Originally Posted by seanstockman
I did a system restore but it took my computer back to a point in which I don't remember. It was only suppose to be yesterday...I am so frustrated. I brought it back to what it was. I am just at a loss of what I need to do next...this is so frustrating! I ran the Reg cleaner as well....nothing worked.
Sucks, doesn't it. Dealing with a bad installation can be frustrating. Ok lets take this a step at a time and see if you missed anything.
* Assuming that you don't know what files you deleted from the registry, and assuming that you didn't back up your registry file prior to messing with it, lets assume that you didnt delete a critical file. Ok, here goes...
* Uninstall the Blackberry Desktop Software using the Windows 'Add/Delete Software' utility.
* Assuming that you are using RegSeeker, make sure that you have all of the checkboxes checked on the 'Clean The Registry' screen.
* Once RegSeeker has done its thing, make sure you 'select all' of the files that RegSeeker selected as useless, 'right click' in the body of selected files and select 'Delete Selected Items'. I would run RegSeeker at least twice, maybe 3 times to assure that you got all of the miscreant files.
* Click Start > Run.
* In the Run window, type regsvr32 atl.dll and click OK. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
* Re-Boot your computer.
* Do not plug in your handheld
until the software is installed correctly.
* Install the software that came with the 88xx.
If this doesn't work, you may have corrupted the registry file. If this is the case and you don't have a copy of the old registry file, you may be in trouble. I would follow these steps exactly, and carefully. Don't skip a step and see if you can recover the dll file you need. Otherwise, its time to re-install XP. (you are on an XP PC, right?)