BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Q10 Series Discussion - BlackBerry 10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-q10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/)
-   -   Waiting For The Q10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-q10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/263486-waiting-q10.html)

hrmresident 02-07-2013 12:42 PM

Waiting For The Q10
 
Hi. I had a BlackBerry a few years ago and baptized it by dropping in a sink full of water. :-(

Since, I've been using a Samsung Galaxy but I am very interested in the BB10 system.

Of course the touch-screen keyboard Z10 is on the shelves now but the physical keyboard Q10 isn't available, at least here in Canada until April. I don't know what the case is but, if the Z10 isn't selling well, people could be doing like I am and waiting for the Q10 so a comparison of the two models can be done before purchasing decisions are made.

Seems to me that a lot more people are doing the same thing...waiting until April. So if the company comes out and says that sales are below expectations, that is probably a big part of it.

ZombieBerry 02-07-2013 02:08 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Already announced stronger than expected sales in Canada and the UK (Google it, I'm lazy and can't be bothered with links - ok here BlackBerry 10: Z10 Canadian launch was best in firm history, CEO says | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post ) 50% better than any other BlackBerry device launch, including OS 7 devices. The rest of the World doesn't really matter, it's going to be interesting to see how it does in the States.

daphne 02-07-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Moved to the Q10 section.

jimfraser 02-08-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
I have seen and handled the Z10 and it is pretty slick. However I will wait to see the Q10 with the physical keyboard. I liked the larger touch screen on the Torch, but like the physical keypad on the 9900. Reminds me of the iconic 9000.
I suspect that those who have stuck with BlackBerry have done so because of the physical keyboard. If our priority is fast internet and touch screen wizardry we would have moved some time ago to Apple (corp. setting) or Android (non-corp.).
Those who moved from BlackBerry to Apple or Android, who have adapted to the touch keyboard, may well be tempted by the Z10, and I hope they are.
The Z10 may have taken the best from Apple and Android, but I think that I am typical of many who have stuck with BlackBerry, particularly in the corporate setting, because of the physical keyboard. Will definitely wait for the Q10.

rambo47 02-23-2013 05:15 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
If BlackBerry is going to get me back, it will be with the QWERTY Q10 BlackBerry model.

jimfraser 02-27-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1799595)
If BlackBerry is going to get me back, it will be with the QWERTY Q10 BlackBerry model.

I was told by our IT guy yesterday that we will need a new surver to run BB10 on the enterprise. Apparently the Enterprise software for BB10 is free, but you need a separate surver for it. I was told that Enterprise software for BB10 is not compatable and is not backword adaptable for OS 7.1 and lower and as well the entreprse software for OS 7.1 cannot be patched to work with OS10. So one Enterprise server for OS 7.1 and lower and another Enterprise server for BB10.
What was RIM/Blackberry (what genius thought that the name RIM had no value?) thinking if it requires a new server to run BB10 and that it is not compatible with earlier OS versions?
If I have to run on Active Sync with my Z10 or Q10, until there anough other users in the firm to justify a new server, there goes my arguement that allowing iPhone or other non-BlackBerry phones is less secure.
Talk about a road block for existing Enterprise BlackBerry users migrating to OS 10 devices!!!
Enterprise is where the loyality to BlackBerry has been almost rock solid. What a way to loosing the most loyal customers.
The QWERTY keyboard may not be enough for the Enterprise users.

dc/dc 02-27-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfraser (Post 1799812)
I was told by our IT guy yesterday that we will need a new surver to run BB10 on the enterprise. Apparently the Enterprise software for BB10 is free, but you need a separate surver for it. I was told that Enterprise software for BB10 is not compatable and is not backword adaptable for OS 7.1 and lower and as well the entreprse software for OS 7.1 cannot be patched to work with OS10. So one Enterprise server for OS 7.1 and lower and another Enterprise server for BB10.
What was RIM/Blackberry (what genius thought that the name RIM had no value?) thinking if it requires a new server to run BB10 and that it is not compatible with earlier OS versions?
If I have to run on Active Sync with my Z10 or Q10, until there anough other users in the firm to justify a new server, there goes my arguement that allowing iPhone or other non-BlackBerry phones is less secure.
Talk about a road block for existing Enterprise BlackBerry users migrating to OS 10 devices!!!
Enterprise is where the loyality to BlackBerry has been almost rock solid. What a way to loosing the most loyal customers.
The QWERTY keyboard may not be enough for the Enterprise users.

This is a well-known fact, and the word you're looking for is server, not surver.

jimfraser 02-27-2013 06:10 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1799813)
This is a well-known fact, and the word you're looking for is server, not surver.

OK, I spelled "server" incorrectly twice. I did get it right four times. (There are additional typos as well. I guess I should have checked it in Word first. Is there a spell check in this Forum?)

