BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmohn01 View Post
BIS is Blackberry Internet Service which is the most popular because it doesn't require a BES (Blackberry enterprise service) server. Unless you have about $5000 to spend on a server or the business you work for does, then you probably have BIS
BIS is great. I set all my GMail for domain accounts on it, the GMail software is crap compared to the nice BB interface.. not to mention it is chewing the bandwidth a lot, if you leave all default options enabled. Now I have both of best worlds, the BES and my private email in one place. I really love my new 8830, best phone ever.
__________________
Floren Munteanu
Axivo Inc.
why queued - My blog

Last edited by TECK : 09-11-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Offline  
Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've been lurking here for a long time and I'm thinking of buying a Blackberry when I renew my contract. If I have the plus version of hotmail, how will it work with BIS? I currently have an Exchange account that I'll probably use with BES. Can I have both BIS and BES working together?

Let's say I add my hotmail account to BIS, will the experience be the same as if I'm using hotmail on a Windows Mobile platform? Meaning reading and responding to messages will have my hotmail address as the sender and receiving address? Is it almost the same as using Yahoo/Gmail on the BB? If someone can post more details on how this work that would be great.
Offline  
Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
mmohn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 122
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I believe you can only have one or the other. I sell them for US Cellular and don't recall the option to have both BIS and BES
Offline  
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmohn01
I believe you can only have one or the other. I sell them for US Cellular and don't recall the option to have both BIS and BES
You can do one bes account and up to 10 BIS accounts IF your company's IT policy will allow it.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)



You can do one bes account and up to 10 BIS accounts IF your company's IT policy will allow it.
John, do you mind answering my post above? I really need some answers here.

I don't work for a company that employs BES. I was thinking of subscribing to one of the commercial BES. Can I combine with that my carrier's BIS account?
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Yes, you can do it. If you look in my sig I'm using BES and BIS. As I posted above you can have one BES account and up to 10 BIS accounts.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, you can do it. If you look in my sig I'm using BES and BIS. As I posted above you can have one BES account and up to 10 BIS accounts.
Thanks for the response, but I still have some questions that remains unanswered. I'll post them again for you.

Quote:
Let's say I add my hotmail account to BIS, will the experience be the same as if I'm using hotmail on a Windows Mobile platform? Meaning reading and responding to messages will have my hotmail address as the sender and receiving address? Is it almost the same as using Yahoo/Gmail on the BB? If someone can post more details on how this work that would be great.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Yes, you can send and receive from any email address setup in the BIS system and the address will show appropriately. However, there are some issues with Hotmail. If it's a fairly old account it may work with BIS. If it's a newer account it may not unless you pay for the upgraded hotmail account. That is a hotmail restriction, not a RIM/BIS restriction.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, you can send and receive from any email address setup in the BIS system and the address will show appropriately. However, there are some issues with Hotmail. If it's a fairly old account it may work with BIS. If it's a newer account it may not unless you pay for the upgraded hotmail account. That is a hotmail restriction, not a RIM/BIS restriction.
John, you are misinterpreting my questions. I'm not asking you if hotmail will work with BIS or not. I don't care if I have to subscribe to hotmail plus to get it working with BIS, but I'm talking about the experiencing using it. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but it seems like you have totally misinterpreted my questions. If it's not too much trouble for you to read it again and answer it for me that would very much be appreciated. Thanks!
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Canada
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I started having hotmail pushed to my bb a few years back just for the novelty of it. I never really used the account. However, as some of you have mentioned, things have changed with Hotmail and I can't seem to find where I can stop the hotmail being forwarded to my bb. This is very annoying as I'm getting mostly spam in that account.

Does anyone know how or where I can stop this?

Thanks.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
BlackBerry B Boy
 
jeremyckitching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.415
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.
Posts: 4,243
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_king View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I started having hotmail pushed to my bb a few years back just for the novelty of it. I never really used the account. However, as some of you have mentioned, things have changed with Hotmail and I can't seem to find where I can stop the hotmail being forwarded to my bb. This is very annoying as I'm getting mostly spam in that account.

