BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: montreal
Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus and rogers
Posts: 205
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

in your bb browser
Garmin Mobile: Built for BlackBerry

did any body get to the end of the trial yet?does it ask for a key??
__________________
DroidTech
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
FF2
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 755
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Found the link a bit earlier - downloaded it - ran it and BOOM!!!!! The basic message from the software was this does not run on a Verizon unit! I then had to REMOVE it. Why not screen verizon users out a bit earlier in the process?
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 116
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also, blackberry's mobile home page has a link to it.

For what it's worth, my only complaint about the Garmin application is it seems to me you can't get directions to a street without a street number (kind of useful if you don't know the exact address of your destination).
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
FF2
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 755
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, being curious, I just called Garmin support, mobile, blackberry, etc. Spoke with a TechSupport guy who spoke with a specialist. They apparently don't really know the 8830/verizon but at the end, said there was NO trial and that I could purchase the software and THEIR gps-device and try it. They did not know if it would work with my Freedom puck. We both chuckled as I said I would be willing to test it for them. NO GO!

I am not currently in the mood to waste $99.00.

Someone want to be the first on the Verizon 8830 block?
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Westchester County, NY
Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 24
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn View Post
Also, blackberry's mobile home page has a link to it.

For what it's worth, my only complaint about the Garmin application is it seems to me you can't get directions to a street without a street number (kind of useful if you don't know the exact address of your destination).
Haven't tried just a street address directly on the BB yet but you can do it thru Mobile Manager on their website which you can then access thru Where To? > My Locations > Mobile Manager in the BB application. A bit awkward and useless if you don't have access to a PC when you need to put in directions.

I'll have to try just a street name directly on the PC tomorrow.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Posts: 116
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Well, being curious, I just called Garmin support, mobile, blackberry, etc. Spoke with a TechSupport guy who spoke with a specialist. They apparently don't really know the 8830/verizon but at the end, said there was NO trial and that I could purchase the software and THEIR gps-device and try it. They did not know if it would work with my Freedom puck. We both chuckled as I said I would be willing to test it for them. NO GO!

I am not currently in the mood to waste $99.00.

Someone want to be the first on the Verizon 8830 block?
From your BB, go to mobile.blackberry.com

You should be able to find the 30 day trial under Applications>Navigation & Mapping

That's where I got it, anyway.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
FF2
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 755
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn View Post
From your BB, go to mobile.blackberry.com

You should be able to find the 30 day trial under Applications>Navigation & Mapping

That's where I got it, anyway.
The DEMO does NOT work on the Verizon 8830. You can waste time downloading and installing it but then the software, once run, says it canNOT run on the verizon phone.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Redflea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.131
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1,598
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If it wouldn't run for you w/your Freedom puck (the same one I have) then it sounds like they are blocking on Verizon...or maybe Verizon is blocking them?

Garmin's page (Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry) lists two offers, for those with and without GPS:

Appears Garmin offers a one-time $99 charge for internal GPS, but an annual subscription for no internal GPS and using a Garmin puck. It shouldn't matter to the SW whether I'm using an internal GPS or a puck - it should be transparent to the software...no idea why Garmin thinks this is a good market strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin internal GPS offer
BlackBerry devices with GPS. Only $99.99 xxx8212; this download gives you turn-by-turn directions to millions of destinations.

With this purchase, download software directly to your BlackBerry for the lifetime of your device. Includes everything you need xxx8212; maps, millions of POIs and easy-to-use navigation software.

Popular phones include the BlackBerry 8310 & 8800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin no GPS offer
BlackBerry devices with GPS. $149.99 subscription xxx8212; this navigation solution gives you turn-by-turn directions to millions of destinations.

Get a compact GPS receiver and a 1-year subscription for server-based navigation. Receive everything you need via the mobile internet straight from Garmin servers xxx8212; the latest maps, millions of POIs and easy-to-use navigation software.

