BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Slacker Radio for BB (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=150048)

at.rex 09-14-2008 11:28 AM

Slacker Radio for BB

I found this information on PCWorld's web site. I don't know if this has been posted before but I thought I would share it.

"Slacker has signed a partnership with Research in Motion to offer a personal radio application free of charge to all BlackBerry phones running OS 4.3 or later. The app will let users link up live to any Slacker station, any time. The only restriction is that you can only skip tracks six times per hour. And fear not: The service will stay ad-free until at least next year, RIM says."

Kamau 09-14-2008 12:43 PM

Sounds interesting. Wouldn't happen to have a link to go to so we can read about it would you?

at.rex 09-14-2008 01:11 PM

Slacker Radio for BB

Kamau-

I tried to post the link but BBForums won't let me because I have under ten posts. Maybe you could go to PCWorld's web site and search for it. Or, just search for Slacker-Blackberry-Radio.

French 09-14-2008 03:20 PM

Here is the link:

Today @ PC World BlackBerry Tunes In Free Slacker Music App

Interesting...

Kamau 09-14-2008 05:51 PM

Thanks.
Looks like it won't be available until October.
Nice find. Might look into it.

rickdubose 12-26-2008 01:08 PM

Update?

Does anyone have an update on when teh Slacker app will be available? I cannot locate it anywhere. :x:-(

341EastOf 12-26-2008 01:21 PM

Wirelessly posted

I would like to give it a try too.

redbutt 01-08-2009 01:35 AM

Go to mobile.slacker.com from your phone...looks like it's been updated.

breakerfall 01-08-2009 09:33 AM

Yup, released today. Just go to slacker dot com from your BB. They say Storm is not supported, btw, and the site wont let you download the app...

I managed to get it installed on mine and it works great so far... here's my slacker forum post:
Official Slacker Forums • Lack of Storm support is....

JDWallace 01-08-2009 09:54 AM

This was the last part I thought was interesting:

"Slacker provides about a hundred pre-programmed station options in addition to 10,000 artist-specific channels. Like the browser-based application, the BlackBerry app will let users program their own customized mixes. If you want to pay an optional $10 a month fee for the premium service, you get what might be the most appealing option: The ability to download songs and store them on your BlackBerry, letting you listen even when you're in a no-coverage zone."

So if you get to download it to your BB, will it let you move it to your computer? I use Amazon to download music (legally) and I can transfer those songs anywhere. Just wondering if you pay that $10 if you can transfer those songs. If so, that's a good deal if you download a lot of songs every month.

mrchun 01-08-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakerfall (Post 1238781)
Yup, released today. Just go to slacker dot com from your BB. They say Storm is not supported, btw, and the site wont let you download the app...

I managed to get it installed on mine and it works great so far... here's my slacker forum post:
Official Slacker Forums • Lack of Storm support is....

How did you get it installed? I can't seem to get around that "Storm not supported" screen. I tried using Opera also but that didn't get me anywhere either.

breakerfall 01-08-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDWallace (Post 1238801)
This was the last part I thought was interesting:
So if you get to download it to your BB, will it let you move it to your computer? I use Amazon to download music (legally) and I can transfer those songs anywhere. Just wondering if you pay that $10 if you can transfer those songs. If so, that's a good deal if you download a lot of songs every month.

If it's anything like the Slacker hardware players, you cannot listen to the music that you "pay" for without the Slacker player...

You are able to cache up to 5 stations on your SD card (tho i havent tried that yet) with the free service... with the idea that those will play in areas with no coverage (or probably less battery impact than streaming)...

redbutt 01-08-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakerfall (Post 1238818)
If it's anything like the Slacker hardware players, you cannot listen to the music that you "pay" for without the Slacker player...

You are able to cache up to 5 stations on your SD card (tho i havent tried that yet) with the free service... with the idea that those will play in areas with no coverage (or probably less battery impact than streaming)...

Saving songs for on-demand playback like the G2 players is not supported in the app. Also, you can cache more than 5 stations. The number of stations is dependent on the size of your SD card and available space.

uofmrapper 01-08-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakerfall (Post 1238781)

I managed to get it installed on mine and it works great so far...

I replied to your post on the Slacker board too - but I gotta know how you got around this? I've been waiting for this app since they announced it!

uofmrapper 01-08-2009 11:30 AM

From ponderous over at crackberry forums...for all the Storm users go here from your browser:

h t t p://w w w.slacker.com/dwls/bb/slacker_mobile.jad

(due to lack of # of posts, can't post links so remove spaces)

Disable compatibility mode and it works great!

Mandizzle 01-08-2009 12:01 PM

Go to Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations on your BB browser and it will give you a download link.

bradster80 01-08-2009 04:12 PM

Anyone having problems getting logged in? I am getting an error that it is unable to connect to the server.

bakerfall 01-08-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradster80 (Post 1239338)
Anyone having problems getting logged in? I am getting an error that it is unable to connect to the server.

I'm pretty sure there is some problem with Slacker and users on BES. There is a thread on their forums about it, but the Slacker people are pushing it off as an issue with BES security (which is total bull as I'm our BES admin and we have no policies blocking it and everything else works fine). Hopefully they identify the issue and fix it.

hokie123 01-08-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerfall (Post 1239379)
I'm pretty sure there is some problem with Slacker and users on BES. There is a thread on their forums about it, but the Slacker people are pushing it off as an issue with BES security (which is total bull as I'm our BES admin and we have no policies blocking it and everything else works fine). Hopefully they identify the issue and fix it.

No problem for me with Slacker and BES. The only gotcha was getting the cache mode to work since my company encrypts data written to my media card.

To update cached stations, Slacker downloads two files to your media card - slacker.synclauncher.exe and autorun.inf

In order to get these to run properly I had to transfer the files using the OLD mediamanager program (original Blackberry version back with Desktop 4.2SP1, not the Roxio version) to my computer, rename them, then transfer them back using Mass Storage Mode.

Now when I attach via Mass Storage Mode, one of the options when the card is recognized is to "Sync Slacker Stations".

Unfortunately I'll have to go through this process anytime I change or add a station I want to cache, but once stations are all set, this looks like I can sync up just fine!

doabbs 01-08-2009 08:42 PM

It looks like the slacker app uses the internal connection. In our case we don't have MDS enabled since we have no need for it. Slacker needs to be updated so that it uses the carrier network instead. This is similar to the issues that people used to have with Google maps, or if you try installing the wrong version of Viigo for example.