BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How does BIS Poll for Email (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=126026)

LunkHead 05-23-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 901053)
BIS checks the account when it is set up.
BIS doesnt find email.
BIS checks back in 15 minutes.
BIS finds email.
BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS finds email.
BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS doesnt find mail.
BIS checks back for mail in 15 minutes.
and so on and so forth.

rinse and repeat.

this is not for gmail/yahoo/carrier.blackberry.net account
With these accounts there should be little to no delay from receiving the email to the notification on your device. the BIS checks continously on gmail and yahoo, and since there is no mailbox for the carrier.blackberry.net account (the device is the mailbox) it is instant.

Permission to use this in an FAQ sir???

Kris

Sith_Apprentice 05-23-2008 09:00 PM

yep that is fine

LunkHead 05-23-2008 09:08 PM

Thank you sir.... You rock

Kris

wibbly 11-11-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 901677)
and you would have had horrible battery life, but you go with that

and some email services will choke (thinking they're getting a DOS attack) if they're consistently polled too frequently, in which case you'll have to wait a LOT longer than 15 mins to get any mail at all :-|

The Crunch 06-08-2009 01:19 AM

HAHAHA 5 mins. No, it doesn't take HALF a minute. I got bored yesterday Both of Berry's receive any email from Windows Liveinstantaneously. My girlfriend just emailed from her yahoo account. Before I could check why it beeped at me, she appeared...

PALM devices may do the 5-min thing. Windows Mobile <puke> and the it's probably 5 hours with that POS from Apple with that funny name...;)

phantomtech 07-25-2009 09:50 AM

I understand the BIS polling times, however I seem to have a BIS polling issue. During the night, I seem to receive no emails to my BB. The BB is powered on, I have signal just as it is during the day.

When I wake up in the morning, I will start to check the weather, facebook, etc... Then I will get my mail. This morning I received no emails during the night, and then received 67 emails once I started my morning browsing. Any ideas?

MidnightDraven 07-25-2009 12:57 PM

nope. i get my emails at night with it sitting there in standby mode with signal.

wimalaw 03-15-2011 08:08 PM

Re: How does BIS Poll for Email

Does BIS only retrieve new/unread messages from the mailbox when it polls? or does it retrieve all messages and then the BIS server determines which ones are new and push them to the BB device?
When it retrieve the mailbox, does it retrieve the full message including attachments?
thanks for t

rambo47 03-15-2011 11:11 PM

It only retrieves the new messages. And when it does so, it gets the first 2kb of the message, waiting to retrieve the rest of the message when you open it.

wimalaw 03-16-2011 12:12 AM

Thanks Rambo47, we experience severe choking on our mail server from BB users. Do you know of practical method to control so that only authorized users can pull email from BB? BES would be too expensive and most of our users subscribe to BIS services only. thanks,