BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Post Thanks: 11
Default Browser search Shortcuts in OS6 ?

Please Login to Remove!

Is this feature gone ?
In OS5, I could type a search, select either google, wikipedia, dictionary.com and press enter. I found that a very helpful thing.

In OS6 the best it gets is a bookmark I can use, but then, I have to load the page first. If there is only a 2G/3G connection, that might take ages.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Mont Blanc
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 0

If you start typing your search in the search/address box of the start page, you will see a drop down box to the right that lets you have the same options you had before. Gotta love this OS!!

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Browser search Shortcuts in OS6 ?

mhm,
does not work for me:
I type something, like "the" and, I get a listing of the browser history, but, no drop box on the right.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
akg

That's weird. This is on the "Start Page" that can be accessed by selecting "Go to..." on the menu, right?

You should get three items when you type something:
  • Search box (which has the search engine selectable on the right)
  • An arrow that will take you to whatever address you typed in the bar
  • Bookmarks and browser history that contain what you typed in the bar

It's actually pretty ingenious. A great design that minimizes the different places you used to have to go to look for websites.

Can you at least set the default search provider in browser options? I think the same options are available that were there in OS 5. I tried changing different options and could not find one that would disable the option to choose a search provider. When I change the default to something else (Wikipedia for example) it still gives me the same box when I'm searching.

Are you definitely running 6.0.0.344? It's obvious, but did you try a battery pull?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, strange,
On the start page, I can type something, on the right of the field where I can input a search team is a symbol for the tabs.
Below the inputline are my bookmarks.

But, in the browser options, I have no no choice to select a search provider. I have done a battery pull multiple times now for various reasons.

Maybe, this is, because BIS ist not working, because my provider has no current BIS service book ? BES works ok, and, since I have now redirected all URLS to the BES service the browser is able to connect to the network.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
akg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
Yes, strange,
On the start page, I can type something, on the right of the field where I can input a search team is a symbol for the tabs.
Below the inputline are my bookmarks.

But, in the browser options, I have no no choice to select a search provider. I have done a battery pull multiple times now for various reasons.

Maybe, this is, because BIS ist not working, because my provider has no current BIS service book ? BES works ok, and, since I have now redirected all URLS to the BES service the browser is able to connect to the network.
That may be. I didn't have any issues with the browser and it worked right away. I did see many posts on restoring the OS 5 service books and how to get everything fully functional...maybe you need to do one of those things if your browser isn't working 100%.

Once you get it worked out, at least you'll know that you can have the same capability as you did before! I love this freakin' browser! It's almost as fast as sitting at the computer. It makes me actually want to use the phone browser.

Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.