BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gsontag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SLC
Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mac questions

Please Login to Remove!

So i am in a mac only house and dont have any access to a PC. I am able to add music to my BB with BB Media Sync but i added all my contacts when i switched my phones and added my calender by hand. I am wondering what software i can use to sync my mac and BB that WORKS? i have Pocketmac but it does not work at all.

Also, can you install a beta OS from a mac or is it PC only?

Thanks for the help guys
__________________
G.Sontag
Offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
rachamphetamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 3,117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Missing Sync is supposedly wonderful (I say supposedly only because I don't use it, but many people swear by it) but it is not free. You can find it here: BlackBerry Sync Mac - Sync contacts, calendars, notes, playlists and photos

OSes can be installed from PCs only unless you run VMWare Fusion or Parallels with a copy of Windows.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gsontag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SLC
Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was looking at paralleling windows XP but i dont think its worth it. I heard a rumor that BB is releasing a Mac sync in 09? Any truth to this and any date set? or is this like BB media sync and its just for music?
__________________
G.Sontag
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
rachamphetamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 3,117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't remember reading anything about it, but I do know that RIM is working on a Mac program right now. If it's been reported, try checking blackberrynews.com because would have surely put up an article about it
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.296
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,384
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am a heavy Mac user as well, using Google Sync with Google Calendar and Contacts is my preferred approach.

As far as loading a new OS, I have only had success with a standalone PC.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use missing sync and find that it syncs the ical and address book and also iTunes on the microSD card.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
CMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.141
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I am a heavy Mac user as well, using Google Sync with Google Calendar and Contacts is my preferred approach.

As far as loading a new OS, I have only had success with a standalone PC.

Loading new OS works fine using VMWare's Fusion, I have upgraded my Bold a few time using it on MacPro. Only issue is when its reading ROM it disconnects phone, just select the "Connect RIM Device" in the bottom right corner of the virtual machines window and it picks up where it left off.

Last time I tried to use Parallels with a Blackberry it didn't work.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.296
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,384
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks CMatthews, that is helpful information. I have used Parallels on my last attempt and it failed miserably.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
user242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: College Park, MD
Model: 9550
OS: 5.0
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 124
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsontag View Post
So i am in a mac only house and dont have any access to a PC. I am able to add music to my BB with BB Media Sync but i added all my contacts when i switched my phones and added my calender by hand. I am wondering what software i can use to sync my mac and BB that WORKS? i have Pocketmac but it does not work at all.

Also, can you install a beta OS from a mac or is it PC only?

Thanks for the help guys
I had the same problem trying to sync up my contacts, calender, memos, etc. using Pocket Mac and Entourage where I saved everything from my previous BB 8830. Just wouldn't communicate with my Storm. I talked to Verizon tech support and they couldn't help me so then transferred me to BB support this took a while especially waiting for them to become available. Anyway turns out that they have a new driver update for "Pocket Mac" ,and possibly even a updated version of Pocket Mac. He also ran me through files to delete from my Mac relating to my old version of pocket mac.

After all was said and done it finally linked up and all my files were transferred to my new Storm.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
CMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.141
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Thanks CMatthews, that is helpful information. I have used Parallels on my last attempt and it failed miserably.

Glad I could help, Parallels and Blackberry Desktop don't play nice together at all.
I don't know about the Media Sync, I haven't tested the it using VMWare, but backing up, restoring backups, and syncing also all work great in VMWare also.
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
gsontag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SLC
Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 68
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by user242 View Post
I had the same problem trying to sync up my contacts, calender, memos, etc. using Pocket Mac and Entourage where I saved everything from my previous BB 8830. Just wouldn't communicate with my Storm. I talked to Verizon tech support and they couldn't help me so then transferred me to BB support this took a while especially waiting for them to become available. Anyway turns out that they have a new driver update for "Pocket Mac" ,and possibly even a updated version of Pocket Mac. He also ran me through files to delete from my Mac relating to my old version of pocket mac.

After all was said and done it finally linked up and all my files were transferred to my new Storm.
Any chance you remember what files you deleted?!
__________________
G.Sontag
Offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Latino Hasta La Muerte
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denville, NJ.
Model: 7250
OS: 4.1
PIN: G!!!
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 9,022
Post Thanks: 50
Thanked 303 Times in 291 Posts
Default

As a Mac user myself, I find it hateful but necessary to keep a ratty old ThinkPad around just for phone stuff. And to keep an eye on those ba5tards in Redmond. They're up to something, I just KNOW it!

If you want to keep a pure Mac environment, then running VMWare or Bootcamp with Windows is the only way. Like Shaun said, Parallels doesn't work with the Blackberry Desktop Software.
Offline  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: movistar
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Excuse me, but im new at this and i want to install the latest OS for a BB Pear 8100 but im using pocketmac, how can i do the instalation?


Thanks
Offline  
Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
BBFAQ Sysop
 
ricpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Model: 9700
OS: X 10.6
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE
Posts: 3,760
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

harleyd, you cannot install the latest OS for your BB Pearl on Mac OS X. With PocketMac though, you can install some applications.

Then, quoting rambo47:
Quote:
If you want to keep a pure Mac environment, then running VMWare or Bootcamp with Windows is the only way. Like Shaun said, Parallels doesn't work with the Blackberry Desktop Software.
Offline  
Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: movistar
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thanks ricpac, the main reasons for me to install the latest OS in the bb 8100 are:

1) When i try to download BB messenger i get this "Sorry, your device does not meet the systems requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry Messenger for software versions 4.0 and 4.1"

2) My device is a unlocked t-mobile 8100, so the only language i have installed is english and i need spanish as the main language on my device.

and i think the only solution for this two problems is to re-install the latest OS completly, im right? or there is another option to solve this two items?

thanks again
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.