BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
sfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Francisco
Model: 8703e
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 227
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Back to 8700

Please Login to Remove!

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I've put the 8800 in a drawer and returned to the 8703e.
If I carried the 8800 in a pocket, I'd stay with it. But since I keep my BlackBerry in a briefcase, it makes no difference.
Maybe it's me, but I just can't adjust to the new keyboard and I actually like the bulkier feel of the 8703e. Sure, I'll miss the trackball. That's the best feature to me by far. But since I don't use many of the other features (sure, I downloaded some mp.3s, yet I never played them except to show off...and I have GPS in my car yet don't use it) and my main purpose by far is e-mailing, I'm back to the 8703e and the 8700 forum. For now.

When is that 8300 coming?
Offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
mas90guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Connecticut
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 655
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think you make a good point. The keyboard on this is fairly disappointing and the squeaking on the sides is really unacceptable for a device aimed at the corporate market.

That being said I am enjoying the better battery life and do like the thinner design.

I also like the invisible shield that I put on it so much I think that I have to keep using it...
__________________
http://www.s-consult.com
Schulz Consulting
Sage MAS 90 and MAS 200 Support and Consulting
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Dawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 402
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had put an Invisible Shield (for a video iPod) on the 8800 I returned and have another video iPod I.S. on the way for my new one. I have ordered that rubber case BUT I am really hoping someone steps up and provides a real (non-duct tape) solution to the creaky rails. I actually love the keyboard coming from the 7250 as I have learned to type by sliding my fingers to the top corners of the keys instead of hitting them flat from the top like you do on a 7250 or 8700. Oh, and the battery life is sick on this phone compared to other smartphones! Love it.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Pizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,385
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I've put the 8800 in a drawer and returned to the 8703e.
If I carried the 8800 in a pocket, I'd stay with it. But since I keep my BlackBerry in a briefcase, it makes no difference.
Maybe it's me, but I just can't adjust to the new keyboard and I actually like the bulkier feel of the 8703e. Sure, I'll miss the trackball. That's the best feature to me by far. But since I don't use many of the other features (sure, I downloaded some mp.3s, yet I never played them except to show off...and I have GPS in my car yet don't use it) and my main purpose by far is e-mailing, I'm back to the 8703e and the 8700 forum. For now.

When is that 8300 coming?
So, you switched back to your old carrier, too, then?
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
flash24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Model: 9930
OS: 7.1
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,178
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

8800 is too over hyped.. lets hope that the 8300 doesn't disappoint
__________________
http://twitter.com/billydasco

Proud to Serve USAF
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I kept my 8800 for one week and then went back to my 8700. The keyboard was the main reason but like sfo, I like the overall feel of the 8700 better.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

"Overhyped" isn't the right word for a design flaw that's really cosmetic. Overhyped would be appropriate if the initial reviewers said that the keyboard was flawless and perfect and that the fit and finish were perfect as well. I don't ever recall reading anything along those lines.

I think a lot of people have overbuilt their expectations and I'd even hazard to guess that we'll see a lot of disappointed people when they actually get their hands on the 83XX's and they doesn't live up to whatever features people have dreamed up about it... Same goes for the iPhone. At the very least someone will find a squeak and be all like OMGWTFBBQ?!?! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo
Sure, I'll miss the trackball.
Really? I've adjusted to it just fine but I could take or leave it. The only benefit so far has been with browsing sites in Desktop View as far as I can tell. The lack of tactile feedback is still a major draback IMO.

Last edited by takeshi : 04-03-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Model: iFon4
OS: 4.0.1
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 601
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
"Overhyped" isn't the right word for a design flaw that's really cosmetic. Overhyped would be appropriate if the initial reviewers said that the keyboard was flawless and perfect and that the fit and finish were perfect as well. I don't ever recall reading anything along those lines.

I think a lot of people have overbuilt their expectations and I'd even hazard to guess that we'll see a lot of disappointed people when they actually get their hands on the 83XX's and they doesn't live up to whatever features people have dreamed up about it... Same goes for the iPhone. At the very least someone will find a squeak and be all like OMGWTFBBQ?!?! ;)


Really? I've adjusted to it just fine but I could take or leave it. The only benefit so far has been with browsing sites in Desktop View as far as I can tell. The lack of tactile feedback is still a major draback IMO.


