thanks snbd889. good find.
for the adventurous at heart, i found a slightly newer (?) one for hutch india here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...DF29596708C94B
Software For BlackBerry 7130g(TM) |
BlackBerry Handheld Software v188.8.131.52 (Multilanguage)
Package Version: 184.108.40.206
Software Platform: 220.127.116.11
File name: 7130gM_PBr4.2.1_rel145_PL18.104.22.168_A22.214.171.124_Hutch. exe
File size: 61.86MB
may test this one though i am inclined to go with snbd889's version since that is stable till now.
what i am puzzling over, after snbd889's post above, is the real gains in making the switch. i am clearly a noob, but -
- being able to use media manager is a good thing, probably
- looks like the bluetooth and ability to connect to BT GPS already exists (there are other threads here about that)
- with release of new google maps (1.5.x), the GPS interface is possible on 7130c without 4.2
- not completely sure that the data off feature is a great advantage, since data costs very little compared to calls when roaming. but for those that need it, good deal. (just to compare, i was in UK for three weeks recently. my data cost was about 22 USD while the calls cost me about 65USD after being VERY careful to use landlines to make and receive calls where i could)
- i can still add custom ringtones to contacts in 4.1 but do not have picture c-id.
- the calling feature (being able to type a name from contacts) is available in 4.1 if i press and hold the send button
- will this give me a media player to play my mp3s? that may be a useful thing but then, with just 30mb free space, i am not getting many mp3s on board.
i am leaning to the conclusion that 4.2 is not as useful if you do not have the ability to store files on removable media.
can other folks chime in as to why they have all been waiting for 4.2?