It may now be well known to Enterprise IT people, but to BlackBerry loyalists on BES who are considering upgrading to Z10 or waiting for Q10, it is not well known. My comment was not directed to Enterprise specialists (there is the BES Admin Corner in this Forum) but to users considering upgrading to a BB10 device. That is the topic in this thread.
What if you go out and upgrade to a BB10 device, show up at the office, ask to be activated, only to be told "Sorry, we are not prepared to buy another server to support BES for BB10 until there is a critical mass of users. It is not just a matter of upgrading the BES software. We donít like the security issues and lack of control associated with ActiveSync. Hope you kept your existing BlackBerry because we wonít support your Z10. "

The point is, why would RIM/BlackBerry hobble BB10 at launch, by requiring its most loyal segment, the BES community, to purchase a new server just to support BB10? RIM was almost a year late in getting BB10 to the market. Why did they not get the enterprise software right?
I have never owned an Apple device and have been a proud BlackBerry loyalist. It appears that the Z10 is a giant step forward in meeting the wants of the ordinary consumer who has or is considering an iPhone, Android or even a Windows 8 device. But that market is extremely crowded. While the Z10 will, in my opinion, help stop the erosion in that segment and will hopefully reverse that trend, BlackBerry will never regain the dominance it once had in that market. The people at Apple and Samsung are just too savvy to let that happen. BlackBerry should not alienate the BES group by making it more expensive than it should be to upgrade to BB10. Cracks are forming in my loyalty.

mvalpreda 03-02-2013 11:31 AM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
For small shops (and maybe large ones) the BES incompatibilities could be a non-issue since the BB10 devices support ActiveSync. Unless you are pushing policies, apps, etc...ActiveSync will be more than enough. You can do all the fun stuff with ActiveSync like remote wipe, turn off syncing, enforce passcodes, etc.

I personally can't wait to get a Q10. I have a 9900 now that my boss has tried to replace multiple time. NO! When an 18 year old comments on how fast I type on my 9900, I know I have the right phone. :) Plus I have an iPhone 5. I can't type on that thing to save my life. It's for media, web and other non-work related playing.

davidmagmedia 03-03-2013 05:21 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
When is the current date for Q10 release in UK?

dc/dc 03-03-2013 06:15 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmagmedia (Post 1800016)
When is the current date for Q10 release in UK?

There isn't one.

Preroll 03-13-2013 10:51 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1799595)
If BlackBerry is going to get me back, it will be with the QWERTY Q10 BlackBerry model.

I wish they were releasing a slider version (either from the side or the bottom) to retain the large screen with a tactile keyboard.:-(

jimfraser 03-18-2013 02:02 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Preroll (Post 1800572)
I wish they were releasing a slider version (either from the side or the bottom) to retain the large screen with a tactile keyboard.:-(

As an owner of the original torch I liked the the large screen with a physical keyboard. I went back to a smaller screen with the 9900 because of the larger keyboard with a touch screen. I agree that the perfect BlackBerry would be a slider with a screen approaching the Z10 and a physical keyboard like the 9900.

UnderNewbie 03-21-2013 11:23 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Do you check the price of Q10:

BlackBerry Q10 pre-orders start in UK and US, launches in late April - GSMArena.com news

Who will buy it?

dc/dc 03-22-2013 08:11 AM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
It will come down in price. Z10s were selling for $1000 when they were first released.

btaylor1 03-27-2013 08:03 AM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
does anyone know if the physical size of the Q10 will be same as 9900? i have smoothtalker carkits for the 9900, and it would be nice if possible not to have to replace them with next upgrade!

dc/dc 03-27-2013 08:48 AM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor1 (Post 1801202)
does anyone know if the physical size of the Q10 will be same as 9900? i have smoothtalker carkits for the 9900, and it would be nice if possible not to have to replace them with next upgrade!

As far as I know, it's taller.

NJBlackBerry 03-27-2013 09:19 AM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
GSMArena has a comparison of the specs of the two phones.

BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 vs. BlackBerry Q10 - GSMArena.com

Looks like the Q10 is a bit taller and wider.

rambo47 04-21-2013 10:24 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Those are some drool-worthy specs for a BlackBerry. Dual core processor at 1.5GHz is something BB owners previously only dared dream of. Likewise an 8MP camera with LED flash and autofocus. And how about that 2GB RAM?? Finally!! And a 3.1" screen to boot! Getting rid of the trackpad lets them increase the screen size without adding appreciably to the overall dimensions. We're talking a couple millimeters added to the 9900's dimensions. I'll take that!

rambo47 04-23-2013 05:38 PM

Re: Waiting For The Q10
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Preroll (Post 1800572)
I wish they were releasing a slider version (either from the side or the bottom) to retain the large screen with a tactile keyboard.:-(

Looks like your wish will be granted. Check out this on Engadget: BlackBerry awarded design patent for portrait QWERTY slider, could be a BB10 Torch (y)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.