I agree, when I put my sim back in my 8700 after a week of using the 8800 I couldn't believe how much "click' the keys had. I never put my sim back in the 8800, I put the 8800 back in the Cingular store.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Model: 8310
PIN: 24738FD7
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 6
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am taking mine back to the store today and getting the 8700. Keyboard is way to small. The trackball I dont like it at all. I like the thumb wheel. All and all the keybord is the reason why.
__________________
Cingular 8800
PIN: 23F7856C
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular
Posts: 272
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

All you folks that dont like the trackball, shouldnt you better get used to it as all new BBs are going to have it? If Im not mistaken, the 8700 would be the latest thumb wheel device you can buy.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: Guess What
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan
...... I actually love the keyboard coming from the 7250 as I have learned to type by sliding my fingers to the top corners of the keys instead of hitting them flat from the top like you do on a 7250 or 8700. Oh, and the battery life is sick on this phone compared to other smartphones! Love it.
You really enlightened alot, sliding on the surface of the keyboard really works for me. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Dawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 402
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchuck
You really enlightened alot, sliding on the surface of the keyboard really works for me. Thanks.
Very good to hear.

The tight keyboard was quite a turnoff for me at first but folks kept telling me I needed to keep testing with it and I would get it. So I went to the Cingular Store and typed notes for quite a while. I noticed the "slide the fingers forward" thing and that helped me tremendously.

Glad to hear it helped.
Offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm surprise to hear so many disappointed with the 8800. We were actually looking to upgrade a few of our 8700's to the 8800. Some of the exec. here at our office have some shown interest in the 8800 so we were going to get a couple of them to try. I does look pretty slick. I might just get one to try out and pass it around to my other co workers and see what they have to say. Can anyone comment on the GPS feature?

cheers...

~rt
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Dawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 402
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt300z
I'm surprise to hear so many disappointed with the 8800. We were actually looking to upgrade a few of our 8700's to the 8800. Some of the exec. here at our office have some shown interest in the 8800 so we were going to get a couple of them to try. I does look pretty slick. I might just get one to try out and pass it around to my other co workers and see what they have to say. Can anyone comment on the GPS feature?

cheers...

~rt
I am on BIS and use TeleNav service and so far so good. I have not used it extensively but the few times I have so far I liked it. You can use 3-D view, top down view, and a top down with some data fields I believe. Talks to ya' too.
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I got used to the keyboard and trackball in less than a week. Now I like the keyboard better. I have big hands and never expected to like this keyboard better. I like the trackball better too now that I've spent time with it.

First few days the 8800 seemed like a mistake, now I wouldn't dare go back to the 8700. Once I got used to the device things are more natural using the 8800 key setup and trackball. GPS is nice - I used it once already on a trip and it helped while my friend drove.

I think the 8800 was worth the money.

My one complaint is the sides do not fit properly on mine.
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Model: 8800
PIN: 205A6E18
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So what I'm getting from this thread is that it may be better to wait for the 8300 instead of buying the 8800?? My 8700 is starting to get tired, it doesn't like keeping a bluetooth connection to my car for more than 2 mins at a time (I think I've dropped it too many times, ouch!).

From what I can tell (and I may be wrong) the 8300 will be smaller than the 8800 but with a better keyboard and add camera and flash. Actually I think I've answered my own question, I'd be choked if I got the 8800 and the 8300 turned out to be the better option... now, if I can only get my 8700 to last until Rogers gets the 8300...
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 171
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I knew the lack of real estate between the keys was going to turn alot of people off concerning the 8800....
__________________
BlackBerry 8800
T-MO BIS
T-MO 4.5.0.37
Desktop Manager 4.5
PIN 205CC25C
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco
Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 941
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You couldnt give me an 8700 after using the 8800. Now that my sides are no longer squeaky I am happy. No GPS on the 8300 and not being as slick looking as the 8800 is the deal killer for me. Lets see if tmobiles 8800 has wi-fi.
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Dawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 402
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike30
I knew the lack of real estate between the keys was going to turn alot of people off concerning the 8800....
Coming from a 7250 this worried me at first. What I learned is that you type on the 8800 differently than you do a 7250 or 8700 and it is not a re-learning process. It is simply an adaptation process.

With the spaced out qwerty (man is that an easy word to type) you can flat tap the keys where you can even bring your thumbs off the keyboard after each tap.

With the 8800, it seems as though the keys were designed so that you keep our thumbs on the keyboard and slide them to the grooves (sounds fun eh?) at the top of the keys for typing. This method has helped me a lot and I bet I have some of the more "meatier" fingers.

Also, now that I have resolved my squeaky sides, I LOVE my 8800 again and it is so nice to have it feeling nice and solid. I have the option to get any Blackberry I want in August (gf) and I am not sure there is a BB that will pull me away from the 8800 in the near future.
Offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
albiesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco, California
Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 130
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The build quality starting with the 8700 and now the 8800 haven't been the best from RIM. Unless they change the build, the squeakiness is something we'll all need to get used. As for the keyboards, I guess that's the tradeoff when you want a skinner and less wide form factor.
__________________
Your Neighborhood PR Guy
Blackberry 8703e (Verizon)

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.