BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Workingmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Modify alx file

Please Login to Remove!

What program is used to open and edit alx files?
Offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use text pad its free
Offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kasperapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,946
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can use Notepad or Wordpad
__________________
CrackBerry

Please try a Search
Offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd View Post
You can use Notepad or Wordpad
its actually recommend that you dont use either of these.
Offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
parisot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial
Posts: 122
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
its actually recommend that you dont use either of these.
Why do you say that?
Offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
Why do you say that?

How to Add Vendor Locked Themes - BlackBerryFAQ

read requirements
Offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
parisot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial
Posts: 122
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Confused

Yeah, those directions say open it in a text editor... Notepad and wordpad are text editors. So I don't understand why you say neither...
Offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Perfect Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.114
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 2,467
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
Yeah, those directions say open it in a text editor... Notepad and wordpad are text editors. So I don't understand why you say neither...
Those directions actually say "A decent plain text editor (notepad not recommended)."

Now, as the author I will tell you why: Microsoft uses different encoding in their text editors than pretty much everything else on the market. For example the character used to make a new line from a unix text editor will not always work in notepad, and you'll get one long line for the entire file, with box characters where a new line should occur.

Similarly some scripts will ignore the windows new line character and interpret a file as all one line.

In the case of alx files, I don't think this makes a different at present. But to be on the safe side - because I have personally had experiences where everything looked fine in notepad and crapped out when a program had to interpret it - I've recommended something else.

Textpad is a fantastic editor - the best aside from VIM IMO - and I highly recommend it as it's easy to use, has lots of useful features, and encodes properly (or not, if that's what you want).
__________________
www.petermac.ca - Photo wallpapers only in BlackBerry Internet Browser
www.BBeXtras.com - Photo wallpapers sent to your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Themes
Offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Those directions actually say "A decent plain text editor (notepad not recommended)."

Now, as the author I will tell you why: Microsoft uses different encoding in their text editors than pretty much everything else on the market. For example the character used to make a new line from a unix text editor will not always work in notepad, and you'll get one long line for the entire file, with box characters where a new line should occur.

Similarly some scripts will ignore the windows new line character and interpret a file as all one line.

In the case of alx files, I don't think this makes a different at present. But to be on the safe side - because I have personally had experiences where everything looked fine in notepad and crapped out when a program had to interpret it - I've recommended something else.

Textpad is a fantastic editor - the best aside from VIM IMO - and I highly recommend it as it's easy to use, has lots of useful features, and encodes properly (or not, if that's what you want).
good deal thanks for the clarification. I had issues when I edited with notepad as well.
Offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
parisot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial
Posts: 122
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Those directions actually say "A decent plain text editor (notepad not recommended)."

Now, as the author I will tell you why: Microsoft uses different encoding in their text editors than pretty much everything else on the market. For example the character used to make a new line from a unix text editor will not always work in notepad, and you'll get one long line for the entire file, with box characters where a new line should occur.

Similarly some scripts will ignore the windows new line character and interpret a file as all one line.

In the case of alx files, I don't think this makes a different at present. But to be on the safe side - because I have personally had experiences where everything looked fine in notepad and crapped out when a program had to interpret it - I've recommended something else.

Textpad is a fantastic editor - the best aside from VIM IMO - and I highly recommend it as it's easy to use, has lots of useful features, and encodes properly (or not, if that's what you want).
That is nice to know, thanks for sharing the info.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Workingmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 154
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for all the responses. I was having trouble saving after modifying with NotePad. TextPad worked very well. Thanks.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.