BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
WorldIRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: 9900
OS: 5.0.0.0
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 916
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Using as a Mac Modem

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all.
Can my 8800 be used as a modem on my Macbook Pro...can it be done via BT or only via cable.

What's required?
__________________
Brian Bader
MSN / Email: [email address]
AOL: WorldIRC1986
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Works fine via bluetooth. Don't know of a way to do it via USB. Use the modem script in the Mac forum for the Pearl. Do a normal pairing and set that script as the modem script along with the correct logins (I know the one for Cingular) and should work fine. EDGE speeds only of course.
__________________
Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/BB 8800 & Motorola Q >> Future: iPhone
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
WorldIRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: 9900
OS: 5.0.0.0
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 916
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Must be anti rogers.. I've connected GPRS devices before to the mac.. I use the *99# script..but once it goes to authenticating, it disconnects.
__________________
Brian Bader
MSN / Email: [email address]
AOL: WorldIRC1986
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Depends on your network. For Cingular you use the APN setting. So instead of *99# you use wap.cingular as the phone number. Not sure what the setting for Rogers is.
__________________
Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/BB 8800 & Motorola Q >> Future: iPhone
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
WorldIRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: 9900
OS: 5.0.0.0
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 916
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

*99# for all rogers phones
__________________
Brian Bader
MSN / Email: [email address]
AOL: WorldIRC1986
Offline  
Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

In general that may be true, but the number also depends on the modem script. I would try the apn setting and see if that works. I did a brief search and it looks like Rogers uses internet.com (as opposed to wap.cingular). Can't hurt to try.
__________________
Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/BB 8800 & Motorola Q >> Future: iPhone
Offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
WorldIRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: 9900
OS: 5.0.0.0
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 916
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

internet.com by itself didn't work but once i combined it with "space" for both login and password, it established connection! pretty quick to.
__________________
Brian Bader
MSN / Email: [email address]
AOL: WorldIRC1986
Offline  
Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
WorldIRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Model: 9900
OS: 5.0.0.0
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 916
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So I'm told I may be charged lots as Rogers doesn't support modem usage and since using the berry goes through Internet.com APN...blah
__________________
Brian Bader
MSN / Email: [email address]
AOL: WorldIRC1986
Offline  
Old 03-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I followed the directions from the other link and it seemed to set up properly except when I try to establish an internet connection on the mac;, it gets to "authenticating user..." and then disconnects with the following message: "The connection was terminated because the other side is not responding"

I have never owned a "tetherable" device before so this is my first ever attempt at using my 8800 as a modem. Should I be doing something with the 8800 as the mac is trying to make the connection?

I'm on Cingular with the unlimited data plan. I used the "wap.cingular for the APN and the "WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM" for username and "CINGULAR1" as the password.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Offline  
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
jvalason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Albany, NY
Model: 9530
PIN: 3048C313
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can you use the 8800 as a modem for tmob?
Offline  
Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I believe the login name should be "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmark
I followed the directions from the other link and it seemed to set up properly except when I try to establish an internet connection on the mac;, it gets to "authenticating user..." and then disconnects with the following message: "The connection was terminated because the other side is not responding"

I have never owned a "tetherable" device before so this is my first ever attempt at using my 8800 as a modem. Should I be doing something with the 8800 as the mac is trying to make the connection?

I'm on Cingular with the unlimited data plan. I used the "wap.cingular for the APN and the "WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM" for username and "CINGULAR1" as the password.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
__________________
Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/BB 8800 & Motorola Q >> Future: iPhone
Offline  
Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
I believe the login name should be "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM"
That's what I meant to type and what I have in my login.

The only place I'm not 100% clear on the instructions is how to download the link into my modem script.

The instructions say to "right-click" on the link and select "Download linked File", I'm using OS-X and when I right-click the link, I don't get that option...

I get: 1) open link in new window 2) open link in new tab 3) bookmark this link... 4) save link as.... 5) send link... 6) copy link location 7)properties

Any ideas how to get the link into my modem script?

Thanks
Offline  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
bcaslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilsonville, OR
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 74
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Choose "save link as" you should then get a file which is basically a text file. You then need to copy it to /Library/Modem Scripts. You then get set this as the modem script during the bluetooth pairing or in the bluetooth section of the network preference in system preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmark
That's what I meant to type and what I have in my login.

The only place I'm not 100% clear on the instructions is how to download the link into my modem script.

The instructions say to "right-click" on the link and select "Download linked File", I'm using OS-X and when I right-click the link, I don't get that option...

I get: 1) open link in new window 2) open link in new tab 3) bookmark this link... 4) save link as.... 5) send link... 6) copy link location 7)properties

Any ideas how to get the link into my modem script?

Thanks
__________________
Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/BB 8800 & Motorola Q >> Future: iPhone
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.