BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Linux Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/)
-   -   Ubuntu Server 6.10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/67868-ubuntu-server-6-10-a.html)

blakeatl 03-05-2007 10:02 AM

Ubuntu Server 6.10
 
Ok, I have tried and tried to install Ubuntu server on an extra box that I have, but the dang cd will not boot! It was burned correctly and it auto loads fine once loaded into the cd-rom on any OS, but the dang thing is too stubborn. I have Ubuntu 6.10 desktop now installed on the box and I was wondering if I can go ahead and just convert that box into a server by removing the unneeded stuff and install the LAMP essentials. I've installed VMWare Server, but is that necessary?

rivviepop 03-08-2007 12:37 PM

You ever get anywhere on this? I'm not much help being a RH type of guy, but I know a lot of folks have looked at this thread with no answers. I guess I'm not alone. :)

I use CentOS on my personal type servers - besides being a RH clone for free, what I like most is that it's supported for 5 years. When you just want to throw up a basic apache/samba/ftp box, it's nice to know you'll not have to touch it forever and still get security upgrades et. al.

blakeatl 03-08-2007 03:53 PM

It's a weekend hobby, so I'll jump at it this weekend. I'm just too busy during the week with work and then the kids at home that I hardly have time to mess with it. I'll keep you guys (guy) updated as I'm just gonna convert the worstation into a server.

LunkHead 03-08-2007 06:26 PM

Have you tired the Ubuntu forums?

Ubuntu Forums

I am *not* trying to be rude but I think if we start using this area for Linux OS troubleshooting we might loose it....

blakeatl 03-09-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead
Have you tired the Ubuntu forums?

Ubuntu Forums

I am *not* trying to be rude but I think if we start using this area for Linux OS troubleshooting we might loose it....

Hey, I understand......my bad. I've come to dislike Ubuntu forums because the search feature is so blah. Most of my searches are taken to google and I find them there.

erroneus 03-09-2007 05:12 AM

I wouldn't say it was your bad. I actually took for granted that you also tried to solicit help from the Ubuntu forums. I know I don't stop at one forum when seeking answers...

Here's an unrelated question: my firmware is older than yours I think. Why do you have a newer version? Does it help in some way or perhaps add more restrictions?

LunkHead 03-09-2007 05:43 AM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

@ erroneus

While you may not care if we loose this area, I do! I am pretty sure that one of the considerations before making us a Linux forum was a fear of it getting bogged down with non BB related OS issues..

@ blakeatl

You should be able to install LAMP right on the current OS and use it as a server.

I will get you a batter walk through and will post back! :)

blakeatl 03-09-2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

@ erroneus

While you may not care if we loose this area, I do! I am pretty sure that one of the considerations before making us a Linux forum was a fear of it getting bogged down with non BB related OS issues..

@ blakeatl

You should be able to install LAMP right on the current OS and use it as a server.

I will get you a batter walk through and will post back! :)

Cool.

rivviepop 03-09-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erroneus
Here's an unrelated question: my firmware is older than yours I think. Why do you have a newer version? Does it help in some way or perhaps add more restrictions?

It's just a bunch of bugfixes -- I was running .64 and it was perfectly fine except for one bug, so i upgraded to get rid of it. But all in all .64 seems like a good, stable release -- if you don't see anything wrong/broken, don't sweat upgrading.

My $0.02.

blakeatl 03-09-2007 02:20 PM

I agree. Sorry for the late response. I got tied up with work.

LunkHead 03-09-2007 03:04 PM

@ blakeatl

Here is an excelent walk through :)

Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) LAMP Server Installation with Screenshots -- Debian Admin

ilya 03-09-2007 04:03 PM

try installing ubuntu alternative text version cd.

LunkHead 03-09-2007 04:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Still going to need LAMP....



I'd try a download of the server edition and checksum it, then burn it no faster that 2X burn speed

Text version is 'usually' for very low ram / old machines..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.