BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-playbook-discussion/)
-   -   Google Maps (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-playbook-discussion/259203-google-maps.html)

sognare 04-25-2012 12:52 PM

Google Maps
 
Maybe I'm naive but I was hoping the user experience using Google Maps on my Playbook through the web browser would be somewhat similar to the experience on my PC. Unfortunately, about all I seem to be able to do is enter a location name and see it on a map. All the underlying information google has is inaccessible to me. If I try and tap on any information, the screen seems to freeze and become unresponsive. Removing and retrieving the text pane on the left, tapping on an object or placemark even tapping on photos associated with the location, all unresponsive, at best hit and miss.

I really like Google Maps so before I give up just curious as to other's experience. Perhaps I just have a lemon PB.

dc/dc 04-25-2012 02:35 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Have you tried downloading the google maps app?

sognare 04-25-2012 03:12 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
No I haven't seen that. I see a few with reference to Google Maps, any you recommend?

dc/dc 04-25-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sognare (Post 1776068)
No I haven't seen that. I see a few with reference to Google Maps, any you recommend?

Try MapApp.

simpley 05-08-2012 02:12 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Hi, does map app use google maps?

PaulM 05-29-2012 03:52 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Only problem with Map App is that it will only allow you to find an address. It will not let you route a trip or do anything else that the normal google maps will allow.

The actual Google Maps app is available through App World, but it's not a free app like it is for phones.

jimfraser 05-30-2012 12:02 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by simpley (Post 1777180)
Hi, does map app use google maps?

Map App does use google maps and the satelite views are stunning on PlayBook's screen. It works well with the gps to show where you are, but as noted above it is not full functioning as on your mobile phone.
I was not aware that there was a full finctioning app for the playbook. I see from the previous post that there is if you want to pay. I wonder if android tablet users pay anything?

Preroll 05-30-2012 01:59 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfraser (Post 1778968)
Map App does use google maps and the satelite views are stunning on PlayBook's screen. It works well with the gps to show where you are, but as noted above it is not full functioning as on your mobile phone.
I was not aware that there was a full finctioning app for the playbook. I see from the previous post that there is if you want to pay. I wonder if android tablet users pay anything?

I believe that's a third party app developer that made a plugin for Google Maps. The actual Google Maps with navigation is free on Android tablets. I have a Motorola Xoom and it has all the bells and whistles with Google Maps and it's free. I just wish Google would re-write an app for the Bold 99xx series as the tiling has made the fonts for the street names way too small for anyone to see. They've been stuck on v.4.5.3 forever!

nithing 05-30-2012 03:43 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Guys, I've tried downloaded google map on my bb curve 8520, but i'm not able to use that ,since it says that it requires some configeration change, can anybody help??n

AND also I've tried uploading FB appli many times, it is always stopping at 75% , they are telling to try again later.. do any of you facing the same issue, or me only, give me some solution....

dc/dc 05-30-2012 04:42 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nithing (Post 1778980)
Guys, I've tried downloaded google map on my bb curve 8520, but i'm not able to use that ,since it says that it requires some configeration change, can anybody help??n

AND also I've tried uploading FB appli many times, it is always stopping at 75% , they are telling to try again later.. do any of you facing the same issue, or me only, give me some solution....

This is the wrong section.

daphne 05-31-2012 12:04 AM

Re: Google Maps
 
There are currently 6 third party apps for PlayBook for Google maps. Three of them are currently in the top 25 paid apps. Search in App World for maps and you will find them. Google has not provided an official app for PlayBook.

laurentiupfr 09-01-2012 12:09 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
not yet we hope:))

PaulM 09-03-2012 07:04 PM

Re: Google Maps
 
I just downloaded Google Maps from Goodereader.com and it works quite well. There is integration with your google account and GPS acquires quite well. It even offers turn-by-turn directions with voice.

It's a converted Android App, and needs to be sideloaded, but that is all easy enough. If you have any questions about sideloading, there is a tutorial on their site.
Google Maps for Playbook


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.