BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   My BlackBerry Seems Slow (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=54330)

Mandizzle 11-14-2006 12:35 AM

My BlackBerry Seems Slow

I've noticed lately that it has become quite slow when i'm typing out emails or sms messages. Its as if there is a lag delay when i type words out. Even the navigation through some menus seems quite a bit slower than when i first bought my BB.

Anybody else encountering this type of a problem?

Any suggestions on how I should fix this?

Thanks

NJBlackBerry 11-14-2006 12:41 AM

How much free memory does your BB have left (Options / Status).
Try popping the battery out and then back in.

Mandizzle 11-14-2006 12:49 AM

Free memory = 16mb

Maybe that is the problem. What can I do to clear some of this memory. I've just had the phone for a little over a week so its still running pretty much stock. Haven't added anything.

A few pictures, about two dozen contacts, and texts messages from the past week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

sanjeevjoshi 11-14-2006 09:25 AM

not probably a memory problem

16 MB is more than adequate memory. I am assuming you have tried resetting the phone (pull battery out), and deleting ALL third party applications (ie.. those that did not come installed). If both are done, I would switch the theme - some themes are slow or buggy (eg. Phantom, Dimension Today, etc, and cause issues. Try reverting back to a basic icon type theme. If all fails, you may have corrupt SW, and may need to reload your OS.

Mandizzle 11-14-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjeevjoshi
16 MB is more than adequate memory. I am assuming you have tried resetting the phone (pull battery out), and deleting ALL third party applications (ie.. those that did not come installed). If both are done, I would switch the theme - some themes are slow or buggy (eg. Phantom, Dimension Today, etc, and cause issues. Try reverting back to a basic icon type theme. If all fails, you may have corrupt SW, and may need to reload your OS.

Surprisingly enough I woke up today and it was running at normal speed again. Really random.. glad its normal though!

But yes I had reset the phone and there wasn't any 3rd party software so not really sure what could have caused the problem. I've been using Dimension Today theme since day one and only in the past couple of days has it been slowing down.

Hopefully it stays at this normal speed. Otherwise i'll have to look into reloading the OS.

Thanks

Mandizzle 11-14-2006 10:59 AM

Was just reading around some other forums and somebody suggested that clearing the event logs is a good option for speeding up the Pearl.

Press ALT +LGLG and clear logs...

MotoUp 11-14-2006 01:34 PM

I have a question somewhat related to this...

Although my BB isn't running slow, it is very new, only 1 downloaded game, one downloaded theme, and a few pictures, plus email, and I only have 4 MB of memory left. I am however on a BES, does that take up a lot of memory?

I have gone in and delete applications and languages, etc that I don't need or use.

Thanks. :)

bfrye 11-14-2006 01:44 PM

4mb on a pearl with that little loaded seems like a lot. Have you installed everything with the OS such as extra languages and suretype wordlists?

MotoUp 11-14-2006 01:57 PM

I'm actually using an 8703e. And no, I took extra languages off.

rjpaulsen 11-15-2006 11:08 AM

I had the same problem. Turned out messanger was running in the background and was apparently going crazy. Disable all the messangers from starting automatically and see if that helps.

mtndewelf 12-18-2006 11:46 PM

My 7250 started running very slow this past week. I tried going back to the the default theme and it is back to normal (I had been running Smoothie Theme for a couple of months without any issues). Thanks for the tip!

b3n_asian_freak 12-19-2006 12:06 AM

My Pearl doesn't run really slow how some of you describe. But when I moved to a new theme that I use the .alx file from the forum, my Pearl starts to run slow. I like the 'Phantom' theme from Blackberry HELP! but my Pearl is just too slow when I have that theme on. Anyone has that problem before?