BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/)
-   -   Official Release - 8820 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-legacy-device-discussion/86385-official-release-8820-a.html)

jsplit 07-17-2007 05:00 PM

Official Release - 8820
 
RIM launches dual-mode cellular, Wi-Fi BlackBerry
Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:51PM EDT


TORONTO (Reuters) - BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. announced a new model of its ubiquitous smartphone on Tuesday, this one able to operate on both cellular and Wi-Fi networks.

The dual-mode BlackBerry 8820, as the device is known, will be launched by AT&T in the United States later this summer, the company said.

"The BlackBerry 8820 complements our carrier partners' cellular networks with the added ability to stay connected via Wi-Fi at home, through hotspots and corporate campuses," RIM co-Chief Executive Mike Lazaridis said in a statement.


RIM launches dual-mode cellular, Wi-Fi BlackBerry | Technology | Reuters

EmptyInTheHead 07-17-2007 05:11 PM

That's cool news. That means us CDMA carrier people will only have about 2 more years to wait before we get it :?

BBChristopher 07-17-2007 05:16 PM

Sweet! It's official!

JRSCCivic98 07-17-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead (Post 603883)
That's cool news. That means us CDMA carrier people will only have about 2 more years to wait before we get it :?

Not only that, but then Verizon will be the only carrier to disable the WiFi capability because they couldn't find a way to charge you air time while you use it. :?

EmptyInTheHead 07-17-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 (Post 603916)
Not only that, but then Verizon will be the only carrier to disable the WiFi capability because they couldn't find a way to charge you air time while you use it. :?

If AT&T didn't suck so bad in my area I would switch to them in a second. They get all the cool toys first. I'm so jealous.

jeremyckitching 07-17-2007 05:42 PM

Nice. I hope this means that T-Mobile will be getting the 8320 in August (and the 8820 at some point) . They HAVE to get a better phone for that @Home service. The two that are out now are Doo Doo.

mdonders 07-17-2007 06:15 PM

Wonder if this is Wifi + GPS?

jsplit 07-17-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdonders (Post 603962)
Wonder if this is Wifi + GPS?

It is.

CarBob 07-17-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdonders (Post 603962)
Wonder if this is Wifi + GPS?

YES. 8-) 8-)

See: Research In Motion

CarBob :smile:

Berry One 07-17-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdonders (Post 603962)
Wonder if this is Wifi + GPS?

Yes, but same carriers which disable GPS in 8800 today for sure will do the same for 8820.

joespys 07-17-2007 11:42 PM

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iPhone who? This is exactly what I've been waiting for!

Jagga 07-18-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joespys (Post 604312)
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iPhone who? This is exactly what I've been waiting for!

DAMN STraight!

Took the words RIGHT outta my mouth!

OK so I've got no BBpearl anymore & on a SE K790 liking audio ... now pennies saved for this.

WHO"S importing unlocked??!!!:razz:

coldconfession13 07-18-2007 09:32 AM

I remember I left a tip on engadget about at&t getting it when they first posted about it and they didn't take me seriously. I hope they do now :)

netPOSER 07-18-2007 09:36 AM

Since this has WiFi will users be able to seamlessly switch between Edge and WiFi? And will they be able to send/receive email on the WiFi connection?

If so, whats the route of the messages from the BES to the device? Will the BES be updated to handle internal traffic without going through RIM's NOC? Straight from the BES to the device? What about a public WiFi hotspot or your home WiFi?


We have a horrible time with connectivity in our building. This would be unreal to be able to stay connected inside the bowels of our office building.

jojo6 07-18-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 (Post 603916)
Not only that, but then Verizon will be the only carrier to disable the WiFi capability because they couldn't find a way to charge you air time while you use it. :?

Its funny because its true

takeshi 07-18-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry One (Post 604046)
Yes, but same carriers which disable GPS in 8800 today for sure will do the same for 8820.

Which carriers have disabled the 8800's GPS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by netPOSER (Post 604637)
And will they be able to send/receive email on the WiFi connection?

That's been the question all along. I don't think anyone knows for certain.

triton45 07-18-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netPOSER (Post 604637)
Since this has WiFi will users be able to seamlessly switch between Edge and WiFi? And will they be able to send/receive email on the WiFi connection?

If so, whats the route of the messages from the BES to the device? Will the BES be updated to handle internal traffic without going through RIM's NOC? Straight from the BES to the device? What about a public WiFi hotspot or your home WiFi?


We have a horrible time with connectivity in our building. This would be unreal to be able to stay connected inside the bowels of our office building.

According to this - looks like all kinds of wi-fi (home/hotspot/work) are going to be supported.

Press release (someone else posted the link earlier)

The smartphone works in conjunction with both BlackBerry® Enterprise Server and BlackBerry® Internet Service and can seamlessly switch between cellular networks and a Wi-Fi network to allow users to access email, Instant Messaging, organizer, web browsing and other mobile data applications.

netPOSER 07-18-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triton45 (Post 604702)
According to this - looks like all kinds of wi-fi (home/hotspot/work) are going to be supported.

Press release (someone else posted the link earlier)

The smartphone works in conjunction with both BlackBerry® Enterprise Server and BlackBerry® Internet Service and can seamlessly switch between cellular networks and a Wi-Fi network to allow users to access email, Instant Messaging, organizer, web browsing and other mobile data applications.

Kinda vague though. No mention of BES and how Exchange/Notes will work with WiFi on an internal AP and external AP's.

MadhatterPDC 07-18-2007 10:52 AM

I JUST. Bought an 8800, and I am seriously interested in an 8820. Has anoyne heard an official specific release date? What about 3G?

JEEPers 07-18-2007 11:46 AM

I wonder if we can retrofit the WiFi capabilities? I have a 8800 now but if the parts for WiFi is available and u can install the additional functionality yourself, then that is pretty cool.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.