BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How to read/write Chinese on Pearl aka 8100? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=48942)

undemi 09-30-2006 09:22 AM

How to read/write Chinese on Pearl aka 8100?

Hi,

Does anybody know how to read and write in Chinese on a BB 8100? Will the older version of OS/DM software work on 8100?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

undemi

undemi 09-30-2006 11:45 AM

It seems that there is still no multi-lingual version of DM 4.2 just yet. So is it okay to run version 4.1 on Pearl instead? Any gotcha's? I would hope to have the support of Chinese, Japanese, French and German. Thanks!

undemi

zenxacred 09-30-2006 04:02 PM

i think korean german and french work on the new update.

undemi 09-30-2006 06:57 PM

zenxacred,

thanks for your reply. however i got the new update from t-mobile website and could not find any languages other than US/UK English...

did i miss anything? I probably would give OS 4.1 a try later on...

undemi

undemi 09-30-2006 08:16 PM

haha, i guess you meant this update from RIM directly

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.0.61 (Multilanguage) for 8100

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

I will try it now

KevinW 09-30-2006 08:21 PM

same question.
and the link you gave above doesn't work.

undemi 09-30-2006 08:37 PM

Ok, sorry, i posted a url after I signed in and part of it was chopped off, go to

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...C068A355BBA31A

instead......let me know if it works for you, since i just downloaded the software and still have not tried it yet

undemi 09-30-2006 08:57 PM

so ein pech :-(

the new update only includes languages and input support of the following:

UK English
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Portugese (Brazilian)
Catalan
Dutch
Turkish

Input Support:

Portugese
Danish
Swedish
Afrikaans
Greek

Also supported are:

Semitic characters and fonts (normally includes Arabic, Hebrew, etc; not too sure though)
Korean characters and fonts

So I am only partially satisfied.......don't know how they picked up the list, really surprised to see Catalan support there, no offense, only because not too many people are using it anyway

Anybody having or knowing where to get the chinese.alx and japanese.alx?? (I never tried them before but would really like to have them!)

undemi

KevinW 09-30-2006 09:37 PM

Well, nothing useful for me, guess I will keep waiting...

undemi 10-01-2006 03:45 PM

I tried to add the chinese.alx which comes with the StarHub BB7200 OS...it appeared that it was loading the Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts and characters into the BB, (together around 1MB), however at the end, it DID NOT WORK, language list stayed the same (english, french, german)

:-(

undemi

undemi 10-01-2006 11:22 PM

I actually CAN read chinese now!!

At least I can read emails and websites in chinese now! Hooray!

Just need to figure out how to do the input though, since my (Language list/input option list) still does not show chinese. And I don't see any Localization menu, yucks!

Kevin, you must want to give it a try as well rather than waiting :-) I will try to find the japanese.alx and add it..... i guess this is an endless game :-)

undemi

jaylasad 10-07-2006 06:18 PM

Where can i find these language packages? Will Roger wireless download upgrade work on my t-mobile 8100?

Lex Luthor 10-07-2006 07:24 PM

The language packs are built into the OS. It your choice if you want to install them or not. The Rogers OS will work with your T Mobile 8100. You'll have to delete the vendor.xml file though.

KevinW 10-07-2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undemi
At least I can read emails and websites in chinese now! Hooray!

Just need to figure out how to do the input though, since my (Language list/input option list) still does not show chinese. And I don't see any Localization menu, yucks!

Kevin, you must want to give it a try as well rather than waiting :-) I will try to find the japanese.alx and add it..... i guess this is an endless game :-)

undemi

How did you make the Chinese display work? I just want sim-chinese. I do not need input chinese.
Is there any screenshot?(y)

jaylasad 10-08-2006 04:52 AM

"The language packs are built into the OS. It your choice if you want to install them or not. The Rogers OS will work with your T Mobile 8100. You'll have to delete the vendor.xml file though."

I am sorry but i am new at this, can you please guide me on how to delete this xml file from. I downloaded the roger install but it is one big binary.

thanks for the help.

jaylasad 10-08-2006 05:08 AM

I dowloaded the roger wireless update and installed it on my PC, and at the end, all it says that installation finished but it didnt push anything to my blackberry so i am not sure whether i need to initiate the update from manually, but it didn't seem to have installed the OS on the 8100. I checked the status on the 8100 and it still shows the initial version from T-Mobile.

zenxacred 10-08-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylasad
I dowloaded the roger wireless update and installed it on my PC, and at the end, all it says that installation finished but it didnt push anything to my blackberry so i am not sure whether i need to initiate the update from manually, but it didn't seem to have installed the OS on the 8100. I checked the status on the 8100 and it still shows the initial version from T-Mobile.

PLUG. IN. YOUR. BLACKBERRY. TO. THE. COMP.

pinchao 10-08-2006 11:08 AM

I've found a way to make Chinese display work. You just need to download these two files and load it with AppLoader. Pearl reboots after the update and comes back in 5 minutes.

(Edit: Can't post links yet. Just remove the "REMOVEME" part in the URLs.)

1. net_rim_font_chinese.alx
wREMOVEMEww.hipalm.com/attachment.php?aid=16527

2. net_rim_font_chinese.cod
wREMOVEMEww.hipalm.com/attachment.php?aid=16526

Enjoy! :-)

Pinchao

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinW
How did you make the Chinese display work? I just want sim-chinese. I do not need input chinese.
Is there any screenshot?(y)

jaylasad 10-08-2006 03:29 PM

THX FOR YOUR HELPFUL TIP!!!!

needed to remove the vendor.xml and then it would do the update.

KevinW 10-08-2006 03:47 PM

Got it, works great! Thank you very much.