BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default pearl and connection to Mac in Parallels help

Please Login to Remove!

I've been trying to get my 8100 to connect in Parallels for a couple weeks now with essentially no luck. Under build 3150 it would occasionally recognize it when I plugged it in and quickly drop the connection. Installed build 3170 this morning and it's still doing the same thing. When I plug it in it usually picks it up and the 8100s display changes to show "Connected to Desktop" but then drops the connection within a couple seconds and goes back to the regular display. After it drops the connection it still shows the lightning bolt as being plugged in so I'm wondering if OSX is overriding the USB connection to XP somehow or something along those line? If anyone has successfully been able to connect (and stay connected) I'd love your input and help.
Offline  
Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8130
Carrier: The Big V
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did you try to re-install the BB software? I am running parallels with the 4.2(?) manager and sometimes have to plug/unplug the BB a few time before Manager and/or VZAccess see it, but it always picks it up.

If the Mac was hoarding the connection, I am pretty sure you'd get the "Unable to connect, wait 5-10 seconds...." message. With the new builds, I almost never see that message anymore.

You can get the latest manager from the BB site.
Offline  
Old 02-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh01
Did you try to re-install the BB software? I am running parallels with the 4.2(?) manager and sometimes have to plug/unplug the BB a few time before Manager and/or VZAccess see it, but it always picks it up.

If the Mac was hoarding the connection, I am pretty sure you'd get the "Unable to connect, wait 5-10 seconds...." message. With the new builds, I almost never see that message anymore.

You can get the latest manager from the BB site.
Yep I have the latest version of everything. I know it's seeing it initially because the BB's screen changes to the "Connected to Desektop" screen, but only stays that way for a couple seconds and then drops back to it's regular screen. The Desktop Manager says it's still connected but I can't access it or do anything else.
Offline  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8130
Carrier: The Big V
Posts: 40
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

HMMMM.... Strange! Maybe switching to an earlier DM would help. I know in the early version of Parallels I had to use a 3.? DM I think...

Another possibility would be to delete the BB from the Windoze system and let it re-install it when you connect. Maybe something in the system is causing a conflict with the port.

One other thing, although you've probably tried this, would be to manually connect/disconnect the BB throught the USB icon in Parallels. If Parallels keeps the connection, it's most likely on the windoze side. If the MacOS were stealing the post, Parallels wouldn't be able to reconnect the BB and you'd get the "WAIT" message.

Did you try to connect under BootCamp or on a windoze machine? Is it possible you have a bad cable or USB port on the BB?
Offline  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 21
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Go get 3170 Build, and Pocket Mac Sycn Manager. My 8100 Cingular works great threw a USB hub, and sycs no problem...
Offline  
Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSimon
Go get 3170 Build, and Pocket Mac Sycn Manager. My 8100 Cingular works great threw a USB hub, and sycs no problem...
As noted in my original post, I'm already using build 3170 of Parallels and PocketMac has nothing to do with Parallels. It's a pitiful excuse for a syncing solution, I need something that at a very minumum can load apps.
Offline  
Old 02-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh01
HMMMM.... Strange! Maybe switching to an earlier DM would help. I know in the early version of Parallels I had to use a 3.? DM I think...

Another possibility would be to delete the BB from the Windoze system and let it re-install it when you connect. Maybe something in the system is causing a conflict with the port.

One other thing, although you've probably tried this, would be to manually connect/disconnect the BB throught the USB icon in Parallels. If Parallels keeps the connection, it's most likely on the windoze side. If the MacOS were stealing the post, Parallels wouldn't be able to reconnect the BB and you'd get the "WAIT" message.

Did you try to connect under BootCamp or on a windoze machine? Is it possible you have a bad cable or USB port on the BB?
Trying an older version of DM is my next step I guess, was just hoping someone would find something dumb I was doing....but it appears not. Also like you mentioned, I tried allowing Windows to automatically recognize it, manually doing it, etc., etc.

Also, I did connect it to a Boot Camp install of XP on my other laptop and it connected right away (and stayed connected) with no problems. Oh well, looks like it's back to an older version of DM. Thanks for the help.
Offline  
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: Optus
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Have you tried this?

Desktop Manager wont detect 8100 in Parallels?
Offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just installed Parallels .3188 and it's working for me.
also updated the Desktop Manager to 4.2.1 SP1
Offline  
Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8100
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm having the exact same problem as boosting1bar described in their first two thread posts. I am using T-Mobile BlackBerry Pearl 8100 v4.2.0.64, DM 4.2.1.8, Win XP Pro SP2, Parallels 3188, OS X 10.4.9 on an Intel MacBook Pro.

I installed PocketMac for BlackBerry 4.0.17 which did seem to help Parallels recognize the USB device as a RIM Composite Device instead of a storage device, and it now charges the BB in MAC OS X.

I've also tried Desktop Manager versions 3.5a, 3.6.3a, 4.0.1, 4.1.1, and 4.2.0.14. I've even tried the suggestions on other treads like un-mounting/mounting the two library files with a script, and disconnecting/connecting the USB device in Parallels.

I've been playing with this for 3 days, and have read everything I can find on this problem. Until I find a solution I'm going to have to go back to Boot Camp, though I would really prefer running Parallels. So I would be happy to try any suggestions, provide any more details, and report back. If I find a solution elsewhere, I will post it here too.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.