BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/iphone-android-other-handheld-forum/)
-   -   nokia n series and the usa. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/iphone-android-other-handheld-forum/164119-nokia-n-series-usa.html)

wabbit 12-08-2008 08:35 PM

nokia n series and the usa.
 
is it me or the n series is just never making it to a us carrier?

i'm sorta disapointed in this fact, the n97 when its to debute, looks like a sweet phone!

flash support, 32 gigs mem, etc phone looks hot! yet no us carrier carries any is it me or just nokia who dominates the market, is just left to sell like a 100 bux flip phone in the us?

bbguy2 12-09-2008 03:02 AM

as BGR put it, "we all know that Nokia couldnxxx8217;t market a free space heater to an Eskimo here in the US."

muqtada123 02-03-2009 08:05 AM

what do u mean

muqtada123 02-03-2009 08:05 AM

i love nokia phones specially N series

muqtada123 02-03-2009 08:06 AM

Whats your matter that you got disappointed with N97?

wabbit 03-29-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muqtada123 (Post 1269538)
Whats your matter that you got disappointed with N97?

that it wont come to the us under att or vz :-(

dc/dc 03-29-2009 10:27 AM

The reason you will never see an N-Series phone sold by a carrier in the US is that the market does not exist. The N97 will likely cost well above $1000 when it is released. Even if a carrier subsidized that to, let's say, $500 with a contract. They still couldn't sell it.

Americans want free or extremely cheap phones. That's the bottom line. Carriers simply can't sell handsets for more than $300 on contract in this country.

LuisT 03-29-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1336160)
The reason you will never see an N-Series phone sold by a carrier in the US is that the market does not exist. The N97 will likely cost well above $1000 when it is released. Even if a carrier subsidized that to, let's say, $500 with a contract. They still couldn't sell it.

Americans want free or extremely cheap phones. That's the bottom line. Carriers simply can't sell handsets for more than $300 on contract in this country.

Totally true. If only the N-Series was cheaper :).

-Luis

dc/dc 03-29-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuisT (Post 1336323)
Totally true. If only the N-Series was cheaper :).

-Luis

Honestly, I hope they don't get any cheaper. Lower prices usually means lower quality.

fiffer 04-04-2009 01:54 AM

There are lots of quality issues with the Nokia N series. Mostly they're just about style but quality-wise and durability. Blackberry still has my vote.

Drillbit 04-06-2009 02:41 AM

Unlocked, you will find very high costs for Blackberries and HTCs either. In fact, they're not any cheaper than the Nokia N-series. The iPhone, when sold unlocked, isn't cheap too, it should be at least 600 to 700 hundred dollars for the 8 gig.

If you got phones of competitive quality being sold for $99 or $199, against $399 or $499 or $699, its no contest.

But then again, if you bought a prepaid phone, you are free from the tyranny of the contract. If somehow, you can't pay the remainder of your contract, your credit rating isn't affected. You can go month to month, and switch carriers. There are even countries that regulate, no locked phones.

This idea is very important for Asians and Europeans. The sheer freedom of not being locked to a contract and go week by week, month to month, on prepaid cards. If they don't like the carrier, they can easily switch carriers just by changing the SIM card. Or they can easily sell the phone to someone else, get a new phone and put their old SIM on it and works just like that.

That's how Nokia gets around with all their stores in Asia and Europe. Why the best place to find phones aren't with the carriers but with independent stalls and electronic stores that display all brands of phones like they're selling TV sets or cameras.

I'm pretty sure if you are buying for example, an HTC, unlocked GSM, like the Touch HD or Diamond or Touch Pro, these phones aren't cheap. In fact they're very expensive.

At the same time, to show that you carry a phone that is perceived as expensive, is a way to flaunt your social status. There is a lot of people who buy expensive smartphones just as a social status item, and use only 10% of the functionality. Though I gather even these people would use appointments, contact management, text and email as part of those most often used functionality since socialites tend to socially network extensively. And occasionally the camera, though the TV isn't that used as well as the browser, GPS and other stuff.

wabbit 04-06-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1336160)
The reason you will never see an N-Series phone sold by a carrier in the US is that the market does not exist. The N97 will likely cost well above $1000 when it is released. Even if a carrier subsidized that to, let's say, $500 with a contract. They still couldn't sell it.

