Put away the flamethrowers folks, because I'm not asking the question . . . actually I'm answering it.
Yep, I've found a way to do it. Maybe this process has been covered before, but believe me when I say I've searched and only found "Sorry, gotta have a data plan." I don't, because I don't have a real need for it (though I suspect the prospect of Internet everywhere will win me over someday
) but wanted my calendar, tasks, and contacts, couldn't have a camera phone at work, wanted bluetooth, and couldn't resist the $70 price tag. I really wanted to get some decent ringtones for my 7100g, however.
So here's how it can be done:
1) Perform a selective backup with Desktop Manager, saving only Content Space from your real Blackberry, then disconnect
2) Download/Install the Blackberry JDE
3) Start the MDS Simulator
4) Start the BB Simulator (probably best to choose your specific model)
5) Simulate a USB connection
6) Restore the back up from 1) to the simulated BB
7) Surf to the web site that has your ringtone and save it to the simulated BB
8) Perform a selective backup with Desktop Manager, saving only Content Space from the simulated BB
9) Disconnect/Close the simulated BB
10) Connect your real BB
11) Use Desktop Manager to perform a selected restore of the saved Content Space
12) Go to Profiles>Show Tone and find your new content!
I can't promise this'll work for everyone as I've only tried it with my 7100g, but I can't see a reason it wouldn't work. I suspect it also works as a way to get images onto a BB without a data plan as well. Thanks to HuwSy for walkthrough suggestion!
Well, I hope this helps someone! This is my first post here, this is a great forum - I've really learned a lot already.