Hello, I just bought a used blackberry 8700g on ebay today and had a few questions to make sure this thing gets running
I have researched for the past few days on these questions and i'm not really 100% positive on these...
Just to recap I'm going to be using my cingular account, I have a razor v3 now (has 2 mo. contract left by a cingular person said no prob there).
1. When I receive my blackberry the first thing I need to do is get it unlocked, I was going to try and ask a local carrier store first, then try the international cingular customer service rep, then pay someone to unlock it. Would calling the cingular blackberry cust. service be any better luck?
2. After it's unlocked should I just notify cingular and insert my sim card in?
3. Not to important now but is it still possible to connect to the internet on a laptop via the blackberry (G version) When browsing the forums it seems cingulars tether plan is "technically" needed. Can I bypass this with the standard bb, personal plus plan (29.99 I think it was) I pulled up this but he was on a c version. Sorry for the long post as well, and since most wont scroll to the bottom
I just wanted to say here that any help is much appricated!
This is what i wrote about in my blog post on my companies blog site: squadblog dot com |
Blackberry EDGE connect via DUN
Howto for a PC running Windows XP Home with a 8700c Blackberry connected via USB.
1) Install Blackberry Manager version 4.1.x
2) Connect your Blackberry via USB
3) Go to control panel > Phone and Modem Options > Standard Modem (BB IP Modem) > Advanced
4) For the init string type in: AT+cgdcont=1,"IP"," wap.cingular"
The +CGDCONT command is as follows:
+CGDCONT=< data account (CID) number>,"<type of connection (IP in almost all cases)>","<APN>"[,"<the IP address given by the server; if we send 0,0,0,0 or just an empty string, we get a dynamic address>"[,< V.42bis (also referred to as 'd_comp' in tech specs [1:on, 0 - default: off]>,[<header compression ('h_comp')>]]].
5) Save and close.
6) Go to control panel > Internet connections > Create a new connection
7) Select 'connect to a network at my workplace'
8) Select 'dial up connection'
9) Select 'Standard Modem'
10) For company name type whatever you want the connection to be called (Blackberry DUN)
11) For phone number enter in: *99#
12) Leave the username and password BLANK
13) Hit dial and you should be connected!
So far.. best I can tell.. I can get away with high speed EDGE web surfing from my PC while connected via my Blackberry's unlimited data plan. Without having to deal with any tool sheds at Cingular (or RIM) this was been one giant hurdle. Just makes me love my crackberry that much more!!