Does anyone know how or where I can stop this?

Thanks.
I would just close the Hotmail account.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Canada
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_king View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

I started having hotmail pushed to my bb a few years back just for the novelty of it. I never really used the account. However, as some of you have mentioned, things have changed with Hotmail and I can't seem to find where I can stop the hotmail being forwarded to my bb. This is very annoying as I'm getting mostly spam in that account.

Does anyone know how or where I can stop this?

Thanks.
I would just close the Hotmail account.
Hey thanks, it never even occured to me to cancel it. I linked the account to the MS passport service. I guess once I change that, I can get rid of Hotmail!
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Dawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 402
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hotmail is king of spam.
Gmail rocks.
__________________
Who's that peekin' in my window?...POW....nobody now.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
I've been lurking here for a long time and I'm thinking of buying a Blackberry when I renew my contract. If I have the plus version of hotmail, how will it work with BIS? I currently have an Exchange account that I'll probably use with BES. Can I have both BIS and BES working together?

Let's say I add my hotmail account to BIS, will the experience be the same as if I'm using hotmail on a Windows Mobile platform? Meaning reading and responding to messages will have my hotmail address as the sender and receiving address? Is it almost the same as using Yahoo/Gmail on the BB? If someone can post more details on how this work that would be great.
Sgt_Strider,
I have answered your question already. I have not misinterpreted. You haven't read very well. You can add 10 BIS addresses to your BB along with 1 BES account. That is 11 email addresses including your exchange BES account.

You will have the ability to read email from each address. You will have the ability to reply to that email. When you reply, it will reply using that specific email address. You can compose new email using any account and it will show that you are sending from that account.

YES! IT WORKS!!!

Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by John Clark : 09-12-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
Let's say I add my hotmail account to BIS, will the experience be the same as if I'm using hotmail on a Windows Mobile platform? Meaning reading and responding to messages will have my hotmail address as the sender and receiving address? Is it almost the same as using Yahoo/Gmail on the BB? If someone can post more details on how this work that would be great.
I can't answer how it compares to using a windows mobile platform, but your BlackBerry WILL HAVE your hotmail address as the sender and receiver. You simply set it up that way. It is similar to using yahoo and gmail or any other POP account as far as the seamless ability to send and receive with the transparency of using a BB and the other party never knowing it came from a BB. Perhaps that is one thing you wanted to know.

Good luck.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I can't answer how it compares to using a windows mobile platform, but your BlackBerry WILL HAVE your hotmail address as the sender and receiver. You simply set it up that way. It is similar to using yahoo and gmail or any other POP account as far as the seamless ability to send and receive with the transparency of using a BB and the other party never knowing it came from a BB. Perhaps that is one thing you wanted to know.

Good luck.
Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks to you and John for the help!
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Cool. Just post back if you need when you get to setting it up if you need assistance. Likewise, review the FAQ site for additional info on how to add/delete email accounts, etc., lots there.

Link below in my signature.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Cool. Just post back if you need when you get to setting it up if you need assistance. Likewise, review the FAQ site for additional info on how to add/delete email accounts, etc., lots there.

Link below in my signature.
I think I'll post back in the future as I don't have a Blackberry yet. My contract ends in November and I'm seriously thinking of picking up a BB 8800 to replace my Samsung BlackJack.

When reading and sending messages, will the e-mails be saved on hotmail's server? Or the messages are permanately downloaded on to the BB?
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

They will be saved on the Hotmail server. However, you have the option to delete from just the handheld, or delete from handheld and mailbox.
Offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
They will be saved on the Hotmail server. However, you have the option to delete from just the handheld, or delete from handheld and mailbox.
Great, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm assuming you guys use hotmail on your BB as well? I'm just wondering if you can save the default font and font size on your BB for sending hotmail messages? For some odd reason, the web client doesn't save the default font and font sizes. I'm not sure how that will work on the BB.

Also, will hotmail's contact list and calendar sync with the BB 8800? Or it's only e-mail?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.