BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sprint BB 8830 to Tmobile and At&T

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering can I use my month old Sprint BB 8830 be used either with Tmobile and/or At&T without having any problem?
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Nope, sorry.. Sprint 8830 is a CDMA device and TMo and AT&T are GSM. It's incompatible.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The sprint bb8830 works with both, cdma and gsm. And its actually unlocked. But I heard that this phone does not work with gsm providers in the usa because the gsm frequency in the usa is different to the rest of the world.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Nope, sorry.. Sprint 8830 is a CDMA device and TMo and AT&T are GSM. It's incompatible.
Well, as I know BB 8830 with Sprint is a hybrid world phone, a combination of CDMA and GSM. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

You are correct but the GSM bands used on the 8830 are only used overseas, not in the US so the GSM portion won't work in the US.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
You are correct but the GSM bands used on the 8830 are only used overseas, not in the US so the GSM portion won't work in the US.
Ok, I got that. Anybody has any second opinion on that? Also, is there any way to make the GSM works with other provider?
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr0003 View Post
Ok, I got that. Anybody has any second opinion on that? Also, is there any way to make the GSM works with other provider?
A second opinon? Yes, you cannot get the Sprint device to work on a GSM network in the US.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,806
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

Third opinion - you can not use a Sprint 8830 on any North American GSM networks. As has been said, the GSM frequencies in the 8830 are for those outside of North America.

You CAN NOT get the GSM in an 8830 to work in North America.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
A second opinon? Yes, you cannot get the Sprint device to work on a GSM network in the US.
That was funny --- So, I will probably ebay this device and will get a new one either with Tmobile or At&T. What about the status of BB 8800 with Tmobile? Any update?
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Spam Reporter
 
dc/dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IAD
Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Posts: 14,530
Post Thanks: 220
Thanked 345 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr0003 View Post
That was funny --- So, I will probably ebay this device and will get a new one either with Tmobile or At&T. What about the status of BB 8800 with Tmobile? Any update?
That's probably the best idea.
__________________
I h8 txtspk.
Offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by che361
The sprint bb8830 works with both, cdma and gsm. And its actually unlocked. But I heard that this phone does not work with gsm providers in the usa because the gsm frequency in the usa is different to the rest of the world.
This was posted near the top too, so I guess that makes 4 opinions.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.