BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: UCOM
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post blackBerry 8830 outside US

Please Login to Remove!

Dear,
Is it possible to use 1x or Evdo on blackberry 8830 outside US.
Actually i am in Burundi and there is a provider for 1x and EVDO, how can i setup the BBrry to work on 1x or EVDO.
How can i change the channels?

Regards
AIME R.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
BigA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Model: iphon
OS: 5.0.x.x
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 421
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

First you need an international data and or voice plan from your carrier. Second I can't find any information about your carrier "UCOM" or they have no internet presence.

Goto "manage connections" then "mobile network options" then "network mode" switch to 1XEV. You may also need to select which mobile network to use if there are more than one provider in your area. You may also need to reboot the phone by removing the battery as well.
__________________
“The best way I can describe BlackBerry is as a one-trick pony,” said Charlie Wolf, an analyst for Needham & Co.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the CDMA portion of your 8830 is going to work outside the US/Canada. That's what the GSM portion is for.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beijing
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint, China Mobile
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the CDMA portion of your 8830 is going to work outside the US/Canada. That's what the GSM portion is for.
Actually, Verizon has a number of CDMA BB roaming partners outside the U.S. Verizon's CDMA rates are much cheaper than their GSM rates. I use CDMA in China all the time (with Verizon, it is $1/min cheaper than GSM) for my BB stuff and use my China Mobile SIM in the SIM slot for my local voice service.

Last edited by Maniac8888 : 08-27-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac8888 View Post
Actually, Verizon has a number of CDMA BB roaming partners outside the U.S. Verizon's CDMA rates are much cheaper than their GSM rates. I use CDMA in China all the time (with Verizon, it is $1/min cheaper than GSM) for my BB stuff and use my China Mobile SIM in the SIM slot for my local voice service.
Thanks...I knew some CDMA worked overseas but didn't think it was Verizon's.

*stuffs the info away for regurgitation to someone else later!*
Offline  
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: UCOM
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blackberry 8830 outside US

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
First you need an international data and or voice plan from your carrier. Second I can't find any information about your carrier "UCOM" or they have no internet presence.

Goto "manage connections" then "mobile network options" then "network mode" switch to 1XEV. You may also need to select which mobile network to use if there are more than one provider in your area. You may also need to reboot the phone by removing the battery as well.
I tried that but still can't find any network, the BB is created on my CDMA platform but i think the channels are not the same between my CDMA and BB.
How can i change the channels in the BB and use AKEY for registration.
Regards
AIME
Offline  
Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

That, you can't do. It either works or it doesn't. Most likely the CDMA where you are isn't compatible with the CDMA on your phone. Sorry.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.