Popular phones include the BlackBerry Pearl, 8700 and more.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Redflea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.131
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1,598
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

BTW...there is a link to the 30 day Garmin trial on the BB mobile site. As FF2 noted, it does not run on Verizon phones...got the same message on my Pearl.

Last edited by Redflea : 05-22-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wonder if they have hired a support person yet. If you search my threads or see my site, you will see that I have been consistently unimpressed with their support. Hard to evaluate them without anyone answering on their end. Yes make sure of the device upgrade policy.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Westchester County, NY
Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 24
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I wonder if they have hired a support person yet. If you search my threads or see my site, you will see that I have been consistently unimpressed with their support. Hard to evaluate them without anyone answering on their end. Yes make sure of the device upgrade policy.
I have had to call them a couple of times over the last few days. No problem at all. 2 or 3 minute wait before a very pleasant, friendly, and helpful rep came on the line. I was even told the approximate wait time. With all the competition maybe they have changed their ways.
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
bobreiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Granite State
Model: 8820
PIN: 2421224E
Carrier: The New Big Blue Ball
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down This sucks

No option to map contacts from address book- telenav and copilot both do this. I cant even find a way to pull up the addres sbook when in the app.
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
CO_BBTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,044
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I found the app to be very basic with no frills or extras (like a compass, car finder, etc...) I find the Telenav app to be far superior for my needs. Wish they (Telenav) had a lifetime subscription offering though
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 50
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceschab View Post
Haven't tried just a street address directly on the BB yet but you can do it thru Mobile Manager on their website which you can then access thru Where To? > My Locations > Mobile Manager in the BB application. A bit awkward and useless if you don't have access to a PC when you need to put in directions.

I'll have to try just a street name directly on the PC tomorrow.
One way around this is to enter intersection info instead of the end street address. I happen to like the garmin better then telenav only because it is a faster more "light weight" app that is very good at the basic GPS directions and POI info. I'm using an unlocked 8820 on T-Mobile and it works flawlessly.
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Westchester County, NY
Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 24
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlsystem View Post
One way around this is to enter intersection info instead of the end street address. I happen to like the garmin better then telenav only because it is a faster more "light weight" app that is very good at the basic GPS directions and POI info. I'm using an unlocked 8820 on T-Mobile and it works flawlessly.
If you don't have the street number you can just put in any random number to get you to the street. I have found that even "0" works
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
jorgeledesmadds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami
Model: 8310
PIN: 2440be7c
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 181
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I thought the application left much to be desired, two thumbs down, very enthusiastically down, Mapquest is so much better.
__________________
Regards,

Jorge Ledesma
www.blackberrygtd.com & www.berryreview.com
Offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 65
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

how does this compare w/ mapquest?
Offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

would be nice to have a good comparison between all of them. My wife has telenav... seems to be real nice. Waiting for my bold to install one.... of course want the best
Offline  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree that Mapquest is working out very well in my area (New Mexico). I tried the Garmin trial and was amazed that it couldn't find addresses that both Telenav and Mapquest found with ease. I deleted the Garmin program pretty quickly. I've had a subscription to Telenav for several months. Unfortunately, Telenav got really weird a couple of weeks ago and its accuracy and tracking went down the tubes. Telenav was making so many mistakes, I found I couldn't use it, which is ashame as it has some nice features and it worked with my Bluetooth headsets. I've now subscribed to Mapquest also and it is working great. I'm finding the Mapquest Navigator to be easier to understand, directions seem more detailed, love the "night mode", and it appears to be VERY accurate with addresses and navigation. Much better than Telenav for me so far. Can't get it to work with Bluetooth, and the interface maybe not quite as slick, but overall, seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, especially at $50/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeledesmadds View Post
I thought the application left much to be desired, two thumbs down, very enthusiastically down, Mapquest is so much better.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #40 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeykool View Post
how does this compare w/ mapquest?
I seriously recommend that everyone just download and try each one. There's quite a bit of subjective preference that plays in to the decision making process if you can't tell by reading this thread.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.