BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default When is Sprint going to release BB OS 4.2?!

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know the official release date for BlackBerry 4.2 OS? I thought they would set it free when they launched their 8830.

Thanks!

Last edited by XBoogie : 07-20-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

They probably won't release it for the 8703 device.
Offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DC area
Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 527
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
They probably won't release it for the 8703 device.
Why?
__________________
--
Scott!
T-Mobile 8520
Offline  
Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
whsbuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE PA.
Model: 9800
OS: 4.6.0.304
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,791
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
They probably won't release it for the 8703 device.
We don't know that. RIM has been in final testing of OS 4.2 for the 8703 for months. There's rumor it was released to the CMDA carriers last week. If that's so, then the carriers must do testing before its released.

Latest rumor is sometime in August.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
madnesss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto ON
Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm on Bell (cdma) and have noticed for the past week all of the downloads that were available for my 8703e have been removed - you get the message 'there are no downloads available for your OS 4.1... Maybe they're getting ready to release 4.2...?
Offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
We don't know that. RIM has been in final testing of OS 4.2 for the 8703 for months. There's rumor it was released to the CMDA carriers last week. If that's so, then the carriers must do testing before its released.

Latest rumor is sometime in August.
Oh, I didn't even know that. I just thought that since the newer devices were coming out they wouldn't even worry about it. *opens mouth and inserts foot*

If Verizon gets this I may make the switch to them.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Perfect Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.114
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,467
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnesss View Post
I'm on Bell (cdma) and have noticed for the past week all of the downloads that were available for my 8703e have been removed - you get the message 'there are no downloads available for your OS 4.1... Maybe they're getting ready to release 4.2...?
I still see all of them there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Oh, I didn't even know that. I just thought that since the newer devices were coming out they wouldn't even worry about it. *opens mouth and inserts foot*

If Verizon gets this I may make the switch to them.
Why wouldn't you just download a copy from one of the MANY carriers who have picked up 4.2.1?
__________________
www.petermac.ca - Photo wallpapers only in BlackBerry Internet Browser
www.BBeXtras.com - Photo wallpapers sent to your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Themes

Last edited by Perfect Storm : 07-21-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
redsoxnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Model: 9650
OS: 5.0.0.699
Carrier: SPRINT
Posts: 359
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also get the mess NO DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE for you phone on mobile.blackberry.com for Theme's and free games. This software V4.1 has not been out that long so there is no reason for that to happen other then a release of 4.2 for the 8700 model. Just wish they waited until they did release it befor cripleing this V4.1 on that website
Offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Perfect Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.114
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,467
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
I also get the mess NO DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE for you phone on mobile.blackberry.com for Theme's and free games. This software V4.1 has not been out that long so there is no reason for that to happen other then a release of 4.2 for the 8700 model. Just wish they waited until they did release it befor cripleing this V4.1 on that website
That's an error. Mobile.blackberry.com doesn't remove content just because there is a newer software version. Many carriers have not picked up 4.2.1 yet.

Using an 8700 4.1.0 simulator I have no trouble getting to the theme download page, which says to me that this is definitely an 8703e identification error since that simulator got the no themes message.
__________________
www.petermac.ca - Photo wallpapers only in BlackBerry Internet Browser
www.BBeXtras.com - Photo wallpapers sent to your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Themes
Offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also hear that EV-DO rev A may be available soon via firmware update.
Offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 47
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Looks like it is already available for the AT&T 8700G
Offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Why wouldn't you just download a copy from one of the MANY carriers who have picked up 4.2.1?
I actually have T-Mobile for data and am using a BlackBerry 8700g with OS 4.2.1.96. I have Verizon for voice and would have already switched to them for data, but I want my BlackBerry with Verizon to be able to have the 4.2.1 (the 8703). Maybe I should just get the 8830 from them. Yeah...that's the ticket.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
redsoxnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Model: 9650
OS: 5.0.0.699
Carrier: SPRINT
Posts: 359
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoogie View Post
Looks like it is already available for the AT&T 8700G
EV-DO REV A is not available for AT&T blackberry sense there is not a blackberry out that's supports REV A or 3g
Offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Perfect Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.114
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,467
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
EV-DO REV A is not available for AT&T blackberry sense there is not a blackberry out that's supports REV A or 3g
I think that was in reference to 4.2.1 being available. And:
a) AT&T is not a CDMA network and will never have EVDO as a result
b) EVDO is a 3g protocol, Rev A or not. So there are 3 devices (7250, 8703e, and 8830) sporting that form of 3g
c) The 8707 uses the UMTS 3g networks overseas.
__________________
www.petermac.ca - Photo wallpapers only in BlackBerry Internet Browser
www.BBeXtras.com - Photo wallpapers sent to your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Themes
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.