BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   New Members Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/new-members-forum/)
-   -   New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/new-members-forum/243236-new-blackberry-owner-fun-8330-a.html)

JoshB410 01-12-2011 01:50 PM

New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Hey forum.

I'm a Verizon customer, and have been for a few years now. In June of 2010 I bought the Motorola Droid (before the Droid X and Droid 2 came out). I still have it and use it regularly, but came across a used (very good condition) silver Curve 8330! This is my FIRST Blackberry, and I plan on using it for a few weeks and then switching between the two phones for fun.

I love everything I can do with my Droid, but also get a bit annoyed at some of its flaws. I joined the forum to see what you guys do with your Blackberry's that can set them apart from a boring smartphone.

Dubdub 01-12-2011 03:09 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Welcome to BBF.

Well, you need a BB data plan first of all so that you get the max use from the device and I think Verizon will require that to activate it. Not sure how well that will work with the Droid data plans as they are different. And also, it must be a Verizon branded device before they will allow it on their network.

JoshB410 01-12-2011 06:39 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1693272)
Welcome to BBF.

Well, you need a BB data plan first of all so that you get the max use from the device and I think Verizon will require that to activate it. Not sure how well that will work with the Droid data plans as they are different. And also, it must be a Verizon branded device before they will allow it on their network.

Yep, the phone is the silver Verizon version. And I have the $30/mo. unlimited internet package for my Droid, which will work just fine for Blackberry as well.

Dubdub 01-12-2011 06:44 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Sorry, but the Droid data will not work just fine. BBs are different. It is a totally different data package. You need the BB data plan if you want email, BBM, BB browser, app world, etc.

And since you are going to have it on Verizon, when you activate it, they will probably add the BB data plan.

One good thing though is the BB data should work on the Droid, but not the other way around.

From our FAQ:

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

The Droid data would be considered a generic data plan for the BB and really limits what can do: How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

JoshB410 01-12-2011 07:22 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1693307)
Sorry, but the Droid data will not work just fine. BBs are different. It is a totally different data package. You need the BB data plan if you want email, BBM, BB browser, app world, etc.

And since you are going to have it on Verizon, when you activate it, they will probably add the BB data plan.

One good thing though is the BB data should work on the Droid, but not the other way around.

From our FAQ:

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

The Droid data would be considered a generic data plan for the BB and really limits what can do: How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

Um. . .I don't mean to act like a smart ass, but that's not true anymore. And I just got off the phone with Verizon to confirm. I have the unlimited data plan ($29.99/mo) which allows full capability for any of Verizon's smartphones, Droid or Blackberry.

Dubdub 01-12-2011 08:31 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
OK. I have been using BBs for 10+ years and unless Verizon changed their plans in the last few days, that is wrong. Maybe what they told you is that when the BB is connected, they will detect it and change the plan automatically to a BB plan. Both are the same price so maybe that is what the CSR meant to say?

Enjoy your new device. And when email doesn't work or BBM or the Browser, remember to call that CSR back and ask why.

JoshB410 01-12-2011 11:37 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1693329)
OK. I have been using BBs for 10+ years and unless Verizon changed their plans in the last few days, that is wrong. Maybe what they told you is that when the BB is connected, they will detect it and change the plan automatically to a BB plan. Both are the same price so maybe that is what the CSR meant to say?

Enjoy your new device. And when email doesn't work or BBM or the Browser, remember to call that CSR back and ask why.

Go here (the individual plans options page):
VZW Plans

and click on the "Pricing Options" link located under Data

It specifically states:
Feature Phones & 3G Smartphones
(email and web for BlackBerry/Smartphone)

I'll confirm, again, tomorrow afternoon when I activate it.

JoshB410 01-13-2011 11:49 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Posting from my new 8330. . .this thing is mint condition. And I have full internet from my Verizon internet package.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

aiharkness 01-21-2011 02:58 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Welcome to the group!

Heavy Fluid 01-23-2011 08:43 PM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Welcome. Verizon will automatically add the appropriate data package when the phone is activated, if you decide to switch back. This is based on the ESN in their database.

tsac 02-13-2011 10:22 AM

Re: New Blackberry owner (for fun) 8330
 
Welcome to the Forums!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.