04-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
| | BlackBerry Desktop Manager on Mac: Wishes
Please Login to Remove!
After having a Mac or the last 30days - I'm an at home switcher by night, and I troubleshoot Windows & BB during the day; I've realized I don't plan on switching back to windows 100% full-time at home.
That said I find out Desktop Manager for Mac pales in comparison to our Windows counterparts; and with the increasing sales & popularity for Mac lately, I think RIM can do some improvements and appeal to those of us that either just can't stand the iPhone and in your face marketing that goes with it or find the BlackBerry a better all around solution.
Some key things missing on the BlackBerry for Mac Desktop Manager:
1. Inability to download Official Firmware (or leaked) from RIM/Carrier site.
- we must use the Desktop Manager to find current or upgraded firmware. This is BAD for troubleshooting when the current OS is botched, as I've realized Desktop Manager Mac cannot always connect to the device to re-install a botched FW.
2. Inability to transfer over previously archived backup files from our Windows backup.
- This can be seen both ways (limitation or security issue), but the security view can be limited if you encrypt the Windows backup file (*.ipd). Would be nice if the Mac Desktop Manager had ability to read that file then convert it to *.bbb extension that's native to Mac.
3. Where can I regenerate an Encryption KEY?!
- Yes this can be done directly on the device, but in some BES deployments this regenerating from HH is not as fast nor as successful; eventually sure but not quick enough sometimes. Some of you might say - well what are the chances of Mac on an AD domain. You better take a look around Apple's site because Mac's can be added to more than one Open Directory domain & AD simultaneously; and Entourage in Office:Mac '10 has ability to connect to Exchange (even if not implemented too well). Microsoft will be rolling out Exchange for Mac late this year/early 2011 with PST access & creation so RIM should already be on-top of this.
4. Advertise more that there IS an in-house solution for Mac users!!
Senior help desk administrator (rim_db_admin_sr_helpdesk) Serious Mobile