BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Z10 Series Discussion - BlackBerry 10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-z10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/)
-   -   BB10 and Exchange 2012 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-z10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/263384-bb10-exchange-2012-a.html)

barbward 01-30-2013 12:30 PM

BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
I've been told that if I get a BB10 and we upgrade to Exchange Server 2012 at work, I will not be able to connect to my email on my Blackberry.

Anyone know why? I've heard has something to do with MAPI not being available in Exchange 2012...or something like that..

jsconyers 01-30-2013 12:34 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Who told you this?

barbward 01-30-2013 12:58 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1798116)
Who told you this?


Our IT admnistrator at work.

Akito 01-30-2013 01:00 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
It won't work with BES....that is probably what your admin was talking about. BTW...there is no such thing as Exchange 2012. It was 2010 and jumped to 2013.
The server side needs to get the new BB10 Server S/W. If you are using BIS to connect to your work email, then I imagine it would work fine.

jsconyers 01-30-2013 01:05 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
I believe what Akito says is more accurate.

barbward 01-30-2013 01:08 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akito (Post 1798119)
It won't work with BES....that is probably what your admin was talking about. BTW...there is no such thing as Exchange 2012. It was 2010 and jumped to 2013.
The server side needs to get the new BB10 Server S/W. If you are using BIS to connect to your work email, then I imagine it would work fine.

Thanks Akito for that clarification!

The IT admin keeps pushing Android phones and iPhones saying it's so easy to set them up and we don't need to buy a separate 'BES' server. He hates Blackberry...but I've always loved my Blackberry. :smile:

What are the advantages of having a BB with BES that you don't have with those other phones?

fourstringfuror 01-30-2013 01:17 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbward (Post 1798122)
What are the advantages of having a BB with BES that you don't have with those other phones?

There's every advantage, in my opinion. Push email, calendar, directory lookup, voice mail; the list goes on. Most importantly is the data security BlackBerry provides.

lg777 01-31-2013 09:00 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
You need a new IT Admin to start.

knottyrope 02-04-2013 01:12 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
BB10 support Exchange Active Sync out of the box

It works well on my Z10

steakman 02-05-2013 09:50 AM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Knotty..how about posting your first impressions on the Z10..??

I'm still sitting on the fence on this phone..would like to hear your thoughts.

acoustix 02-07-2013 11:23 AM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbward (Post 1798122)
Thanks Akito for that clarification!

The IT admin keeps pushing Android phones and iPhones saying it's so easy to set them up and we don't need to buy a separate 'BES' server.

Is your company aware that by only using Active Sync on iPhones and Android that they are opening themselves up to compromised data? Active Sync provides little security compared to other platforms. Your IT admin should be using BB Mobile Fusion, BES 10, Zenprise, Good, IronMobile, or another 3rd party server to block personal and company information from mixing.

For example, if someone in your company installed the TrueCaller app (or something similar) your contacts are sent to a global directory. You could be potentially allowing a 3rd party app to search your company's directory, email, etc. With a system like BlackBerry Balance you can split your personal and business applications.

scaevola 06-17-2013 09:09 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
iirc ...and this is just best guess....
the new upgrade to best it's something post 5.x.....

corrects alot of the bb10 issues however I am not aware if it is exchange 2012 compatible (and based on a blatant hunch ...I think unlikely....)

stevew 06-17-2013 11:25 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lg777 (Post 1798295)
You need a new IT Admin to start.

Agreed and Knotty Rope is 100% bang on. It works out of the box with Exchange.

stevew 06-17-2013 11:28 PM

Re: BB10 and Exchange 2012
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acoustix (Post 1798923)
Is your company aware that by only using Active Sync on iPhones and Android that they are opening themselves up to compromised data? Active Sync provides little security compared to other platforms. Your IT admin should be using BB Mobile Fusion, BES 10, Zenprise, Good, IronMobile, or another 3rd party server to block personal and company information from mixing.

For example, if someone in your company installed the TrueCaller app (or something similar) your contacts are sent to a global directory. You could be potentially allowing a 3rd party app to search your company's directory, email, etc. With a system like BlackBerry Balance you can split your personal and business applications.

You have no real added security using a Z10 with BES10 over JUST EAS on the Z10, just policy administration and Balance. BES10 uses EAS and no other security or added encryption over EAS. You can also remove most app permissions right on the Z10 as well if you so choose.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.