BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
troutab81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Model: 8800
Carrier: Cbell
Posts: 82
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/135)

Does anyone have any information as to whether google maps will support GPS?

I just got a bluetooth gps puck and using with bbmaps, but love the functionality of google maps instead.
Offline  
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

At least one Samsung phone has it. We think it's just a matter of time.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Posts: 505
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Actually I don't believe Google Maps will ever bring GPS support for free.

The map data they are using is from TeleAtlas, And1 and NavTech. They are also data providers for the commercial car navigation systems as well as for the handheld navigation systems like these from TomTom or Navigon. They will never allow to bring down their market with a product that is for free. So if Google Maps will ever have GPS support you will have to pay for it.

That's what I think.
Offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym
Actually I don't believe Google Maps will ever bring GPS support for free.

The map data they are using is from TeleAtlas, And1 and NavTech. They are also data providers for the commercial car navigation systems as well as for the handheld navigation systems like these from TomTom or Navigon. They will never allow to bring down their market with a product that is for free. So if Google Maps will ever have GPS support you will have to pay for it.

That's what I think.
Is And1 a data provider or a typo? Fair assessment and a possibility. Do you have insight as to why the Samsung phone as it. Pretty easy to add, and RIM is making a great push in this area. If Google pays for the data, why not? Only time will tell, and in any event I expect the competition to increase in this space.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Posts: 505
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Is And1 a data provider or a typo? Fair assessment and a possibility. Do you have insight as to why the Samsung phone as it. Pretty easy to add, and RIM is making a great push in this area. If Google pays for the data, why not? Only time will tell, and in any event I expect the competition to increase in this space.
Sorry, I misspelled it. The company is called AND (AND Automotive Navigation Data). I don't have backstage infos from samsung but I was working at a navigation research facility of Bosch/Blaupunkt some years ago. As you might know Blaupunkt is a world leading vendor of car navigation systems and it also one of the owners of TeleAtlas.

The navigation data providers tell their customers what conditions the usage of their data have to be covered. E.g. an excerpt of the Google Maps Terms of Use:

In addition, the Service may not be used: (a) for or with real time route guidance (including without limitation, turn-by-turn route guidance and other routing that is enabled through the use of a sensor), or (b) for, or in connection with, any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior.

(Google Maps API - Terms of Use)

Especially this part came from the data providers who want to protect their business and their customers. So if there is a free program on the market for everyone, who would by a navigation system?

BTW: All programs that passed by combining Google.Maps and a GPS receiver seem to violate that terms and their vendors should better be careful on what they are doing. It might become some kind of expensive some day.
Offline  
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym
The navigation data providers tell their customers what conditions the usage of their data have to be covered. E.g. an excerpt of the Google Maps Terms of Use:

In addition, the Service may not be used: (a) for or with real time route guidance (including without limitation, turn-by-turn route guidance and other routing that is enabled through the use of a sensor), or (b) for, or in connection with, any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior.

(Google Maps API - Terms of Use)

More great data and thanks for that. Can you investigate the Samsung situation and report back on that. Why should one phone/carrier/model be an exception?
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 12-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Posts: 505
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
More great data and thanks for that. Can you investigate the Samsung situation and report back on that. Why should one phone/carrier/model be an exception?
I am not sure. Do you have a link to the program and it's description?
Offline  
Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym
I am not sure. Do you have a link to the program and it's description?
The following two links give some info.

Static Multimedia - Samsung has GPS-Enabled Google Maps for Mobile and Buddy Beacon

Google Maps

Somebody is footing some bill for this, but it is possible to enable Google for GPS.
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog

Last edited by Stinsonddog : 12-30-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
ron.pepper@sympatico.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kirkland, Quebec
Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutab81
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/135)

Does anyone have any information as to whether google maps will support GPS?

I just got a bluetooth gps puck and using with bbmaps, but love the functionality of google maps instead.
I have a gLOBALsAT gps receiver and a BB8700R and use Google Maps with GPS and it works fine!

I have to apologize after checking my software it was in fact BBMAPS not Google! Many apologies for not being more thorough before responding!!
__________________
pep8700r

Last edited by ron.pepper@sympatico.ca : 01-02-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
MrKyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 4s
OS: iOS
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 4,546
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.pepper@sympatico.ca
I have a gLOBALsAT gps receiver and a BB8700R and use Google Maps with GPS and it works fine!
You’re able to use GPS with your Google Maps?

~MrKyoo
__________________
http://twitter.com/mrkyoo
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 7130E
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 59
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think Helio paid for some kind of exclusive right for it. They have ads in many magazines saying that it is the ONLY phone with GPS enabled google map. I am sure if google turns around and give out free GPS enabled software to other phones, Helio will be very upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
The following two links give some info.

Static Multimedia - Samsung has GPS-Enabled Google Maps for Mobile and Buddy Beacon

Google Maps

Somebody is footing some bill for this, but it is possible to enable Google for GPS.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile US
Posts: 57
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm sure Samsung paid a pretty penny for 'exclusive' GPS Google Maps for a given time frame, probably just long enough to last through the phone's initial craze. The real question is, when that exclusive contract runs out in 6 months to a year, will Google release the GPS version for other phones, or make another exclusive contract with another vendor?

I hope they will release it (or make a contract with RIM ) but its hard to say what they will do... They do reserve the 'best' technology to sell to make money, but at the same time, they've got a reputation for giving away all sorts of things that no other company would give away for free.

Future contracts they may form might even be as simple as "Google maps, preinstalled, and preconfigured", which would be a value to the customers, most of whom don't know the meaning of OTA, and wouldn't know the first thing about configuring a Bluetooth puck. Not as valuable as an exclusive contract, but still offers value, "Blah blah blah phone! The only one with Google Maps GPS ready to rock the moment you turn on the phone! Woo!"

I suppose we'll see...

peace,
sam
Offline  
Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile US
Posts: 57
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Here's another thought, what if Google buys TeleAtlas and/or NavTech..

It could happen!

peace,
sam
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.