From RIM KB23702
(there are pictures in the linked article):
With BlackBerry Device Software 6.0, the following Home Screen network icons for 3G, BlackBerry services, and Wi-Fi® appear as follows:
- The Wi-Fi logo shows signal strength when associated using grey and white arcs.
- BlackBerry dots appear beside 3G when the BlackBerry smartphone is connected to the BlackBerry® Infrastructure over 3G.
- BlackBerry dots appear beside the Wi-Fi icon when the BlackBerry smartphone is not connected to the BlackBerry Infrastructure over 3G and one of the following is true:
- The BlackBerry smartphone is connected to the BlackBerry Infrastructure using Wi-Fi technology, or
- The BlackBerry smartphone is directly connected to the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server using Wi-Fi technology
: When the BlackBerry smartphone is connected to a 2G network, uppercase letters continue to indicate BlackBerry Infrastructure connectivity. The BlackBerry dots are shown beside Wi-Fi whenever the BlackBerry Internet Service or the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is using Wi-Fi technology.