BlackBerry model exhibits certain "characteristics" of operation. These are not faults, these are the result of compromises which much be made during the very challenging period of research, design, development, manufacturing and assembly.

So those of us that are looking for perfection, it's not going to be there. It would be impossible to mass produce a product that suited everyone perfectly, and deliver it to market with an affordable sales price. Again, there are simply too many variables. Especially when we are talking about peoples preferences.

The hundreds, of thousands that are perfectly happy with their BlackBerry and use them, but do not obsess on them, are usually those that are simply users and not enthusiasts like those of us here.

We all have our right to an opinion, and yet that doesn't mean that the device is seriously flawed. It simply means that it's one persons perspective based on their personal values and expectations.

Just some thoughts to share after reading your thought provoking well written post.

Thanks!

backbeat 02-24-2007 02:36 PM

^laugh

So tjstalcup, you going to return yours and get replacements or have you already filed for class action status?

Berry One 02-24-2007 04:38 PM

Five devices fell of desks in 2 days, must be some crappy desks.

CarlGalgano 02-24-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
When every new model comes out, the "Recall Thread" comes out shortly thereafter. I remember reading the 7100 recall thread when it came out. And that never happened either.

Brad gives good advice...

Usually right before the "class action thread."

dc/dc 02-24-2007 08:36 PM

Make them pay for their 8800's and they won't break them. People take care of things they pay for.

tjstalcup 02-24-2007 09:19 PM

I here ya, trust me, I love BB's, I pushed the owners to approve upgrading of all of our devices.

I have over-stressed to them the benefits of the BB, but with these connectors breaking, they are second-guessing my decision to upgrade our 8700s.

I love my 8800, I haven't broken the connector yet, it's these other bumbling idiots. Unfortunately as suggested, they don't pay for their devices, the company does, and since the store we deal with replaces them at no charge during the year warranty, it's nothing to really worry about, except no way to back up that data, since it can't be connected.

Hopefully we go back to the flat sides of the 8700 with the 8820 or 9000, or maybe I should just push for the iPhone, start the flaming.

LOL

-TJ

tankee531 02-25-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry One
Five devices fell of desks in 2 days, must be some crappy desks.


recall the desk instead?

rambo47 02-26-2007 06:03 PM

This has got to be a first: looking for a recall because Retardo Montelban finds them too easy to drop! :D

mzini 02-27-2007 01:25 AM

hahahahaha. This thread has cracked me up. But back to the original post, has anyone else has any problems with the power adaptors when plugged in? I mean, mine does wiggle a little when I plug it in (a bit more than my 8700 did), but does this really pose a problem?

Here is where I could see it possibly causing problems. What about when you are on your phone in the car and you also have it plugged in to charge it? That could be such a strong pull on the power plug from the stress of the cable. Who knows... !

archer6 02-27-2007 02:10 AM

I checked mine and found it to be very solid. Just like the ones on my other Blackberrys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.