BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   O2 plan no mms shocked! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=253965)

AverageWhiteBloke 09-30-2011 01:23 PM

O2 plan no mms shocked!

Just realised that my BB plan on 02 doesn't include mms, proper shocked that this wasn't included. I'm on a pretty high plan IMO £35.00 pm with 750mb of data,1000 mins and unlimited text. You would have thought mms was pretty much par for the course on that plan but I just got billed 34p for 2 mms. Just goes to show you should check your plan thoroughly before signing up!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

NJBlackBerry 09-30-2011 01:42 PM

Re: O2 plan no mms shocked!

And you need a specific BlackBerry plan from your carrier for MMS to work.

AverageWhiteBloke 09-30-2011 02:02 PM

That seems like just a sly way of creeping a few more quid out of ya, a phone call to 02 is needed I think to see what plans do include mms, everything else I have I never reach my limit.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

dc/dc 09-30-2011 07:18 PM

The £10 1GB data bolt-on includes 50 MMS.

rambo47 09-30-2011 10:10 PM

BlackBerrys have always required a specific BlackBerry data plan or bolt-on. They're an entirely unique category of smartphones.

dc/dc 10-01-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1747551)
BlackBerrys have always required a specific BlackBerry data plan or bolt-on. They're an entirely unique category of smartphones.

Not on O2. O2 allows all of their data bolt-ons to access BIS. A lot of other carriers are also going to this model.

rambo47 10-01-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1747618)
Not on O2. O2 allows all of their data bolt-ons to access BIS. A lot of other carriers are also going to this model.

I didn't think they could even do that! I guess the carrier is getting the BIS plan and just passing it through their own data service to the end customer. I wonder if it's profitable for them. I suppose if others are moving to this model of service it must be. Hmm...

dc/dc 10-01-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1747644)
I didn't think they could even do that! I guess the carrier is getting the BIS plan and just passing it through their own data service to the end customer. I wonder if it's profitable for them. I suppose if others are moving to this model of service it must be. Hmm...

Yeah, that's basically what they're doing. They're making unified smartphone plans, but it doesn't matter if you use Android, iPhone, BIS, MeeGo, etc.

ZombieBerry 10-01-2011 12:19 PM

Rogers in Canada has been doing this for a bit, and Bell started some time last year (after Rogers) not sure but I think Telus was the first CAN carrier to go this route, payg (Pay as you go) customers wanted these features now that they realized they could add certain BIS features with an almost infinite combination of data/minutes

rambo47 10-01-2011 12:42 PM

This is a great thing for BlackBerry. Too many new users are frustrated by the need for a special BlackBerry data plan, which they don't understand, and which they think will cost them a lot more. Mainstreaming the BlackBerry experience will end up being a good thing for RIM.

ZombieBerry 10-01-2011 12:51 PM

Yeah, users can have access to BBM, FB, Twitter and txts and mms for 10/month.

Just as an example. I know my buddy is using an 8330 with Bell, and pays only for BBM and BIS mail 5/month. He has no browser/no app world. Some plans are weird, but get the job done, and it is easier to pay 5-15/month extra for whatever you need, and then if you find you need something else, you can just add it. Service a la carte, as it were. Also great for those that cannot pass a credit check, or whose parents do not want to cosign on a contract.
As with anything 'a la carte', once you reach past two-three services, it becomes more expensive than a monthly BIS plan.