BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Z10 Series Discussion - BlackBerry 10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   BB10 in January? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=260436)

Dubdub 07-09-2012 06:43 PM

BB10 in January?

CEO Heins Wants To Restore “Faith” In RIM, Hints At First BlackBerry 10 Phone In January.

And RIM’s post-earnings PR offensive continues. This time, RIM CEO Thorsten Heins sat down with the folks at CIO for an in-depth interview about himself and the company's future, and as you may expect he had a few juicy tidbits to reveal.

The most notable of those little revelations has to do with the company's forthcoming BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Last month RIM infamously delayed the launch of their first BB10 devices until "Q1 2013" and left it at that. Interestingly, Mr. Heins seems to have put a finer point on that launch window.

For the rest of the article, go here:

CEO Heins Wants To Restore xxx8220;Faithxxx8221; In RIM, Hints At First BlackBerry 10 Phone In January | TechCrunch

fourstringfuror 07-09-2012 07:35 PM

Re: BB10 in January?

So, early summer? :)

NJBlackBerry 07-09-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstringfuror (Post 1782262)
So, early summer? :)

Or just in time for the iPhone 6 :(

jsconyers 07-10-2012 07:26 AM

As much as it sucks (for their investors and the dozens of people waiting) that they're delaying their saving device, BlackBerry 10, it is in their best interest to get it right, rather than delivering it when promised when it isn't ready. Imagine all of the bad press if they would release it with a lot of bugs.

Knowing how RIM has handled things lately, they will delay the device and it will still release with a ton of bugs or receive bad press that it wasn't worth the wait, etc. I hope that's not the case, but it seems it is easier to attack RIM than praise them as of late.

stevetaz 07-10-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1782297)
.......(for their investors and the dozens of people waiting)......

LOL 8-)

NJBlackBerry 07-10-2012 09:51 AM

They have one chance to get this right. Releasing it filled with bugs (ahem, Playbook) would be another nail in the coffin. They HAVE to get it right and time is not on their side.

Dougsg38p 07-10-2012 10:36 AM

No matter how "right" they get it, it's still wrong if you have 3rd-party apps on your phone.

Many Java developers have bailed on the platform since there is no backward compatibility for Java apps that run on 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0.

Strangely, RIM *has* provided an emulation environment to run Android java apps.

ZombieBerry 07-10-2012 11:13 AM

While the devices may be ready for January, let's not forget about the 6-8 weeks of carrier testing before they get into those ahem...dozens of hands.

NJBlackBerry 07-10-2012 11:25 AM

And (seriously) I am still unclear how the BB 10 devices will connect (securely, OF COURSE) to Corporate e-mail systems (including Notes and Groupware). Is it through Mobile Fusion? ActiveSync? BES?

fourstringfuror 07-10-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1782297)
As much as it sucks (for their investors and the dozens of people waiting) that they're delaying their saving device, BlackBerry 10, it is in their best interest to get it right, rather than delivering it when promised when it isn't ready. Imagine all of the bad press if they would release it with a lot of bugs.

Knowing how RIM has handled things lately, they will delay the device and it will still release with a ton of bugs or receive bad press that it wasn't worth the wait, etc. I hope that's not the case, but it seems it is easier to attack RIM than praise them as of late.

I'm willing to wait. I want it done right, not done quickly.

NJBlackBerry 07-10-2012 12:14 PM

"Do it right, not do it right now" is a frequently used (expletives added) sentence from a Sr. VP here. Upon being shown a schedule, he says "you can do it faster"...

jsconyers 07-10-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstringfuror (Post 1782326)
I'm willing to wait. I want it done right, not done quickly.

I agree with you, I hope the do get it right, however, how many are in the same boat as you and are willing to wait?

fourstringfuror 07-10-2012 12:50 PM

When you consider the Middle East/Asia markets, I would say many millions.

NJBlackBerry 07-10-2012 01:12 PM

All depends on the pricing. RIMs sweet spot (very small) is in emerging countries where BBM is cheaper than texting.

If the BB10 devices are priced as premium devices, they will not sell well in developing economies...

jsconyers 07-10-2012 01:12 PM

From what I've seen, most of people those markets have lower end devices, so I wouldn't really classify them as waiting for BB10 devices to be released.

IMO, RIM is moving away from their bread and butter with Mobile Fusion. They're moving away from their infrastructure, moving devices to ActiveSync, and making new handsets. That is a crowded market. How many other manufacturers are making ActiveSync enabled handsets? RIM is a little late to that game. There are also quite a few MDM solutions in the market already, RIM is late to that game as well. These are the things hurting RIM the most. If RIM could somehow get the new BB10 devices to work on their existing BES infrastructure, it would help them out in the enterprise a lot. I don't see a lot of companies shelling out more money, for more servers to a company they've already invested a lot of money into, since that company wants to go another direction. RIM needs to realize this. That is why we are moving away from BlackBerry and looking into other devices/MDM solutions. RIM is pretty much screwing their long time loyal customers.

NJBlackBerry 07-10-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1782335)
RIM is pretty much screwing their long time loyal customers.

Exactly my sentiments. Not every customer is going to move lock step to Mobile Fusion, particularly if they have an investment in Mobile Iron, Boxtone, Airwatch or one of the other established MDMs. And what happens to the vaunted "security" angle if ActiveSync is in the loop. And (this I don't know), does ActiveSync support Lotus Notes and Groupwise (like BES does)...

jsconyers 07-10-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1782336)
does ActiveSync support Lotus Notes and Groupware (like BES does)...

I don't know about Lotus Notes, but Novell has an ActiveSync type server, called Novell DataSync that works with ActiveSync enabled devices. It uses the same ActiveSync protocols. This allows these devices to work with GroupWise.

Having said that, Mobile Fusion currently does not support GroupWise. I know there are not a lot of GroupWise shops out there, but we are one, so we pretty much don't have much of a choice at this point than to look somewhere other than BlackBerry.

knottyrope 07-10-2012 02:40 PM

Lotus Notes does have an active sync option, IBM bought the license a few years ago

NJBlackBerry 07-10-2012 04:18 PM

Lotus Notes Traveler...
All of our IBM contractors in the office had to switch from BBs to iPhones. ALL OF THEM.

knottyrope 07-11-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1782360)
Lotus Notes Traveler...
All of our IBM contractors in the office had to switch from BBs to iPhones. ALL OF THEM.

Funny that you still promote port3101.org if you think ALL OF THEM needed iphone

thanks for the Traveler info
IBM - Lotus Notes Traveler - Software