BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/)
-   -   The 8800c with GPS or Google Maps? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/65233-8800c-gps-google-maps.html)

hailer 02-15-2007 06:37 PM

The 8800c with GPS or Google Maps?
 
Just wondering how many who are going to go out and purchase the 8800 when it comes out Feb 21 will also pay the extra $9.95 a month for GPS tracking with Cingular? I think that is going to be the monthly charge.

Or are you just going to continue to use Google Maps which is free?

LunkHead 02-15-2007 06:38 PM

I am waiting for the T-Mo version and IF it offers the GPS I will pass as I have in dash gps in my Envoy....

backbeat 02-15-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailer
Just wondering how many who are going to go out and purchase the 8800 when it comes out Feb 21 will also pay the extra $9.95 a month for GPS tracking with Cingular? I think that is going to be the monthly charge.

Or are you just going to continue to use Google Maps which is free?

I vote for 3rd-Party GPS maps support without the contractual obligation b/s.

mzini 02-15-2007 07:53 PM

I think it all depends on how much you use GPS. Because of my business, I depend on GPS and use it frequently. So for me, the $9.95 a month will be well worth it (I plan on selling my current Garmin unit).

I will be picking this bad boy up on Wednesday and will most likely be hoping on to the GPS plan. Is the GPS plan going to be something that I have to setup with Cingular when I buy the phone?

Stinsonddog 02-15-2007 09:43 PM

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips

Fungineer 02-15-2007 10:22 PM

The additional $10/mo is only for the turn-by-turn voice directions and (unlimited?) point-of-interest lookups. You can still use BBMaps or GoogleMaps for free (or well, for the cost of data usage).

tcpetersesq 02-16-2007 12:17 PM

"Free" GPS on the 8800 with Cingy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungineer
The additional $10/mo is only for the turn-by-turn voice directions and (unlimited?) point-of-interest lookups. You can still use BBMaps or GoogleMaps for free (or well, for the cost of data usage).

Do we know this to be the case? I use BB Maps all the time (for free) on my Pearl, using an external GPS. I'd love to get the 8800 with the GPS built in, but not is using it necessarily ties me to a monthly charge through Cingular. Do we know for sure that the GPS can be used for "free" (understand there will be data charges of course) when using BB Maps? If so, I can forego the turn-by-turn instructions.

Stinsonddog 02-16-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpetersesq
Do we know this to be the case? I use BB Maps all the time (for free) on my Pearl, using an external GPS. I'd love to get the 8800 with the GPS built in, but not is using it necessarily ties me to a monthly charge through Cingular. Do we know for sure that the GPS can be used for "free" (understand there will be data charges of course) when using BB Maps? If so, I can forego the turn-by-turn instructions.

Yes BBMaps will be data only and see my thread and updated tips page on the improvements in the 8800 version of BBMaps.

tcpetersesq 02-16-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Yes BBMaps will be data only and see my thread and updated tips page on the improvements in the 8800 version of BBMaps.

Thanks very much.

I'm presently torn as to whether to move to the 8800. The GPS is a strong selling point for the 8800 (as is the full keyboard, longer-life battery and better speaker). I also like losing the camera (I prefer not to have one.)

Aside from these differences, is there any other burning reason to move to the 8800 from the Pearl? It seems it's all a matter of personal choice... I'm just hoping I'm not missing something, and so I will appreciate any feeback anyone cares to offer. (My apologies in advance if this inquiry is better posted to another board - I'm new here. :oops: )

Stinsonddog 02-16-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpetersesq
Thanks very much.

I'm presently torn as to whether to move to the 8800. The GPS is a strong selling point for the 8800 (as is the full keyboard, longer-life battery and better speaker). I also like losing the camera (I prefer not to have one.)

Aside from these differences, is there any other burning reason to move to the 8800 from the Pearl? It seems it's all a matter of personal choice... I'm just hoping I'm not missing something, and so I will appreciate any feeback anyone cares to offer. (My apologies in advance if this inquiry is better posted to another board - I'm new here. :oops: )


YES A HUGE ONE - HOME SCREEN SHORTCUTS MAKE YOUR LIFE A LOT EASIER TO GET TO APPLICATIONS

tcpetersesq 02-16-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
YES A HUGE ONE - HOME SCREEN SHORTCUTS MAKE YOUR LIFE A LOT EASIER TO GET TO APPLICATIONS

I'm a prior 8700 user (before the Pearl) - but never did much with shortcuts. I've looked at your tips - impressive (y) - so is that to say that the shortcuts are better on the 8800 than on the pearl?

Stinsonddog 02-16-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpetersesq
I'm a prior 8700 user (before the Pearl) - but never did much with shortcuts. I've looked at your tips - impressive (y) - so is that to say that the shortcuts are better on the 8800 than on the pearl?

Yes and Yes and Yes, as they don't exist on Suretype devices. No home screen shortcuts and no refresh browswer key.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.