BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ringtone volume question

Please Login to Remove!

I picked up an 8800 last night. A question I'm sure no one will agree with. I find the lowest volume setting on the 8800 to be blisteringly loud. Trying ringtones I've used on other devices, they have to at least 10x louder than other devices. I've even tried altering the sounds in editors to reduce the dynamic range and volume but it's still way too loud.

I can find some very simple ringtones that are softer, but the normal mp3 ones I use are unusable for me on the 8800. I know I can set it to mute or vibrate, but that's not really a solution.

I'm sure in high noise environments it's great. But I use vibrate for those conditions. Any way to make it ringer softer? I don't expect there is, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I can't think of.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
brmcguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 206
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
I picked up an 8800 last night. A question I'm sure no one will agree with. I find the lowest volume setting on the 8800 to be blisteringly loud. Trying ringtones I've used on other devices, they have to at least 10x louder than other devices. I've even tried altering the sounds in editors to reduce the dynamic range and volume but it's still way too loud.

I can find some very simple ringtones that are softer, but the normal mp3 ones I use are unusable for me on the 8800. I know I can set it to mute or vibrate, but that's not really a solution.

I'm sure in high noise environments it's great. But I use vibrate for those conditions. Any way to make it ringer softer? I don't expect there is, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I can't think of.
I found this to be true as well. I ended up using one I had on my SD card. There really is nothing that seems to be "office-friendly" on the device.
__________________
Brian McGuire
.../8700c/Moto Q/700p/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
Offline  
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

One other question. How do set a ringtone for voicemail? I see the messages and level 1 messages, etc.. Is there one for voicemail, there has been a separate selection for that on every phone I've tried other than the blackberries.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks, that was what I was afraid of. Even tones (not the built-in ones) that are fine on other phones are really loud on the 8800. The only ones I can find acceptable are some really really soft simple sounds (like a chirp or something). I normally use a tone that's a woman's voice singing "Ring Ring Ring" but it literally makes the 8800 vibrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmcguire
I found this to be true as well. I ended up using one I had on my SD card. There really is nothing that seems to be "office-friendly" on the device.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Pizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,385
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
One other question. How do set a ringtone for voicemail? I see the messages and level 1 messages, etc.. Is there one for voicemail, there has been a separate selection for that on every phone I've tried other than the blackberries.
Your VM tone is the same as your SMS tone. If you change that one, it will change both.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Really? Thanks, no wonder I couldn't figure it out. I even searched the PDF manual looking for every place it said voice mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Your VM tone is the same as your SMS tone. If you change that one, it will change both.
__________________
Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/BB 8800 & Motorola Q >> Future: iPhone
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Keithley Instruments 7001 Switch/Control System Mainframe
$199.95
Keithley Instruments 7001 Switch/Control System Mainframe pictureActel Activator 2S Programmer Station Mainframe with 4 socket adapters FS
$96.99
Actel Activator 2S Programmer Station Mainframe with 4 socket adapters    FS pictureNATIONAL INSTRUMENTS NI PXIe-1062Q MAINFRAME w/PXIe-8105, PXI-4461, PXI-4462
$2580.0
NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS NI PXIe-1062Q MAINFRAME w/PXIe-8105, PXI-4461, PXI-4462 pictureAgilent 75000 Series C E1301B VXI Mainframe with E1326B 5.5 Digit Multimeter, A1
$120.57
Agilent 75000 Series C E1301B VXI Mainframe with E1326B 5.5 Digit Multimeter, A1 pictureSpectrum Signal DSP MCOTS Industrial Integrated Mainframe CPCI Condor CPCI-350
$299.99
Spectrum Signal DSP MCOTS Industrial Integrated Mainframe CPCI Condor CPCI-350 picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.