Americans want free or extremely cheap phones. That's the bottom line. Carriers simply can't sell handsets for more than $300 on contract in this country.

it would still be a nice option to carry, for people who want a high end phone. just my thought on it, i would spend 800 at att for a n series phone.

dc/dc 04-06-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbit (Post 1344186)
it would still be a nice option to carry, for people who want a high end phone. just my thought on it, i would spend 800 at att for a n series phone.

I wouldn't. I'd spend it at a third party so I could get a phone with no carrier bloatware.

CoDudette 04-07-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1336160)
The reason you will never see an N-Series phone sold by a carrier in the US is that the market does not exist. The N97 will likely cost well above $1000 when it is released. Even if a carrier subsidized that to, let's say, $500 with a contract. They still couldn't sell it.

Americans want free or extremely cheap phones. That's the bottom line. Carriers simply can't sell handsets for more than $300 on contract in this country.


it's amazing how it works in the usa. in india, phones are not sold by carrier. most of my friends have unlocked bb's bought from different markets world over.

nokia's are some of the cheapest phones to buy, sony ericssons are expensive. Motorolas *shudder* are for the people who don't use phones for anything else except texting. *shudder*

you rarely buy phones on contracts here. its amazing how cheap they are when sold outright ;)

dc/dc 04-07-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDudette (Post 1344830)
it's amazing how it works in the usa. in india, phones are not sold by carrier. most of my friends have unlocked bb's bought from different markets world over.

nokia's are some of the cheapest phones to buy, sony ericssons are expensive. Motorolas *shudder* are for the people who don't use phones for anything else except texting. *shudder*

you rarely buy phones on contracts here. its amazing how cheap they are when sold outright ;)

That's how it's done in most of Asia and the Middle East. Buying a phone is a separate process from getting service, and I tend to prefer it that way. I've bought a lot of phones in Qatar, and they have phone shops on every corner with varying prices. All unlocked, all unbranded; although until recently there was only one provider in Qatar (QTel), so this didn't make a difference. Now that Vodafone is starting up, I fear that branding and locking may come into play. I found it to be the same in Singapore and South Korea. Tons of phone shops, competitive pricing between the shops, and you usually had to go somewhere else to get your service plan.

Slightly OT, but there is a mall in Seoul where there is an entire floor several hundred square meters in size dedicated to mobile phones. Heaven for me. I can't buy any there because they are all locked to the Korean carriers and don't usually have GSM, but it is always fun to look. :)

Drillbit 04-11-2009 12:01 AM

They probably read in Hangul too, so unless you can read that, those phones are of no use to you.

GSM phone shopping heavens happen in Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, and Malaysia. We're talking of phones that read and write using alphabets and use English in menus and icons.

dc/dc 04-11-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drillbit (Post 1349304)
They probably read in Hangul too, so unless you can read that, those phones are of no use to you.

GSM phone shopping heavens happen in Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, and Malaysia. We're talking of phones that read and write using alphabets and use English in menus and icons.

Almost all Korean phones have English too, so that's no biggie.

Little India in Singapore has insane phone shops. I can't wait to visit Manila.

CoDudette 04-14-2009 03:18 AM

you can get ANY phone you want here. and i've had fones with arabic on them too. :)

dc/dc 04-14-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDudette (Post 1352150)
you can get ANY phone you want here. and i've had fones with arabic on them too. :)

I'm very jealous of that fact... :(

Do they have phones with Hindi? I've never seen one in all my travels.

CoDudette 04-14-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1352246)
I'm very jealous of that fact... :(

Do they have phones with Hindi? I've never seen one in all my travels.

Yes they do.. you can even change the script on certain nokia's whereby you can have all your features/sms etc in hindi :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.