BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   IT Admin : How to force the phone to ring (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=106179)

biroot 11-23-2007 05:26 AM

IT Admin : How to force the phone to ring

Hey there,

i was wondering if there were a way to force the blackberry device to ring on an incoming call, 'cause i have a colleague that always puts his phone on mute, and so i can't reach him when i need him ; so i was wondering if with BES 3.6 sp3 that would be possible using IT policy, choosing a ringtone for him and force it to ring, no matter what he selected on his device.

Thank you all

x14 11-23-2007 07:26 AM

Not as far as I am away.

DarkWater 11-23-2007 08:06 AM

Never heard of such functionality either.

CanuckBB 11-23-2007 08:08 AM

No. And that is the perfect example of the idiocy of trying to use technology to solve a behaviour problem. What if the person is in a situation where a phone rigning would be an embarassment? If you had that much control, the user would simply turn off the phone.

You have an issue with a user, talk to him.

Frank Castle 11-23-2007 11:10 AM

There has been a over reaction on here lately regarding device control. People are starting to blur the line between security and what is functional. If you go crazy and lock down every possible thing the device IMO becomes useless and you'll see users just stop using it.

There is a balance.

John Clark 11-23-2007 11:33 AM

Getting back on topic....

I did see a 3rd party app not too long ago that would do just this. It would allow you to send a message to the device that would make it "ring" even if it was on vibrate or quiet. It was mostly for finding it when you set it down and can't remember where you put it. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but it came to mind when I read this thread.

biroot 11-29-2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckBB (Post 749254)
No. And that is the perfect example of the idiocy of trying to use technology to solve a behaviour problem. What if the person is in a situation where a phone rigning would be an embarassment? If you had that much control, the user would simply turn off the phone.

You have an issue with a user, talk to him.

First, i was'nt asking for your mind, i really don't care what you may think. But for the info, he's a good friend of mine, and i told him many time it was bothering all of us ; plus, willing to know if this is possible doesn't mean i'll apply it ; you maybe know how to use a gun, i assume if you do you don't spend your time shooting people. And as you say, i have no interessest in bothering him so much that he will turn off his phone, so keep cool, if you have something to propose you're welcome, if not, you know what to do.

Back to the main subject, John Clark the software you speak about may do the job, without harming the privacy of my colleague, 'cause that forced ring would be used only in emergency cases ; do you remember how this app was called?

my appologies for not so good english!
cheers

merlin 11-30-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biroot (Post 749214)
choosing a ringtone for him and force it to ring, no matter what he selected on his device.

Hi. Depending on what version of the handheld software your using, you can do something like that, but it is setup on the device, not by IT Policy

In the profile settings, where it lists the profiles, on later versions of the OS (Ive seen it on a 8800 and 8300) there is a line that says "Use Active Profile Except For.

In there you can put in a list of exceptions and tell it what profile and ringtone to use if the listed people phone.

I have this set for two people and it doesn't matter what profile the phone is set two, if either of these two people ring it always plays the ringtone I selected.

Hope that helps
M

Aroc 11-30-2007 07:06 PM

You'd never be able to account for a battery pull. We have a user like that too.