BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Do you miss the thumbwheel? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=92079)

rambo47 08-24-2007 05:58 PM

Do you miss the thumbwheel?

I do. I absolutely love my Curve, it's the best Blackberry I've ever had, and it's working flawlessly with my T-Mobile service. The trackball works fine for me, but it I had my choice I'd replace it with the older thumbwheel. I got used to the thumbwheel on my 7105t and found it ideal for the Blackberry OS. Am I nuts? Have I slipped a cog?? Do I need serious counciling??? Perhaps. But I'd take the old thumbwheel over the rollerball in a second. How about you?

LunkHead 08-24-2007 06:00 PM

You are not nutz.... I got rid of the 8800 and went back to the 8700 just for the track wheel!!!! :)

[off topic]

Woohooo... 5k posts.... Now if I get canned as BBFAQ Mod, I will revert to a BB Genius!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

[/off topic]

Love the track wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

juwaack68 08-24-2007 06:29 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I will not be going back to the trackwheel except under extreme duress! Love the trackball :-)

LunkHead 08-24-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 644359)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I will not be going back to the trackwheel except under extreme duress! Love the trackball :-)

Party pooper! :)

sswyden 08-24-2007 06:42 PM

no "numb-thumb" since moving to the trackball. Sweet relief for this old, slowly-becoming-arthritic dog! Though I admit, I loved the thumbwheel at the time.

LunkHead 08-24-2007 06:47 PM

This poll is fixed! I declare a miss-poll!!!!

chrispopovic 08-24-2007 07:33 PM

I just had this very conversation today with a buddy of mine. He's got an 8700 on T-Mobile. He saw an app I had and wanted me to download it. I grabbed his blackberry to install it for him and a second after I had it in my hand, I thought, I really like my curve. Once you appreciate the BBerry Key and how you use it with the trackball, you completely move past the click wheel. I find I can use either hand just fine.

The only complaint I can come up with is web browsing. I wish there were keys (are there?) for page down and page up. I hate reading a page and then trying to scroll down only to zip all the way to the bottom of the page.

But that's really the only thing I can complain about. Go Curve!

DocGo 08-24-2007 07:35 PM

I did miss the thumbwheel initially when I switched to the 8100. Now, using my 8300 and loving the trackball. Yesterday, a friend of mine with an 8700 asked me to help configure something on her BB (she is a new BB user) and I find my thumb going to the middle button instead of the trackwheel on the side to navigate around :)

vinmontRD 08-24-2007 07:46 PM

After using an 8700 for a while, I missed the wheel when I moved on to a Pearl...for about an hour. Once I got comfortable with it, you would have had a knock-down drag-out fight to get me back to a thumb wheel.

Now that I've been through a Pearl and an 8800, and I'm at home with my Curve (lovely, lovely Curve!), I love the trackball. It's SO easy, scrolls left and right (making short work of a page of icons), and is SO much less wear and tear on my thumb! When I pick up an old BB now and start with the wheel again, I tend to drop it in dismay because it feels so...crude! Just too much effort with a wheel, and too much unnecessary effort, wear and tear on my thumb.

My Curve and I are exceedingly happy with our trackball!

quillhill 08-24-2007 08:16 PM

I used an 8700 for five months then a 7130 for eight months before moving to the Curve when it launched. The first day or so with the Curve I got a little frustrated with the trackball because I didn't grasp its relationship with the BB menu button. Once I got the idea of how that worked, purely by accident, I came to love this partnership. For me, it works better, faster and so on.

Funny thing, I just got my hands on a Dash this week (I am a nerd, two BBs and a Dash), and I keep trying to roll the center button on the D pad. Heh. I'm like, aww, that's not a trackball.

I used a Mogul for little while in June and it had a thumb wheel which I touched twice. Seemed odd on a PPC.

juwaack68 08-24-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispopovic (Post 644410)
The only complaint I can come up with is web browsing. I wish there were keys (are there?) for page down and page up. I hate reading a page and then trying to scroll down only to zip all the way to the bottom of the page.

But that's really the only thing I can complain about. Go Curve!

You can still press the space bar to page down and the CAP+Space to page up. :-)

C. Gomez 08-24-2007 09:12 PM

Heck yes. The thumb-wheel on the right was simply the best way to interact with a phone I've ever used. It was so simple and fast, I really don't care for the trackball. The X/Y movement is a nice thing, but I really just don't like it.

I miss my 8700c.

thaKing 08-24-2007 10:18 PM

have an 8700 and a curve...didn't think i'd like the trackball but i am so used to it and it's simplicity (in my opinion) that i do not like the wheel on my 8700...

sdetweil 08-25-2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaKing (Post 644529)
have an 8700 and a curve...didn't think i'd like the trackball but i am so used to it and it's simplicity (in my opinion) that i do not like the wheel on my 8700...

Only thing I want the thumbwheel for is the volume control.. these buttons are hard to push/find while talking..

other than that, the trackball is great, lots less hand stress to operate

Sam

vinmontRD 08-25-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 644822)
Only thing I want the thumbwheel for is the volume control.. these buttons are hard to push/find while talking..

Sam

Good point. Much as I prefer the trackball for everything else, I'd rather have a wheel for volume -- the buttons ARE a pain.

alslsb 08-25-2007 08:47 AM

I thought I would, but I really don't at all. Plus I was one of teh few that actually started to suffer from Blackberry Thumbs!

thaKing 08-25-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 644822)

Sam

true, true...i hadn't thought of that but that is one thing i miss about the thumbwheel...

John Clark 08-25-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinmontRD (Post 644827)
Good point. Much as I prefer the trackball for everything else, I'd rather have a wheel for volume -- the buttons ARE a pain.

I do agree with that....

however, I like the trackball better, overall.

rambo47 08-25-2007 12:45 PM

I actually wouldn't mind both, now that I think about it. The trackball is in a pretty innocuous place and would be pretty easy to ignore, allowing users to use the old thumb wheel if they preferred. How about an option to disable either one, leaving the user to decide which to use?

GoFrogs 08-26-2007 08:40 AM

WHY can't I have a taco with my trackball????:razz: