BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried to activate an ATT berry SIM in an iPhone?

Please Login to Remove!

Did anyone try to activate an ATT SIM that has a blackberry plan (I am most interested about BIS) in an iPhone? I wonder if that would add the $20 iphone data plan on top of the Blackberry data plan, and allow the SIM to work in both the Blackberry and the iPhone. If that is the case, how are yahoo emails pushed if the same account is registered both on BIS and iPhone?
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

I don't think it's known yet if the iphone even has a sim card.
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

** Moved to Handheld Forum **
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Jack T. Chance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: East Coast, USA
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0~1014
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 481
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I don't think it's known yet if the iphone even has a sim card.
And isn't that sad?

The iPhone hype began 6 months ago, it went on sale a little over 48 hours ago, and we STILL don't know if it takes a SIM card!

I would imagine it does, since every other at&t phone does, but you never know, maybe Uncle Steve-o found a way to get rid of the SIM card... which might explain the 10% restocking fee on returns, actually!
__________________
Jack T. Chance's BlackBerry 8700 & 8900 Wallpapers

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, the iPhone does have a SIM, which you can move to any other ATT or unlocked phone and you get voice, texts and data (I tried it with a friend's iphone). It has also been reported on MacRumors and HowardForums that you can use any non prepaid ATT SIM in the iPhone, but you need to "activate" it (via iTunes), which means that it adds the $20 iphone data plan to whatever ATT plan you had on the SIM. I could find no info on whether the iphone plan is in addition or substitutes for any data plan currently on your account.

What I would like to learn is what happens if you try to add a blackberry data plan to an iPhone SIM or an iphone data plan to a blackberry ATT SIM. If that is possible and the two don't interfere, then the SIM should be usable in both the iPhone and the blackberry. You should get calls and texts in whatever device the SIM is in, email sent to [email address] whenever the SIM goes into the blackberry, and pull email from the iPhone. Now, yahoo reportedly pushes email on the iphone, so I wonder what happens if the same yahoo account is pushed to both the blackberry (via BIS) and to the iphone. I would try all this, but my blackberry is on TMobile...

I didn't originally post in "other devices" section because this is a general ATT Blackberry plan question... I think there used to be a GSM Service providers section, but couldn't find it...

Incidentally, my 3 cents on the iPhone:
1. To my great surprise, the keyboard was a non-issue for me. For all my being used to tactile feedback, the visual feedback provided by the iPhone works. I was typing with two thumbs at 90% of Blackberry speed after 10 min.
2. The iPhone is significantly larger than the Pearl. If you don't need the bigger screen (for web browsing, photos, videos), the Pearl form factor still carries the day for me.
3. For corporate users, the iPhone doesn't come close to BB's security, and thus is unlikely to penetrate that market even after it offers push email, exchange integration etc.

Last edited by bakos : 07-02-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Interesting.....
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakos View Post
Yes, the iPhone does have a SIM, which you can move to any other ATT or unlocked phone and you get voice, texts and data (I tried it with a friend's iphone). It has also been reported on MacRumors and HowardForums that you can use any non prepaid ATT SIM in the iPhone, but you need to "activate" it (via iTunes), which means that it adds the $20 iphone data plan to whatever ATT plan you had on the SIM. I could find no info on whether the iphone plan is in addition or substitutes for any data plan currently on your account.

What I would like to learn is what happens if you try to add a blackberry data plan to an iPhone SIM or an iphone data plan to a blackberry ATT SIM. If that is possible and the two don't interfere, then the SIM should be usable in both the iPhone and the blackberry. You should get calls and texts in whatever device the SIM is in, email sent to [email address] whenever the SIM goes into the blackberry, and pull email from the iPhone. Now, yahoo reportedly pushes email on the iphone, so I wonder what happens if the same yahoo account is pushed to both the blackberry (via BIS) and to the iphone. I would try all this, but my blackberry is on TMobile...

I didn't originally post in "other devices" section because this is a general ATT Blackberry plan question... I think there used to be a GSM Service providers section, but couldn't find it...

Incidentally, my 3 cents on the iPhone:
1. To my great surprise, the keyboard was a non-issue for me. For all my being used to tactile feedback, the visual feedback provided by the iPhone works. I was typing with two thumbs at 90% of Blackberry speed after 10 min.
2. The iPhone is significantly larger than the Pearl. If you don't need the bigger screen (for web browsing, photos, videos), the Pearl form factor still carries the day for me.
3. For corporate users, the iPhone doesn't come close to BB's security, and thus is unlikely to penetrate that market even after it offers push email, exchange integration etc.

every review I have seen including the news reports on my local stations show a non consumer accessible sim card.
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
test54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Model: AAPL
OS: iPhone
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Posts: 3,633
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Gallery: Full Resolution iPhone Interface Shots

This came out before release and has been backed up by people with the phone in hand. Its a sim tray much like a treo and the ipod part of the phone functions without sim.

Also I went and toyed around with one for about 15 min, and the EDGE is not fast enough for the full browser. Also the keypad is very easy to type but there are certain keys i kept missing, the surprise was the software that does corrections is amazing at knowing what you wanted to type. Overall though it would take a long time to get used to typing on it.

PC World - iPhone Stress Tests - scratch and drop test, performs well.
__________________
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - unknown

Last edited by test54 : 07-02-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Gallery: Full Resolution iPhone Interface Shots

This came out before release and has been backed up by people with the phone in hand. Its a sim tray much like a treo and the ipod part of the phone functions without sim.

Also I went and toyed around with one for about 15 min, and the EDGE is not fast enough for the full browser. Also the keypad is very easy to type but there are certain keys i kept missing, the surprise was the software that does corrections is amazing at knowing what you wanted to type. Overall though it would take a long time to get used to typing on it.

PC World - iPhone Stress Tests - scratch and drop test, performs well.
cool thanks for the update
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
nef
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UCNJ
Model: 8300
PIN: 240c22c
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It does have a sim card on the top of the phone. It does require a pin to remove it. It deletes whatever bb plan you had and replaces it with the iphone package. At least it did on my account.
__________________
Donde la malicia es la pista. Donde el Diablo vive y Dios solo va de visita.
PIN: 23F24156
Offline  
Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nef View Post
It deletes whatever bb plan you had and replaces it with the iphone package. At least it did on my account.
That sucks... I was hoping an iPhone and a Blackberry could coexist on the same account. Anybody tried to add a blackberry plan after activating their iPhone?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.