BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How to manage handheld OS updates (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=233671)

dhmilton 08-17-2010 04:45 AM

How to manage handheld OS updates

I am trying to work out what is the best way to try and keep the software versions on all of the handhelds in our organisation the same.
Thanksfully nearly everyone has the same 8520 handset, so it's not too complex, but I'm not having much luck.

I am migrating users from Professional server to BESX and thought I would enable enterprise updates but I can't seem to get any of the update methods to work.

First attempt:
I have downloaded the latest 5.0 version of the software from the vodafone IE site, installed it on the BES, shared out the RIM folder, and set the relevant path in the BAS. I know have the relevant bundles showing as available for wired updates when I go into the 'Manage Blackberry Device Software BUndles' context. I then created a Software configuration which I added the 8520 bundle to, and a group which I assigned the 8520 software configuration to. I then added a user to this group, but when he went into Blackberry Desktop, it showed that there is a 5.0 update available, and then told him he wasn't allowed to use it.

Second Attempt:
I have tried to see how you are meant to see Device updates in the Web Desktop Manager, but even thought I'm pretty sure I have followed all of the steps, am not seeign anywhere where I can do device updates.

Current situation:
I now have a situation where the BESX server won't update the handlends, and it won't let me turn the enterprise update feature off, so they can't be updated manually either. When I go back to where I turned on the enterprise updates, it isn'[t showing me a drop down and won't let me switch the yes to a no.

Any ideas?

Am I going to have to rebuild my BES just so users can update their software?

iPhones are looking extremely tempting right now....

David. :cry:

BB_Paws 08-21-2010 11:37 PM

The option in the BAS component is grayed out if you still have a software configuration containing a device software bundle. If the software configuration is assigned to users/groups, you won't be able to delete it until you remove the user/group assignment.

In the IT policy, go to the Desktop Only tab and set the Force Load Count IT policy rule to 0. Have the user connect to Desktop Manager again and see if this forces the update on the device. This rule doesn't apply to Web Desktop Manager 5.0.x.

Just to verify, you did create a device software configuration that contains the device software bundles and then associated this to a software configuration right?

knottyrope 08-26-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

iPhones are looking extremely tempting right now....
(n)

you want to manually upgrade all of those iPhones? imagine a user with 30 gig of music that you are responsible for backing up and restoring since you can knot remove the storage manually like you can with a MicroSD card.

Good luck with iPhone hell.

CanuckBB 08-27-2010 09:42 AM

To my understanding, OTA OS updates are still carrier controlled. Are you sure Vodaphone supports it?