So i have been toying with video encoding for the 8100 and wanted to write up a tutorial for mac users. I have successfully done it using freeware. The videos play but i have a few playback problems. As this thread grows with new input from all of you i will edit this post with updates. This is the method i have used and the videos play fine, but the catch is the phone freezes while its playing. If anyone know why that is it would be very helpful to know a fix.
This method will convert existing files you have on on your computer (.mov .mp4 .avi .dv .mpg .vob .3gp .asf .wmv .flv .m4v). to the proper format for the 8100
1. Download iSquint software (free) from here iSquint - iPod Video Made Easy.
2. Open iSquint and choose advanced from the right side of the window.
3. Change the width to 240 and the height to 180. Change the Bitrate to 400 and framerate to 15. Close the advanced tab
4. Drag your file(s) (isquint suppports batch encoding) into the window
5. Choose where you want to save the file and click "Start"
6. Drag the finished file to the "videos" folder on your 8100's memory card.
Like i said above. The video plays fine but you can't operate the menu or controls. If anyone knows a fix or different encoding method please post it.
You can use Handbrake to convert DVD's into mpegs then convert those using iSquint into something the 8100 can play. I haven't been able to get Handbrake to encode DVD's directly to the 8100 format so if anyone knows how post it here and i will add it to the instructions.