BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (
-   -   Email on 8830 not working (

jayman01 07-10-2007 09:33 AM

Email on 8830 not working
I am new to Blackberry and trying to get my bosses email to deliver on his new 8830 World Edition BB. We run MS Exchange 2003. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Installed / configured BB Redirector - he uses Outlook XP
2. Setup associated email acct using his work email address. I received the verification email on his BB.

When I configured the email account on the BB it found our Exchange/IMAP server and all looks good. I want to make sure I'm not missing something cause emails are not delivering to the device???

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.


JRSCCivic98 07-10-2007 09:49 AM

Stop! If you're running Exchange 2003 then just use BIS. You'll have to get rid of the Redirector (uninstall and reinstall Desktop Manager with the Internet option). Then go to the email setup icon on the BB and fill in the info for the account on the Exchange server. If you're hosting your own internet email on the exchange server and also have OWA enabled and working to the outside world, this will work because BIS uses OWA conduits to get your email.

BTW, here's the link if you don't want to do the email setup through the email icon on the BB. Be aware that this link is for Verizon customers.

jayman01 07-10-2007 09:53 AM

Thanks, but a couple of quick questions.

1. What is BIS (sorry)
2. We have OWA but only allow through VPN - no outside world. Does this change things?

Can I still make this work?


JRSCCivic98 07-10-2007 09:59 AM


Originally Posted by jayman01 (Post 595446)
Thanks, but a couple of quick questions.

1. What is BIS (sorry)
2. We have OWA but only allow through VPN - no outside world. Does this change things?

Can I still make this work?


1) Blackberry Internet-email Service (the link I gave you).
2) Yes, that does change things... you can try it and see if BIS makes a connection, if it fails it'll tell you that it did. Also, (I ask this because I'm an admin as well) why in the world are you having everyone nail VPN up before they can use OWA? I know you may be concerned about security, but that's added traffic for the VPN on your Internet Line that could be free for other things. If security is a concern, then just turn on SSL for OWA and use it on 443 (https) and not on the default port 80. It's really nice and clean/secure that way too and you don't waste bandwidth on opening MSVPN or other VPN sockets all the time. The whole idea of OWA is to be able to use it in a pinch if you only have access to a public or private-non work PC/laptop. Requiring VPN to use OWA kind of defeats that purpose. You might as well just setup Outlook 2003 to connect directly to the Exchange server through the VPN at that point. It'll be a lot nicer then OWA.

jayman01 07-10-2007 10:57 AM

Oh thanks, I didn't catch the link at first. So I logged in as my boss and see the email account I had created. No filters are set but it has the default setting of "When no Filters Apply, forward messages to the device." I can also setting the email account settings , (acct, IMAP server etc) in the email setup. I should use IMAP, right. Since you mentioned OWA, do you mean the FQDM of the OWA server?
And about that, we do have SSL / OWA (i think). We have OWA but I have to verify the SSL part or outside world part. No one here has any need for OWA for the most part. We are a trading firm and 95% of the poeple never re-visit email after the market closes. The other 5% checks their email via Outlook over VPN or POP/IMAP. As good as OWA on Exc 2k3 is, no one here would bother with it...very set in their ways.

Anyway, as far as making a connection to BIS, not sure what next. Settings all look good but no messages coming in??


jayman01 07-10-2007 11:22 AM

A little more info. I deleted an re-created the email acct via the link you provided. It found the account but finds our Exchange server via IMAP, not OWA. If OWA was available , would it list the mail server via the FQDN of the Exchange server? I was going thru some other posts and read that IMAP and BIS do not play well together.


jayman01 07-10-2007 11:51 AM

And yet some more info. I was wrong, OWA is not open to the outside world. Again, no real need here. So, I'm worried this won't work. If not, I had this idea.

1. Create a contact in Exchange for my boss (yahoo, hotmail, etc).
2. Set his mailbox delivery options to "deliver to both forwarding address and recipient" - using this contact.
3. Then set the 'reply to' address for the BB to be his work address.

It'll get forwarded around some but I think it'll accomplish what I'm after.

Any thoughts or comments on this setup?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.