BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 8700g
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4.2, Bluetooth and Java Error

Please Login to Remove!

I installed 4.2 and am having problems connecting my bluetooth device. I have a blackberry 8700c paired to my bmw 3 series vehicle. It worked fine with 4.1. It was not working so I paired it again and the connection is there.

Everytime i turn on the BB and it begins to connect I get this error, "javalangClassCastException". Once I click "Ok" the bluetooth connection is lost.

Anyone have any idea what this error is and how I can fix it? If I can't get this to pair properly, I will have to revert back to 4.1

Thanks

Jim
Offline  
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pronerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am a Java developer. The ClassCast exception occurs when the wrong type of object is passed. This is almost likely due to a software version incompatibility. Either there are still some 4.1 modules on the BB conflicting with the 4.2 ones. Or what ever you are connecting to via bluetooth is returning data in an format unexpected format for 4.2


Check the modules version by going to Options > Advanced Options > Applications. Scroll though the list and see if any of the modules are not 4.2.

Either way reverting to 4.1 is probably your only option.
Offline  
Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 8700g
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronerd View Post
I am a Java developer. The ClassCast exception occurs when the wrong type of object is passed. This is almost likely due to a software version incompatibility. Either there are still some 4.1 modules on the BB conflicting with the 4.2 ones. Or what ever you are connecting to via bluetooth is returning data in an format unexpected format for 4.2


Check the modules version by going to Options > Advanced Options > Applications. Scroll though the list and see if any of the modules are not 4.2.

Either way reverting to 4.1 is probably your only option.
I did as you said in your response and don't see any 4.1 apps. The only thing additional installed was the mds runtime. Not sure why i added it but i did

The other apps on there are

fidelitylink 1.0
gmail 1.0
ubs 1.0.7 (not sure what this is)
pocketday 4.25
ramble 0.9.10.8
texas holdem 2.1.7
timezoneotapatcher 2.2

Other than that it is the 4.2 installation. Thanks for your assistance.

Jim
Offline  
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pronerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ahhh. It could be that one of those apps is not compatible with 4.2. Can you try removing them to see if that removes the error?
Offline  
Old 04-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 8700g
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronerd View Post
Ahhh. It could be that one of those apps is not compatible with 4.2. Can you try removing them to see if that removes the error?
I will do that. The only one that I don't know what it is the ubs app. Any idea?

Thanks,

Jim
Offline  
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cmhn12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burlington
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.190
PIN: 2140D6E8
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 143
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

anyone know how to fully wipe ur bb and start again..i have the same issue but cant get desktop mgr to connect now
__________________
Caoimhin Smyth
6280 > 8700 > 7100> Krzr K1 > 8110 > 8900
Rogers BES
5.0.0.190
2140D6E8
Offline  
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Mopar4ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 14
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I get the java.lang.classexpection error for some of the pre-loaded ringers. Still trying to figure it out. My desktop manager isn't working either.
Offline  
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
pronerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What version of the JRE/JDE is installed on the phone? This is starting to sound like an issue with generics type enforcement.
Offline  
Old 04-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 231
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlenz View Post
I did as you said in your response and don't see any 4.1 apps. The only thing additional installed was the mds runtime. Not sure why i added it but i did

The other apps on there are

fidelitylink 1.0
gmail 1.0
ubs 1.0.7 (not sure what this is)
pocketday 4.25
ramble 0.9.10.8
texas holdem 2.1.7
timezoneotapatcher 2.2

Other than that it is the 4.2 installation. Thanks for your assistance.

Jim
To check if any 4.1 "modules" are present you need to go to the application screen and then select "modules" from the menu. This will show you all the modules loaded (there will be tons). This is where you check to see if any modules from the handheld 4.1 code are loaded....

SMF
Offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telefonica Moviles
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi all, I'm having the same problem with my BB when it connects to my Parrot CK3100 bluetooth device since I upgraded to v4.2. I've tried different versions of v4.2 without results. It works fine with another bluetooth carkit I have in another car. If I can't find a solution I'll have to revert back to v4.1. I've checked that all the modules are at v4.2.1
Offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Galvatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mesa Arizona
Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 647
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My JAWBONE bt headset works just fine
Offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 155
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhn12 View Post
anyone know how to fully wipe ur bb and start again..i have the same issue but cant get desktop mgr to connect now

Go to settings, options, Security options, general settings, click wheel and choose "wipe handheld". Be careful because if your setup with a BES account you'll need to reactivate the device with a password.

I would recommend this for the original post here as well. Always good to start with a fresh install for anything.

Last edited by icontech : 05-29-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telefonica Moviles
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Has anyone been able to fix the bluetooth problem by wiping the device and reinstalling v4.2.1 from scratch? If so, I'd be interested in knowing the procedure. Or anyone has found another fix?

Thanks!

EDIT: Found a possible solution in another thread... I'd post a link to the thread, but I don't know how to do it... ;)

Last edited by tarrio.juan : 06-06-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
CZBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Model: 8800T
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 163
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrio.juan View Post
Has anyone been able to fix the bluetooth problem by wiping the device and reinstalling v4.2.1 from scratch? If so, I'd be interested in knowing the procedure. Or anyone has found another fix?

Thanks!

EDIT: Found a possible solution in another thread... I'd post a link to the thread, but I don't know how to do it... ;)
Please point me in the direction of that thread.
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telefonica Moviles
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Technical Help Please
Offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
jzarowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ...in the mid-west
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.351
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 85
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlenz View Post
I installed 4.2 and am having problems connecting my bluetooth device. I have a blackberry 8700c paired to my bmw 3 series vehicle. It worked fine with 4.1. It was not working so I paired it again and the connection is there.

Everytime i turn on the BB and it begins to connect I get this error, "javalangClassCastException". Once I click "Ok" the bluetooth connection is lost.

Anyone have any idea what this error is and how I can fix it? If I can't get this to pair properly, I will have to revert back to 4.1

Thanks

Jim
i experienced all the problems you are speaking of, and by switching to this version, they are all fixed: 8700M_PBr4.2.1_rel108_PL2.3.0.59_A4.2.1.66_Telefon ica_VE

i can use with all of my bluetooth devices: laptop as a modem tether, nav system for traffic, headset (moto h500)
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telefonica Moviles
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone tried the last v4.2.1.155/v4.2.1.96 and can tell me if it solves the problem?

Thank!
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
jzarowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ...in the mid-west
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.351
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 85
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i installed x.x.96 and my bluetooth problems remain... it was actually working fine with x.x.66, but with x.x.96 its no good....
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Galvatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mesa Arizona
Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 647
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Never had BT problems. What exacly causes this problem maybye you just have a faulty headset.
Offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
jzarowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ...in the mid-west
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.351
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 85
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Never had BT problems. What exacly causes this problem maybye you just have a faulty headset.
headset works fine... thats not the issue... read the thread
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.