My Rogers 7280 is a former broken Cingular.
Speaking of that, there's a story behind that...
Some of you familiar visitors that come from different Blackberry forums may remember my interesting posts in April in the other forums about giving my Blackberry circuit board a 10 minute bath in distilled water followed by a low-temperature 150 degree bake for a few hours, which fixed a broken Cingular 7280 that I intentionally purchased at less than half the price of a new "contract" Blackberry 7280 or about one third the price of a "non-contract" Blackberry 7280.
Some of the other newer forum members will say in a shocked manner: Huh? You intentionally washed a 7280 completely immersed in water!?"
True, but it is not quite that simple. (It was dissasembled as much as possible first!). It took me a month before I got the guts to put the Blackberry circuit board (sans casing, metal cover and LCD) into a bowl of distilled water, swish it nonstop for 10 minutes, and then put it in an oven on a paper towel preheated to 150 degrees (intermittently turning it back on every 15 minutes for 1 minute to maintain 150 degrees).
Liquid immersion in a circuit-board-safe liquid is the industry standard procedure for repairing water-damaged electronics. It's contaminants that's often the only damage; you simply need to get rid of contaminants with a gentle solvent. Other times it's stubborn moisture stuck in the micrometers of space underneath chips between chips and circuit board, which simply need to be baked out at low temperatures that's much hotter than room temperature. I got a lot of information when researching the repair industry. What happens is that clean liquid washes away dirty contaminants that are causing short circuits and fake resistors, then you bake to evaporate all the clean liquid, and presto -- average 50% chance of successful repair of a water-damaged cellphone | PDA | digicam | etc. More complex electronics such as water-damaged laptops are vastly more difficult to dissassemble and repair, as several components probably need to be replaced, so I don't bother with that.
I did the Q-Tip thing at first, but that did not work (contaminants can get under chips, and short pins of BGA chips, etc, your Q-Tip ain't going to be able to do zip in these cases).
It is important to remove the battery immediately upon first accident with water (the battery is the main reason of damage in water-damaged electronics, water causes short-circuits while the battery is still installed). And resist testing the electronics until it's fully cleaned (washed first in liquid if necessary) and dried out for a few days (or a few hours completely dissassembled under a heat lamp or low-temp baking). Some electronics containing only plastic chips on plastic circuit boards have been successfully repaired after being underwater in a lake for a full week! Certain elements such as LCD screens have a connector that is sensitive to water, especially if the water leaks between the two layers of the LCD glass, so that's why I removed the LCD screen first. (RIM950 LCD screens are very water sensitive, they are always the first thing to break when a RIM950 gets immersed in liquid, but everything else in those are repairable using the wash-and-bake method.)
I should add, it is absolutely critical to completely disassemble any water-damaged gadget before attempting such a procedure. (No casing, no metal circuitboard covers, no LCD screen, just the bare motherboard with all components in plain view) In fact, if possible, dissassembly immediately after first waterlogging accident is important if you want to try and skip the circuit board immersion-cleaning method I used, but one must resist the temptation to test the device until it's cleaned and dried out.
I also posted some of this information in sci.electronics.misc: Google Newsgroup Article about Fixing my Blackberry Complete newsgroup thread containing different suggestions; Denatured alcohol; distilled water; etc