BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General Z10 Series Discussion - BlackBerry 10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-z10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/)
-   -   Verizon back-up assistant plus (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-z10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/264497-verizon-back-up-assistant-plus.html)

luckygrandma 06-12-2013 01:23 AM

Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Help! I was unable to make the back-up assistant work; kept getting an error message. Some un-educated Verizon technical assistant suggested I delete the back-up assistant plus app and download it. Well guess what? I blindly followed his instructions and when we couldn't find the app to downloand, I was told by his supervisor that it's not an app but part of the original operating system and the only way to get it back is to wipe out my operating system and reload it. I'm so afraid to do that. Has anyone had problems with back-up assistant plus (Verizon) on their Z10? Does anyone know if it's a downloadable app? I can't seem to find it when I do an Internet search. Thanks!

dc/dc 06-12-2013 05:30 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
You should never use Backup Assistant or any other carrier-provided contact sync. Sync your contacts to an e-mail service like outlook.com.

Did you back up your contacts from your old device?

arieltf 06-12-2013 07:33 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckygrandma (Post 1804472)
Help! I was unable to make the back-up assistant work; kept getting an error message. Some un-educated Verizon technical assistant suggested I delete the back-up assistant plus app and download it. Well guess what? I blindly followed his instructions and when we couldn't find the app to downloand, I was told by his supervisor that it's not an app but part of the original operating system and the only way to get it back is to wipe out my operating system and reload it. I'm so afraid to do that. Has anyone had problems with back-up assistant plus (Verizon) on their Z10? Does anyone know if it's a downloadable app? I can't seem to find it when I do an Internet search. Thanks!

It is in BlackBerry World. Tap on the Verizon logo and then "Apps by Verizon".

arieltf 06-12-2013 07:35 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1804478)
You should never use Backup Assistant or any other carrier-provided contact sync. Sync your contacts to an e-mail service like outlook.com.

...

I backup using Backup Assistant as well as outlook.com just for redundancy. You can't rely on just one location for backups. ;-)

dc/dc 06-12-2013 09:37 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arieltf (Post 1804484)
I backup using Backup Assistant as well as outlook.com just for redundancy. You can't rely on just one location for backups. ;-)

You don't need the redundancy on the device, you need it at an offline location.

arieltf 06-12-2013 08:26 PM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1804487)
You don't need the redundancy on the device, you need it at an offline location.

Yes. That's what Backup Assistant does. It backs up your contacts to the Verizon website.

dc/dc 06-12-2013 10:32 PM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arieltf (Post 1804510)
Yes. That's what Backup Assistant does. It backs up your contacts to the Verizon website.

That's not offline.

arieltf 06-13-2013 06:59 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1804512)
That's not offline.

Redundancy doesn't mean you need, necessarily, an offline location for backups. It means you have secondary resources (offline or offline) for the backup.

dc/dc 06-13-2013 07:38 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arieltf (Post 1804516)
(offline or offline)

QFT. :razz:

Anyway, you're arguing semantics at this point. I disagree with you and will continue to do so. There's no point in continuing to argue.

daphne 06-13-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1804478)
You should never use Backup Assistant or any other carrier-provided contact sync. Sync your contacts to an e-mail service like outlook.com.

Did you back up your contacts from your old device?

What is your reason for saying never use a carrier provided contact sync? What is the harm of using it?

dc/dc 06-13-2013 11:57 AM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1804531)
What is your reason for saying never use a carrier provided contact sync? What is the harm of using it?

There isn't harm, per se, but what if you change carriers or change to a device that isn't compatible? You're SOL. I simply don't consider it to be reliable.

daphne 06-13-2013 10:45 PM

Re: Verizon back-up assistant plus
 
Yes, that makes sense, I was curious. I've used the VZW backup assistant a few times, but it seemed very buggy when I used it. Outlook.com works great.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.